Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-2009, 09:25 AM   #1
Sherm

Yak buggin with the gang 1-19-09

Went down after work for a little yak hoopin with the gang. I arrived at SI and Maggie (nunyabusiness) was already there setting up. I rigged my gear and waited for Jim (Spyder) and Nick (Masta). They showed after Maggie had already hit the water. I was ready to go so I hit the water and Jim and Nick were close behind me.

I met up with Maggie on the water and set hoops for the first pull. Had a cigar and waited for the wingman and his kid to arrive. They arrived and set their hoops and I went to my first pull. Man the net was heavy. Pulled up a net with seven bugs in it and a couple of big ass crabs. I gave the crabs to Jim. Things were looking good. Only one was a keeper and the rest went back. Well at least they were crawling. The next net had 5 bugs with one keeper. The next two had three shorts each.

I reset the nets and started back on the stoagie. Jim, Nick and Maggie started to pull there nets and we were pulling a lot of shorts. Shorts were the name of the game last night. I managed three keepers and a boat load of "clickers". Threw back probably 20 shorts during the nite along with a spider crab and two rockfish. It was a beautiful night out with very little boat traffic and CALM water. A couple of big swells did come through during the night and made it fun. No wind at all. The stoagie was easy to light last night.

On the paddle in around 10:30 we made one last set. Ran into another yak Bd'er on the water and said hello for a while. That set was one keeper for Nick and a few shorts for Maggie. We hit the beach around 11;30 and called it a night.

Another cruddy night in San Diego that's for sure. Thanks gang for the company last night. Had fun hoopin with you all.

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by Sherm; 01-20-2009 at 11:11 AM.
Sherm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 10:07 AM   #2
gcsasher
Junior

Hi Sherm, it was good to finally see another kayaker out last night most of the time I'm out numbered by boats, anyways nice talking to you, my night was a good one, I dropped the nets about 10:45 first net was 7 shorts 2nd net 4 short 2 keepers 3rd net 3 short 1 keeper reset the nets and went fishing got lots of small bass all released and went back to pull the nets total for the 3 nets 11 short 1 sculpin 1 small crab reset in new location fished then last pull 6 short 1 just legal and 1 monster total 5 keepers.
See you on the water
gcsasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 10:30 AM   #3
JD

Crabs

Where are you guys dropping for Crab, I've paddled out from SI a few times and have had no luck to speak of....thinking I'm dropping over sand.

I'm not looking for anybodys secret spots but if you could point me in the right direction i'd appriciate it.

Thanks,
Old 01-20-2009, 11:08 AM   #4
Sherm

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcsasher View Post
Hi Sherm, it was good to finally see another kayaker out last night most of the time I'm out numbered by boats, anyways nice talking to you, my night was a good one, I dropped the nets about 10:45 first net was 7 shorts 2nd net 4 short 2 keepers 3rd net 3 short 1 keeper reset the nets and went fishing got lots of small bass all released and went back to pull the nets total for the 3 nets 11 short 1 sculpin 1 small crab reset in new location fished then last pull 6 short 1 just legal and 1 monster total 5 keepers.
See you on the water
I knew they were going to start crawling good for the time you were out there. Tide should have been just right. Dark last night wasn't it? Also....any problems with the sea lions? We had one bugging us for a while.

Nice meeting you on the water as well. I'll give you a pm next time we head out.
Old 01-21-2009, 02:46 PM   #5
Sherm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
Where are you guys dropping for Crab, I've paddled out from SI a few times and have had no luck to speak of....thinking I'm dropping over sand.

I'm not looking for anybodys secret spots but if you could point me in the right direction i'd appriciate it.

Thanks,

Loook for submerged rocky areas around SD Bay and you can find them. That's about a big as a hint as I want to give. Good luck.
Old 01-21-2009, 03:59 PM   #6
BT

Another successful night Sherm. Good job once again.
Old 01-22-2009, 07:26 AM   #7
Sherm

Let me know when your schedule lets you get out. Will hit the water for bugs and stoagies