Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 09-17-2015, 06:11 PM   #21
buddha

Travis Orthman is in the military and is planning on coming but he needs to carpool for this trip. I beleive that he contacted Mr Puka Shell.
buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 06:18 PM   #22
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
Great, hope they post here so I know what is happening. This is going to be the BEST trip of the year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddha View Post
Travis Orthman is in the military and is planning on coming but he needs to carpool for this trip. I beleive that he contacted Mr Puka Shell.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 07:58 PM   #23
Mahigeer

Welcome back Bob.

How was it? Any fish stories? Any pictures?
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 08:05 PM   #24
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahigeer View Post
Welcome back Bob.

How was it? Any fish stories? Any pictures?
GO back to the end of the 1st page of this post.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 09-18-2015, 07:17 AM   #25
Mahigeer

Thanks Bob.

I myself get lost using this thing called computer.

However, this is how I have learned to post pictures. Others may have a better way.

First I upload from either the camera, or using the card in the camera to a website called Picasa3.com.

Once you register on the site, you just click on "upload" icon and it does it.

Then I choose the pictures I want to save and give it a file name.

Once it is loaded on Picasa3, I again chose the pictures that I want to post and click on "export" icon. This provides a file on the computer.

In the past, I was able to get an "IMG" link from Picasa3. For some reason I cannot now.

Thus, I now go to another website called photobucket.com. Once I upload from my computer to photobucket, it provides me with the "IMG" code.

When you insert the IMG code in the text box, the picture appears on the screen.

The moral of the story is that somehow you need an IMG code for every picture to post that pictures.

It can be intimidating at first, but it becomes second nature once you try several times.

This is an example of an IMG code. I made it incomplete, so the code and not the picture appears here.

http://i444.photobucket.com/albums/qq163/balickchi/DSCN2303.jpg[/IMG]

If I can do it anybody can do it.

Last edited by Mahigeer; 09-18-2015 at 08:07 AM.
Old 09-18-2015, 08:03 AM   #26
Mahigeer

Here is the picture of the above IMG code.

Last edited by Mahigeer; 09-18-2015 at 08:09 AM.
Old 09-18-2015, 09:53 AM   #27
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Fuel update

Mahigeer and Gr8fuldude, this is for YOU. We left San Diego full of fuel, topped off in San Filipe for $50.00 then filled up when I got back to Vista for $71.00. So for the October trip you can expect to pay about $40.00 each for diesel fuel. Truck averaged 19.6 MPG, with just a little over 3000 miles on it.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 09-18-2015, 10:23 AM   #28
walrus

I want to start with a big shout out for what MakoBob is doing making these trips sooooooo good. The new camp he's working on finishing by the end of the year can only be described a location "fishing trip to remember for a lifetime" GOOD!

Thanks again Mako for everything. The other members of the private trip will take a couple of weeks off next year to drive a total of fourty-five hundred miles just to do it again, and that in it's self is a testament to how great of a time you provide.

FISHING REPORT for the October group.

Things started out pretty slow because of weather (over one inch of rain in a hour on Wednesday night) mucking up the water to near zero visibility. The water quickly clear up, and the clearer it got the better the bite. The fish are biting everything jigs, plugs, spoons. swimmers, spinbaits and irons.

The Rooster fish are out in force all along the beach, a nod to the fly fishermen. I did not even try to target them. I caught my personal best Sierra, big and fat. Lots of Spotted Bass, Rivera Grouper, and some monster Triggerfish mixed in with the usual sized. Released a half dozen small Leopard Grouper (Cabrilla) and one that pushed 9 or 10 pounds (also released). The fish of the week however were the Orange Mouth Corvina, lots were caught in the 19 to 24 inch range, but we saw larger ones that would take the jig we were using.

I found a small group of Yellowtail near the cliffs in 18 feet of water tearing up a bait school. A quick cast and I was hooked up before the splash settled, and two seconds later it was running down between the rocks and broke my line. I grabbed my backup rig and tossed out a candy bar again, same result as before. The water was two shallow with to many boulders to stop from being rocked. The next few days I charged every bait school I saw active on the surface, but didn't find the yellows again.

