Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2010, 02:48 PM   #1
sasha

A few Qs if i may

To start with im all new to kayaks. Just got the stealth14 and want to take it to the water for the first time. What are good beaches to lunch in the area of Topanga and PCH or Malibu. For the first time i want to just get out there and cruise and get the feel for the boat. After this i would need to get some rods and reels. For now i dont have any as everything got stolen from me last year. For just cruising in the kayak what is a good idea to carry. I got the PFD and im sure some water would be great. Anything else??
What are good rods and reels to get for fishing off a kayak?? Dont have lots of money laying around but learned a long time ago that buying something cheap is too expensive. So i would get what ever i can when i can. What are the good lines and what weight is good for the ocean. Any other advice anyone is willing to share??? What else do i need to know. Rather ask then learn the hard way.

Sasha
sasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 03:00 PM   #2
JoeBeck

I don't know where to start, that is a lot of different questions could be a very long response. I would recommend narrowing your questions down and search the site.

Safety equipment needed for kayaking
Good kayak launch spots in the LA area
Species of Fish to target in the LA area
Best fishing tackle to target these species
Rigging a kayak for fishing

I bet you can get a lot of knowledge if you go to this kayak shop
16910 Pacific coast Highway

Sunset Beach CA 92649

For $125 buck you can take a 6 hour kayak fishing class. You can't beat that! Full day of fishing with an experienced kayaker and angler
http://www.oexsunsetbeach.com/411.html
JoeBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 03:07 PM   #3
Jzo

Malibu Pier is probably the easiest launch, 23000 Pacific Coast Hwy Malibu, CA.
Jzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 03:47 PM   #4
sasha

JoeBeck for now money is tight so i would learn as i go. With as much advice as i can get.
Jzo thanks for the heads up on the malibu pier. I would go and scout the area this weekend.

Sasha
Old 09-24-2010, 04:58 PM   #5
mtnbykr2

There are alot of good people out here, and the majority would or could answer just about any question you could think of...
Just check in every once in a while undoubtedly the information is alresdy here for the gatheren, welcome to BWE, alot of good equipment for sale or trade too, have a great time out there.
I 'm always up for goin out fishin with other people the more the marrier... let me know when and where and we will try and be there, I can't make the tourney this weekend but I am tryin to set up somethin for next weekend in Dana....let me know if you are interested....b
mtnbykr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 07:30 PM   #6
jbm

Bring a hand bilge pump. They are $15-20 and worth their weight in gold. I used mine on my very first outing and was damn glad I had brought one.
jbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 05:17 AM   #7
Jzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbm View Post
Bring a hand bilge pump.
x2

http://www.kayakfishingsupplies.com/...ak-Pump/Detail
Old 09-25-2010, 12:39 PM   #8
sasha

Is it normal to expect alot of water to get inside the kayak?? I guess i better get one...
Old 09-25-2010, 08:39 PM   #9
Jzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasha View Post
Is it normal to expect alot of water to get inside the kayak?? I guess i better get one...
Pump usually is used for emergency when water get inside the hull, which should not happen unless crack in the kayak or hatch opened. Its normal to have some water in the kayak but not a lot, if so unplug the scupper plug.

Last edited by Jzo; 09-25-2010 at 08:55 PM.
Old 09-25-2010, 09:00 PM   #10
robmandel

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasha View Post
What are good beaches to lunch in the area of Topanga and PCH or Malibu. For the first time i want to just get out there and cruise and get the feel for the boat. Sasha
I'm a malibu guy. drop in here every now and then as I like to see how the other half lives

that and drool over the

anyways, first, check out kayaksportfishing.com. more malibu oriented site.

up thataways, lots of options. use google maps and google earth for help here. also californiacoastline.org.

malibu pier, easy launch. corral canyon, fairly easy launch. both easy access too. good beginner beaches.

above there, esco (escondido creek). can be easy launch, but can be tough. easy parking. short flight of stairs.

farther north, dume/westward. $2 parking. usually launchable, but can be brutal. i'd suggest a little experience first.

then leo carrilo, south is free parking on street but long stairs down. north leo is a park, opens at 7, $12 to park. but walk up to beach. south leo is a surfer beach, which obviously means surf. sometimes it's tricky but it has long breaks which means you can time it. still, not a beginner beach.

then county line. easy access. definitely an experienced only launch.

as for fishing, up and down, there's bass, rockfish, halibut, all the usual coastal fishees. no secrets really, plenty of kelp, lots of reefs and structure, etc. bait, plastics, etc., all that. occasionally bigger things but usually not a regular thing.

start simple, work your way up.

below the pier, I'm not as familiar with. again, use the interwebnetconfabulatorathon to locate access points. basically from point dume to palos verdes is santa monica bay. as good as local, coastal inshore fishing can be. get on the water, get a line wet. be safe.
robmandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 12:54 PM   #11
sasha

Robmandel thanks for the heads up on the other site its right up my alley. Just joint that site as well. looks like a very active site which is great.

Sasha