Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2015, 05:22 AM   #1
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

The First 100

Well I have been in Bahia Asuncion for 100 days now and thought I would give a few observations.
My expectations of living in this area have certainly been met or exceeded an all fronts. The fishing has been fantastic. I knew that I was moving here during the worst time for fishing. March through May are typically down months for fishing yellowtail in this area. I have been concentrating on yellows almost 100 percent of the time. Everything else is just by catch, and there has been plenty of that too. To date I have caught 27 yellows greater than 15 pounds. I am not keeping track of one's under that size but there really haven't been that many of them. Maybe 10 or 15. The largest so far has been 47.8 lbs. By catches include the ever present calicos, monster sheepshead and a few of the biggest ocean whitefish that I have ever seen. When the swell and wind permit, I tend to get out every other day but there have been a couple times where conditions have kept me on the beach for 5 days straight. Truth be told, I could get out on any day but you know the old saying "there are old pilots and bold pilots but no old bold pilots" The same goes for kayak fishermen. There is just no reason for me to take any risks down here. BTW I have killed 3 fish since I have been here.
May and June are the months that wsb show in this area. They do not see many of them but they tend to be tankers. I keep hoping I run into one. The local gill netters are finding them in their nets now but I haven't seen one yet.
I have made a few side trips to other parts of baja and most of them I have reported on them here. Had a great few days with Andy and his posse in Bahia Gonzaga and Andy was nice enough to deliver a care package from my son Zed, including my mail and flea stuff for the dog.

I made one trip to LA Bocana and took my yak and gear with me but did not launch. That Estero just didn't look that inviting to me. Quite honestly, if I had to take that road to the Grand Canyon, I would not be impressed with it either. About 40 miles of ugly washboard and wash outs. Close to 3 hrs to go 40 miles. I will give the place another try; maybe when Mako Roberto is down here.

I hope in the next 100 days I can report on a wsb and an unassisted kayak tuna. Although the ways things are looking in southern California, one of you guys may beat me to the punch on that goal. Of course if it is a bluefin I will have to release it down here. Of course........

The locals are just a joy to be around. They are extremely helpful and patient with my language challenges. I have a couple issues with my truck battery going dead and I happened to not have tools or jumper cables with me. Each time, the very first person I came in contact with, just took ownership of the problem and would not leave until was back up and running. These were not people I knew, just some random person who happened to be in the same parking lot.
OK, that's it for now. Thanks for keeping in touch, and come on down.
"When beholding the tranquil beauty and brilliancy of the ocean’s skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it; and would not willingly remember that this velvet paw but conceals a remorseless fang. "
— Herman Melville

Y'all come see me now, hear!
rossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 06:26 AM   #2
TCS

I remember fishing with you a few times in LJ several years ago. Nice that you have kept the passion. Sounds like you're living out your dream! Btw, are you fishing live bait down there?
TCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 06:57 AM   #3
buddha

I am happy that you are not only adjusting to living in Baja but flourishing. Too many do not get out of their comfort zone and miss out on an adventure like you are experiencing.

Are you running out of books down there? Maybe a kindle would let you store hundreds of books at your disposal?

How long do you plan on living there?

Keep working on the Spanish it can only be worthwhile to learn now that you have ample opportunity being immersed down there.

I plan on coming down with Makobob in November.

Gumbo anyone?
buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 07:28 AM   #4
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCS View Post
I remember fishing with you a few times in LJ several years ago. Nice that you have kept the passion. Sounds like you're living out your dream! Btw, are you fishing live bait down there?
I have not had a lot of luck getting bait down here. I have tried. I have caught a total of one greenie since I have been here. I have one area where I can generally find some jack macks but have had no luck with them except calicos and sand bass. Yellows are 100 percent on irons and probably 90 percent on the blue and white.
"When beholding the tranquil beauty and brilliancy of the ocean’s skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it; and would not willingly remember that this velvet paw but conceals a remorseless fang. "
— Herman Melville

Old 06-06-2015, 07:38 AM   #5
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddha View Post
I am happy that you are not only adjusting to living in Baja but flourishing. Too many do not get out of their comfort zone and miss out on an adventure like you are experiencing.

Are you running out of books down there? Maybe a kindle would let you store hundreds of books at your disposal?

How long do you plan on living there?

Keep working on the Spanish it can only be worthwhile to learn now that you have ample opportunity being immersed down there.

I plan on coming down with Makobob in November.

Gumbo anyone?
I brought about 15 books down here with me and probably 4 left to read. I do have a Nook that was the product of a dumpster dive in my sister's community in southern California. Some hoarder moved out and threw away a brand new Nook, sealed package, never opened. I have 10 or so books on that too.
Glad you can make it in November. Looking forward to some new ways to enjoy yellowtail.
— Herman Melville

Old 06-06-2015, 08:39 AM   #6
taggermike

If you make it to La bocana do the extra bit of driving to estero coyote south of abre ojos. Commercial fishing is alowed in LA bocana estero, but not in coyote. Bocana is long and straight and more open to the wind while Coyote has many channels and protected areas. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 09:28 AM   #7
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

Quote:
Originally Posted by taggermike View Post
If you make it to La bocana do the extra bit of driving to estero coyote south of abre ojos. Commercial fishing is alowed in LA bocana estero, but not in coyote. Bocana is long and straight and more open to the wind while Coyote has many channels and protected areas. Mike
Thanks Mike. Good input. IIhave actually met the folks that run Campo Rene right on that estero. While it is a significantly longer drive milage wise, I can actually get to Campo Rene on pavement all the way, in just a bit longer time wise
— Herman Melville