Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 08-31-2005, 01:33 PM   #1
Mike K.

Battery/Water proof boxes locally and less expensive.

This may be old news to some of you but I ran across a place in El Cajon that sells Pelican boxes for what seems to be a pretty good price. They are on the web at Cases4less.com but they sell directly out of their offices in El Cajon at 1267 Vernon way Ph# (619) 449-8044. For those of you who have a Malibu Xfactor with the new bait tank, the 1120 model box fits well between the inlet and outlet tubes and is the perfect size for the battery and switch. P.S> thanks for the replies on mounting the transducer...am concerned with bubbles in the goop but will test it out this weekend...look for the guy on the lime green x-factor rocking back and forth, screaming and pushing buttons .
Old 08-31-2005, 04:48 PM   #2
tattuna

I was impatient to order a box and rigged this one up...
Went to the 99 cent store and bought a plastic box. Then went to the hardware store and bought a cork, and a piece of rubber tubing to push the cork in. Cut a hole in the lid of the container and Gooped the rubber piece to it. Bore a hole through the cork and slid my wires through. Then Gooped the bottom of the container to the bottom of my yak. Got one under the center hatch for my FF, and one under the rear hatch for my bait pump. The Goop holds the container in strong enough to flip my yak upside down with the battery in it, but will rip out easliy if I want.

tattuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 05:07 PM   #3
Siebler

Re: Battery/Water proof boxes locally and less expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike K.
look for the guy on the lime green x-factor rocking back and forth, screaming and pushing buttons .
sorry dude that title has been taken by me

nothing ever works for me. lol

Siebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 06:35 PM   #4
aguachico

alternative

I've been thru many different battery boxes. All made some bought. The best battery box is a dry bag. Just leave yourself enough wire to be able to wrap it in the bag. Then it will go into any book of cranny of your yak, not slide around, break or leak.
Hope this helps.

AC
aguachico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 06:42 PM   #5
Dennis

Hey mike,
when you mount the transducer, you want to goop the hell out of it. then when you put it in place work it side to side so that the bubbles work its way out. also, put some weight on it to keep it from moving. with the transducer mounted let the kayak sit for a couple of days. it should be enough time for the goop to settle. late, Dennis

tattuna- where did you get your work done. i'm looking to get a couple of more tats and some cover-ups. Thanks, Dennis
Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 08:32 PM   #6
Blair
Junior

probably in his shop =)
Blair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 09:16 PM   #7
tattuna

Dennis, Blair's right. I've had work done by my co-workers and several other people. Got a shop out here in Pasadena. Check out shoguntattoo.com for more. Don't want to use this site to advertise my business, so you can pm me if you have any ?'s. Charles
tattuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 04:10 PM   #8
mars

I use a small “lunch-box-cooler” thing to hold my battery. It has a hard plastic insert and zips closed. It cost around four bucks and works fine. I actually got rolled last weekend for the first time (launched in over head surf) and had several gallons of water inside the boat. Not a drop got in my “battery box”.

Approximate dimensions (just guessing – currently out of town):
L 8-10 inches
W 5-6 inches
H 4-5 inches

-kvn
mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 09:52 PM   #9
norrinradd12

Send a message via AIM to norrinradd12 Send a message via Yahoo to norrinradd12
tatuna that's a bad ass tattoo
norrinradd12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 08:58 PM   #10
swinginFish

Discount Pelican Cases

Mike,

Appreciate the tip on discounted Pelican cases. Have used many different kinds of containers for my 12V 7AH batteries, and all, in time, have left me wanting. Bought 2 cases at your referenced store, and think these the best thus far for withstand the bouncing and elements encountered in surf launches and landings. Thanks again.

Avery
swinginFish is offline   Reply With Quote