While fishing the beach for Corvina we witnessed a large feeding frenzy of some large fish a half to three quarters of a mile out. The boil broken into two distinct boils and lasted just over ten minutes. We could not get there in time.

It's great fishing right now, water temperature was 88 degrees F. You guys are in for a great trip, take plenty of tackle and take some wire at times.
Old 09-18-2015, 04:41 PM   #29
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Thank you and your brothers, Ben it was another great trip. As you know the camp is moving along, Concrete floor and ramp should be done by mid October with the bathrooms following in November. Should be ready to host a dozen people for NEW YEAR'S 2016!!! I plan on leaving here on the 26/27th of Dec and coming back on the 9th of Jan 2016. BWE is invited, this place is dedicated to our COMMUNITY. You need not come for the whole trip. Come and stay a few days or the whole time. Last year Chuck D nailed WSB two days in a row. It is easy to get to and if you cannot caravan with me I will have signs posted and give travel directions. 350 easy miles from San Diego.

This was ONLY a dream 20 years ago, soon it will be a reality. I hope you all get the chance to enjoy it. Tight lines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by walrus View Post
I want to start with a big shout out for what MakoBob is doing making these trips sooooooo good. The new camp he's working on finishing by the end of the year can only be described a location "fishing trip to remember for a lifetime" GOOD!

Thanks again Mako for everything. The other members of the private trip will take a couple of weeks off next year to drive a total of fourty-five hundred miles just to do it again, and that in it's self is a testament to how great of a time you provide.

FISHING REPORT for the October group.

Things started out pretty slow because of weather (over one inch of rain in a hour on Wednesday night) mucking up the water to near zero visibility. The water quickly clear up, and the clearer it got the better the bite. The fish are biting everything jigs, plugs, spoons. swimmers, spinbaits and irons.

The Rooster fish are out in force all along the beach, a nod to the fly fishermen. I did not even try to target them. I caught my personal best Sierra, big and fat. Lots of Spotted Bass, Rivera Grouper, and some monster Triggerfish mixed in with the usual sized. Released a half dozen small Leopard Grouper (Cabrilla) and one that pushed 9 or 10 pounds (also released). The fish of the week however were the Orange Mouth Corvina, lots were caught in the 19 to 24 inch range, but we saw larger ones that would take the jig we were using.

I found a small group of Yellowtail near the cliffs in 18 feet of water tearing up a bait school. A quick cast and I was hooked up before the splash settled, and two seconds later it was running down between the rocks and broke my line. I grabbed my backup rig and tossed out a candy bar again, same result as before. The water was two shallow with to many boulders to stop from being rocked. The next few days I charged every bait school I saw active on the surface, but didn't find the yellows again.

While fishing the beach for Corvina we witnessed a large feeding frenzy of some large fish a half to three quarters of a mile out. The boil broken into two distinct boils and lasted just over ten minutes. We could not get there in time.

It's great fishing right now, water temperature was 88 degrees F. You guys are in for a great trip, take plenty of tackle and take some wire at times.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 09-19-2015, 10:30 AM   #30
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Here is the CREW for17-24 October's trip to Gonzaga.

Mr Pukashell
Svendawg
Cookie Monster
Buddha
Defjack
Mahigeer
Monstahfish
Gr8fuldude
GunRunner
Makobob

Svendawg and Cookie Monster are on a diet and will be bringing their own meals.
I will bring SHRIMP for my meal and have it cooked and served at the restaurant.

We have more people than nights so we can team up to keep costs down. Let me know if you want to do that , with who and night you want.

17th Defjack Brats and beans Cooked in CAMP
18th Mr Pukashell and GunRunner Carne Asada and fish tacos in CAMP.
19th Makobob Chicken MOLE at RESTARUANT
20th Jeff and Monstahfish Paella, rice ??? Cooked in CAMP.
21st Jeff and Makobob Fish/Sea food GUMBO Fish, shrimp, scallops and sausage in CAMP
22th Mahigeer and Gr8fuldude Fish dinner at RESTARUANT
23rd Makobob Shrimp in garlic butter, tortillas, rice, beans at RESTAURANT.
24th BACK HOME.

