Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2011, 08:58 PM   #1
DavidT

Spendy iPhone 4 case

http://www.lifeproof.com/

They claim good to 6 feet deep. Wonder how it would survive a surf crash?
DavidT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 09:03 PM   #2
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidT View Post
http://www.lifeproof.com/

They claim good to 6 feet deep. Wonder how it would survive a surf crash?
Most yakkers get tossed in 2' - 3' of water so I would say YES, it would survive.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 05:49 AM   #3
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

The real question is if you would find it. I put my stuff in a ottebox waterproof case.
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 07:21 AM   #4
poorpaddy

Send a message via Yahoo to poorpaddy
Looks like a solid case after watching the youtube videos but I would like some kind of tether slot so that I can attach a floatie on it in case I am in 20-100ft of water can't retrieve it from the yak. Once think I don't understand is how do you press the home button on the front of the iPhone?
poorpaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 07:36 AM   #5
sandydiego
Rum Pirate

Been using this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Over-Board-Wat.../dp/B0023SNZQS

Have not had any problems with it and have been using it for a year now. For $20 I will get a new one soon. Nothing lasts for long on the yak....... Also came with a neck cord that is adjustable.
sandydiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 08:06 AM   #6
Siebler

We have been selling the heck out of the DryCorp Dry Case. These ones have a vacuum deal on them so that you can pump the air out and use the touch screen with no bugs. Customers have been very happy with them, and they are only 40.00.

http://www.kayakfishingsupplies.com/...ne-Case/Detail

Siebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 12:08 PM   #7
Lets_Fish

X2 on the DryCase. I have one and love it. And if you like listening to you tunes get the waterproof headphones!
Lets_Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 12:56 PM   #8
T Bone

get a G,Zone commando.

problem solved.

"Who among you,if your son asked for a fish would give them a serpent " Jesus Matt. 7:10
T Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 03:06 PM   #9
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

The folks at LifeProof have asked me to do a review of this case from the prospective of a kayak fisherman. I have had this device for the past couple of weeks and am very impressed. Unlike the flexible plastic cases, this one is not bulky. It is only slightly larger than the phone itself. Unlike most of the hard cases, all the phone functions work perfectly while the phone is in the case. You can even film video underwater.

Someone mentioned a lanyard for this case. This is very important to me as well since I like to wear my phone around my neck for easy access. LifeProof has a floating lanyard in the works but is not yet available. I had to jerry-rig one for my purposes. It is not pretty but it works. Lanyard.jpg

I have not yet taken this thing fishing but hope to get out sometime this week. When I do, I plan to put this thing through its paces. This may included intentionally flipping my yak during a launch or landing.

Before anyone calls me an idiot, you should know that I have checked this thing out very carefully. I soaked the case in water for several hours before putting the phone in... no leaks. I have used the phone in my pool and even shot some video underwater. No problems so far. This thing is nearly bulletproof. I have faith that it will provide more than enough protection under just about any conditions that I am likely to encounter while on the water in a kayak.

Stay Tuned.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 04:13 PM   #10
fishsouthcounty

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsafety View Post
The folks at LifeProof have asked me to do a review of this case from the prospective of a kayak fisherman. I have had this device for the past couple of weeks and am very impressed. Unlike the flexible plastic cases, this one is not bulky. It is only slightly larger than the phone itself. Unlike most of the hard cases, all the phone functions work perfectly while the phone is in the case. You can even film video underwater.

Someone mentioned a lanyard for this case. This is very important to me as well since I like to wear my phone around my neck for easy access. LifeProof has a floating lanyard in the works but is not yet available. I had to jerry-rig one for my purposes. It is not pretty but it works. Attachment 4814

I have not yet taken this thing fishing but hope to get out sometime this week. When I do, I plan to put this thing through its paces. This may included intentionally flipping my yak during a launch or landing.

Before anyone calls me an idiot, you should know that I have checked this thing out very carefully. I soaked the case in water for several hours before putting the phone in... no leaks. I have used the phone in my pool and even shot some video underwater. No problems so far. This thing is nearly bulletproof. I have faith that it will provide more than enough protection under just about any conditions that I am likely to encounter while on the water in a kayak.

