Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2016, 11:57 PM   #1
david886720

Kayak paddle advice

Hi all, I'm a newbie to kayak fishing and have occasionally lurked here. Never been on one yet but just purchased an Ocean Kayak Prowler 13 totally bare. I have to purchase a paddle so was wondering what everyone's advice might be. I'm looking at the Werner skagit 230 cm as my height is 5'8". Do you think it's worth paying to get the Carbon Fiber fin blades upgrade for the extra 40$? Planning on using the kayak to fish the bay's first and then hopefully venture out through the surf when I get more experience. Thanks in advance for any thoughts or advice and I've enjoyed reading all the reports on here of y'all catching those monster yt's, tuna, and wsb's over the last year!
david886720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 04:29 AM   #2
Dingokevin

The Skagit is a great paddle. For 40 more to carbon? Should be much more. The Skagit is plastic blades. I would go to Camano with fiberglass blades.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Dingokevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 08:48 AM   #3
Jim Sammons LJKF

You will never regret spending the money and getting the best paddle you can. It is your motor.
It will also help to learn to use it properly, not rocket science but there is technique to paddling and good technique makes all the difference in the world.
JimSammons.com
Jim Sammons LJKF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 10:55 AM   #4
Orca Winfrey

Werners are great paddles. If you can afford it, the fiberglass blades are nice. You do have to take a bit more care with them compared with the plastic though. I'm using a Werner Shuna, which is a high angle paddle, that I got off Craig's for cheap. I love it but I do wonder if a lower angle Camano would have suited me better. Over all, a nice light Paddle does make a difference. The Werner site and visiting OEX will help you decide what's best for your paddling style and budget. I have the same yak you do by the way.

Last edited by Orca Winfrey; 05-26-2016 at 11:03 AM.
Orca Winfrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 06:44 PM   #5
taggermike

Get the best paddle you can. Your going to gave it in your hands for hours on end. The lightest one is the way to go. You won't regret it. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 08:10 PM   #6
TheBoyScout

I have a werner I'm will to part with

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TheBoyScout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 09:52 PM   #7
david886720

Dingokevin, thanks for the advice.

Jim, I think I'll heed your idea and try and get a better paddle.

Orca, I may look at the Camano as you and Dingo both recommend it and it's fiberglass blade. How do you like the Prowler 13 overall?

Mike, thanks for backing up the general consensus on getting a quality paddle. Everyone has made me think more seriously about it.

Boyscout, which Werner? I'll try PM'ing you if I can figure it out here LOL
Old 05-27-2016, 08:09 AM   #8
Orca Winfrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by david886720 View Post
Dingokevin, thanks for the advice.

Orca, I may look at the Camano as you and Dingo both recommend it and it's fiberglass blade. How do you like the Prowler 13 overall?
Love my Prowler. I've had it in some fairly rough conditions and never felt it was over matched. Of course now that I've said that ....... It has plenty of storage and although it doesn't have the rod pod of the Trident, you can store rods in the front hatch if needed. It's also light enough for me to car top on my own and I'm not a big guy. I don't think it can be beat for the money.
Orca Winfrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 08:59 AM   #9
Dave Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingokevin View Post
The Skagit is a great paddle. For 40 more to carbon? Should be much more. The Skagit is plastic blades. I would go to Camano with fiberglass blades.

This got me thinking about paddles. I have a Werner Skagit FG and it's a nice paddle, but if I'm really trying to dig in to pass through a boating lane or similar there's some noticeable flex in the blade. I got to wondering about how the Skagit is marketed, so I read through the specs. The key is "fiberglass reinforced nylon, injection molded blades". The Skagit CF is offering up carbon fiber reinforcement, but we're still talking plastic blades for that extra $40. I think it almost makes more sense to go with either the Skagit FG for the value or Camano for a true fiberglass blade construction.
Dave Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 09:52 AM   #10
Dingokevin

Have a Camano 240 great paddle use it on a kraken 13.5

Dingokevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 07:38 PM   #11
david886720

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Legacy View Post
This got me thinking about paddles. I have a Werner Skagit FG and it's a nice paddle, but if I'm really trying to dig in to pass through a boating lane or similar there's some noticeable flex in the blade. I got to wondering about how the Skagit is marketed, so I read through the specs. The key is "fiberglass reinforced nylon, injection molded blades". The Skagit CF is offering up carbon fiber reinforcement, but we're still talking plastic blades for that extra $40. I think it almost makes more sense to go with either the Skagit FG for the value or Camano for a true fiberglass blade construction.
Thanks for the input Dave. I decided to go for a Camano after a lot of thought. Nice to hear your thoughts after actual time on the water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingokevin View Post
Have a Camano 240 great paddle use it on a kraken 13.5

Another vote for the Camano. Thanks Dingokevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orca Winfrey View Post
Love my Prowler. I've had it in some fairly rough conditions and never felt it was over matched. Of course now that I've said that ....... It has plenty of storage and although it doesn't have the rod pod of the Trident, you can store rods in the front hatch if needed. It's also light enough for me to car top on my own and I'm not a big guy. I don't think it can be beat for the money.
I feel good about getting this yak after hearing your review. Thanks Orca for your thoughts. Can't wait to get on the water once I get all the necessities!
Old 05-31-2016, 08:58 PM   #12
Harry Hill

reading the specs on all these paddles got me to thinking. After years of using fiberglass shovels I've found that time and weather causes to glass handles to deteriorate and you will start getting fiberglass splinters in your hands, if carbon fiber weathers the same way it would be even worse. Who has used the same paddle for a few years and how is it holding up?
Old 05-31-2016, 09:20 PM   #13
MrPatrick

My Onno paddle probably 10 years old and I have no issue with the carbon fiber coming apart.

MrPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 09:28 PM   #14
Harry Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPatrick View Post
My Onno paddle probably 10 years old and I have no issue with the carbon fiber coming apart

thank you, maybe they are using a different resin, I know I just threw away another shovel. I could wear gloves but I don't always have gloves handy. I was just wondering how the carbon fiber shafts are holding up.
Old 06-01-2016, 12:24 AM   #15
King Saba

When I used to paddle I was sporting a Malibu Stealth 12. It's stealthy because I went pretty dang slow.

My first paddle was a POS aluminum paddle with Polypropylene blades. It weighed 42oz even though the manufacturer BSes you with a 35.6oz rating. Paddling for 6-7 hours at a time made for a heck of an endurance workout since the winds and current were always blowing me around and the kayak could not carry a cadence to save its life. I then went to a Werner Camano Hooked and my god did it make a world of difference. 27.5oz!!! The significant weight reduction in the paddle allowed me to paddle stronger, longer, and with less overall effort since I wasn't constantly slinging a beating stick around.

I have found that I'm more of a high angle paddler to which this paddle is probably more suited for a low angle paddler, but it works well for both applications. It hits that sweet spot. If I could go back I think I would have gotten a Shuna like Orca did. You get a lot more power with each stroke and in the prowler it's a great combo.
King Saba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 04:45 PM   #16
sandico

I have had a Werner Shuna for about 13 years. My first paddle and it is great. I have used it on all widths of kayaks in the 230cm length, I'm 5'10", and it has worked. It is your motor, invest in the paddle.

Kerry Peeler
OEX Mission Bay
sandico is offline   Reply With Quote