Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2015, 09:12 AM   #1
Dirty Curti

Transducer mounting

I've researched this for a good couple of hours and it seems to be about 50/50 on whether the transducer needs to face forward or not.

I just installed the transducer from the Lowrance Elite5 HDI to the inside of my yak. It sits better facing with the point to the rear instead of the bow. I can see that it would matter if on a boat or external mount for less drag but 'DOES IT MATTER WHAT DIRECTION when mounting inside the hull of a kayak?

Dirty Curti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 10:32 AM   #2
acorad

I'm going to go with no, traditional cone and downscan are not directional.

(Although, regardless of whether the transducer is pointed forward or backward, the downscan has the farthest reach to the sides when the 'ducer is installed "straight," iow installed parallel to the hull's spine/direction of travel.)

If you had side scan, which shows directional (left and right) views, then I'd say yes.

Andy

Last edited by acorad; 11-03-2015 at 10:39 AM.
acorad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 12:38 PM   #3
_Obed
Bird nest master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Curti View Post
I've researched this for a good couple of hours and it seems to be about 50/50 on whether the transducer needs to face forward or not.

I just installed the transducer from the Lowrance Elite5 HDI to the inside of my yak. It sits better facing with the point to the rear instead of the bow. I can see that it would matter if on a boat or external mount for less drag but 'DOES IT MATTER WHAT DIRECTION when mounting inside the hull of a kayak?
If you don't mind me asking, what type of goop did you use, or how did you install the ducer inside?i called oex and they said silicone it which i don't want.

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk
_Obed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 02:56 PM   #4
Dirty Curti

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Obed View Post
If you don't mind me asking, what type of goop did you use, or how did you install the ducer inside?i called oex and they said silicone it which i don't want.

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk
I use Marine Goop. I did end up turning it around to the correct position.

What I did is cut out the shape of the transducer from a 1 inch foam material, taped it into position and squeezed some goop into the hole that I cut out. I let it settle for a few minutes and then gently placed it into the goop from nose to tail and then put a block over that to keep it in place for 24 hours. Worked like a charm.

Tested it out on Sunday and was as clear as a bell up to 300' of water. Saw lots of bait and kelp and a few fish.

Dirty Curti is offline   Reply With Quote