Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 11-30-2017, 11:42 AM   #1
ProfessorLongArms

Random Question about the Cancun area

Anybody have any experience fishing this area?

I'm going on a dive trip with some non-fishing friends in January to Isla Mujeres, and planning to take a day for fishing. Given the recent reports, I'd rather be going to Baja

Since it's just me it doesn't make sense to book a boat offshore (starts at 300 bucks for half a day) and I'm trying to find some options. but they look rather non-existent. Google, TripAdvisor, and asking around with our divemaster has yielded very little. Also having trouble even establishing what's protected area and what's not.

At this point I'm open to taking a ferry back over to Cancun and checking out some of the fly guides in the flats. In an ideal world, I'd find someone with a few kayaks outfitted for an inshore trip within a mile or so of launch.

Anybody know something I don't?
ProfessorLongArms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 07:39 AM   #2
Baja_Traveler

The wife and I head down to that area every year in November (just got back 3 weeks ago).

On Isla Mujeres you are going to be very limited - there is a small lagoon on the island that is good for small fish in the 6wt fly rod or trout rod category. Other than that, it is blue water fishing from the island - and you are hitting it the wrong time of the year. Best fishing down there is in May/June.

I think your best bet for a short trip is to go over the the lagoon at Cancun and fish there. If you have more time it would be even better to take the ADO (or if you have money, a flight) to Isla Holbox (pronounced Holboch). There they have great flats fishing for bonefish and permit, tarpon, snook and all manner of mangrove species. Best fishing in all of Yucatan is right there.

I always thought that if I could retire someplace, it would be there - ship down 5-6 Solo Skiffs and some kayaks and go into business renting to people who don't want to pay the 400 bucks for a half day guided trip...
Baja_Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 07:26 PM   #3
ProfessorLongArms

Thanks for the advice! This is super helpful.

I found a really nice guy in Cancun two runs a panga, but it still 300 bucks for four hours.

I think what I’m going to do is scratch my fishing inch in Baja before I go, and just focus on diving on isla.
ProfessorLongArms is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cancun, isla mujeres