Stay Tuned.

Bob
Very cool Bob. Definitely let us know your thoughts as it definitely sounds like a sound investment as it is practical beyond just being out on the kayak...god knows the iPhones dont handle a short drop to any hard surface very well. Does the case only work for the 4 or is it compatible with the 3G also??

Tim
fishsouthcounty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 04:20 PM   #11
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishsouthcounty View Post
Very cool Bob. Definitely let us know your thoughts as it definitely sounds like a sound investment as it is practical beyond just being out on the kayak...god knows the iPhones dont handle a short drop to any hard surface very well. Does the case only work for the 4 or is it compatible with the 3G also??

Tim
As of now, this case is only available for the iPhone 4. One for the iPad is in the works as is one for the iPhone 5. The company tells me that they will make cases for other phones down the road but since the iPhone is one of the best sellers out there, this is their first target.

One thing that has not been mentioned so far is that this case will supposedly protect a phone from a drop height of up to six feet. Looking at this device, I don't doubt it.

Bob
Old 08-23-2011, 08:50 PM   #12
old_rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siebler View Post
We have been selling the heck out of the DryCorp Dry Case. These ones have a vacuum deal on them so that you can pump the air out and use the touch screen with no bugs. Customers have been very happy with them, and they are only 40.00.

http://www.kayakfishingsupplies.com/...ne-Case/Detail
I have not been able to use the touch screen when all the air is sucked out. It acts as if I am touching the screen in places that I am not touching.

Been using the OverBoard for the phone for a while. The other day I decided to test it with paper inside and completely submerging it, the paper got wet. Not sure if I did something wrong sealing it shut.

For the digital camera I have used the Dicapac - zip closure and folds over with velcro. Seems the best so far.
old_rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 09:50 AM   #13
poorpaddy

Send a message via Yahoo to poorpaddy
How does the home button work? Is there a cutout in the front, is the protective screen flexible or does it have a button built into the case? Please tell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsafety View Post

Someone mentioned a lanyard for this case. This is very important to me as well since I like to wear my phone around my neck for easy access. LifeProof has a floating lanyard in the works but is not yet available. I had to jerry-rig one for my purposes. It is not pretty but it works. Attachment 4814

Stay Tuned.

Bob
poorpaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 10:27 AM   #14
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by poorpaddy View Post
How does the home button work? Is there a cutout in the front, is the protective screen flexible or does it have a button built into the case? Please tell.
The entire front screen is covered with a clear, flexible skin which allows all the touch screen functions to work as if the skin was not there. The film does not interfere with the phone's proximity sensor the way some of the flexible plastic cases can.

The home button is covered by a flexible recessed button which activates the phone's home button.

Bob
Old 08-29-2011, 09:58 AM   #15
PAL

I'm very interested to hear how it tests out. 6 ft isn't that deep. A surf crash in 3+ probably produces more pressure. I've had VHF cases fail in similar circumstances. Any geniuses here know the answer?
PAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 08:04 AM   #16
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

I have just about finished my testing of the LifeProof waterproof case. Here is the tease. This thing really works well. It remained waterproof for three hours when tested in my pool at a depth of four feet.

Before publishing the results, I sent the manufacturer an advance copy of the review. They asked me to hold off publishing the review until they had a chance to show me the newest version of this product which will be released in a week or two. The newest version offers a waterproof rating to a greater depth and improved sound, among other enhancements.

I agreed to their request, so please give me another week or so. If anyone needs immediate info on this product, please PM me.

Bob
Old 09-02-2011, 09:03 AM   #17
mazilla
advocatus diaboli

I bought this guy a few days ago on Ebay...10 bucks shipped. I haven't gotten it yet, but I don't expect too much for 10 bucks, just to be able to listen to music clearly (and still hear the world around me) when I'm paddling long distances. It's "splashproof" whatever that means, I'm going to test it empty with a hose before I put my phone in it!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/320667078588...84.m1439.l2649
mazilla is offline   Reply With Quote