So that leaves 5 nights/teams ANYONE not doing a meal will be given a list of things to bring to make it fair to all. I need your input in the next few days if possible. Plan on cooking for 7-8 persons or bring meat to restaurant for that many. For those who plan on fish meals if you do not catch fish then eating from the menu at restaurant would be about $15.00 per head rather then the $5.00 per head setup. Any questions please let me know. Tight lines.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN

Last edited by makobob; 09-22-2015 at 10:44 AM.
Old 09-19-2015, 01:29 PM   #31
defjack

I can do brats and beans one nite. Jack
defjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 01:58 PM   #32
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Quote:
Originally Posted by defjack View Post
I can do brats and beans one nite. Jack
Easy, Jack I put you in for the 17th, out first night in camp. Thanks for your quick response.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 09-19-2015, 10:32 PM   #33
Mahigeer

Bob,

Thanks for the fuel cost estimate. It is a bargain. There also should be the water fee and road fees to share.

As for the food part, put me down whatever night it works for the group.

I guess me and Gr8fuldude can share a night. If I (we) catch fish, then I (we) can donate, if not I am ok to pay. I rather not bring meat or other perishable items. That way I don't worry about anybody getting sick on my (our) night.

Providing of course Gr8fuldude agrees with the above.
Old 09-20-2015, 06:02 AM   #34
MrPukaShell

I will get together with Gunrunner on the dinner deal. On another note did anyone take a panga out? I for one would like to take one out a day or two
MrPukaShell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 09:31 AM   #35
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Of course it is a bargin, the reason for these trips is to get people to Baja. My truck helps keep cost low. Sharing your truck with others cuts costs in half. There are no road fees going through Mexicali and water should be $5.00 per person for the week, if we use more it would go up, but $5.00 usually covers it unless someone leaves the water running.

As to meat, freeze it at home, ice it and I will put it into the freezer when we get to camp, we have never had meat go bad on a one week trip even without the freezer.

Quote:
Bob,

Thanks for the fuel cost estimate. It is a bargain. There also should be the water fee and road fees to share.

As for the food part, put me down whatever night it works for the group.

I guess me and Gr8fuldude can share a night. If I (we) catch fish, then I (we) can donate, if not I am ok to pay. I rather not bring meat or other perishable items. That way I don't worry about anybody getting sick on my (our) night.

Providing of course Gr8fuldude agrees with the above.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 09-20-2015, 09:42 AM   #36
makobob
Baitless on Baja

I told Capt we might need panga for a day or two, I will need to know what days you want, I would say 3-4 persons max. Please let me know by 10th of October so I can let him know.

GUYS, we need to vary the meals a little unless you WANT fish, shrimp most of the time, ll good for me, up to you. Tight lines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPukaShell View Post
I will get together with Gunrunner on the dinner deal. On another note did anyone take a panga out? I for one would like to take one out a day or two

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 09-20-2015, 10:07 AM   #37
Mahigeer

Is there a deal that could be worked out with the restaurant, that would allow us to store fish in their freezer for the duration.

Otherwise if we vacuum pack our fillets, would they hold it for us for a fee?
Old 09-20-2015, 10:10 AM   #38
buddha

I could eat fish every day easily.
buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 10:19 AM   #39
makobob
Baitless on Baja

When we get in camp, I take out meat for meals cooked at the restuarant over to them and let them know what nights and times we will be there to eat. Also what meat for what night. They store in freezer until needed. The more we use their cooking the easier it is to ask them to store our fish for takng home. Your bags need to have your name on them. By the end of the year I expect to have my own freezer up and running at the new place so this would not be a concern for 2016 trips.

Quote:
Is there a deal that could be worked out with the restaurant, that would allow us to store fish in their freezer for the duration.

Otherwise if we vacuum pack our fillets, would they hold it for us for a fee?

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 09-20-2015, 10:34 AM   #40
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Jeff, I usually keep on hand a few cans of tuna, sardines, and anchovies in assorted sauces for your fine dining pleasure. Bon apatite amigo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddha View Post
I could eat fish every day easily.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN