Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-2008, 01:09 PM   #41
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

You mean there is no where to plug in my vacuum sealer? I think your standard 5 day cooler with ICE BLOCKS will be fine... I do not plan to keep any fish, unless it is a big arse WSB, but I can't seem to catch those lately, so my cooler will be for beer and sodies... Any other fish I catch will be released, or will be harvested responsibly hopefully for some sort of community beer badder taco night(s)...
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 01:19 PM   #42
madscientist

Yeah, we'll be tight on space on the boat, what with my beer and Mike's KY.
Old 03-06-2008, 04:39 PM   #43
Zed
BANNED

I'm sure come Monday we'll have quite a email spam-war going with the 30 involved.

But, weight is some issue. The amount of gear per person isn't unlimited. So the 5-day cooler could be at a cost of other gear. And I know we tote around a lot of gear. Since Propane is NOT allowed on the boat, I bet dry ice isn't either.

Whatever is not in/on your yak is shuttled to the site. Think 30x whatever you bring. Maybe they have a moving van, or something. I guess they have the few hours we'll be on the water to shuttle, but that's getting into Corps of Engineers type of undertaking.

Think minimal. You see how well Tman and Grego want to share space already. And Holy Mack, I'll/we'll have some pre-made batter ready. For, you know, just in case someone wants to have their big-ass fish feed the group.

Z
Zed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 05:09 PM   #44
bluesquids

I've spoken to DFG regarding WSB possession over there. You're only allowed one in possession for the trip that time of year. Unless you consume it or gift it. You might want to release an early schooly in hopes for a bigger one later. And also plan to target other species.
You can pick up more ice in the village for the ride home.
Old 03-06-2008, 07:09 PM   #45
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Don't forget to bring your pesos (dollars)....

Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 07:14 PM   #46
tylerdurden
Bad Clone

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesquids View Post
I've spoken to DFG regarding WSB possession over there. You're only allowed one in possession for the trip that time of year...

What about the multi day permit? Just curious. I know guys get them for lobsters when the do multi day hooping trips to Cat.

Here is the link, page 29:
http://www.dfg.ca.gov/marine/pdfs/oceanfish2008.pdf

Bluisquids, did you ask the warden about multiday permits? The only species this could be a problem with is wsb. If you didn't ask the warden I'll try and give dfg a call or email next week and see. I hope we get that lucky.

Let the Fish and Game Commission know what you think about the proposed maps.

Be ready for December 9th and 10th.

tylerdurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 07:32 PM   #47
Handymansd
Ancient Member

"27.15. Multi-Day Fishing Trips.
(3) A Declaration for Multi-Day Fishing Trip may not be filed for a trip unless the trip is continuous and extends for a period of 12 hours or more on the first and last days of the trip and no berthing or docking is permitted within five miles of the mainland shore."

So does that mean that we cannot apply for a Multi-day?

Handymansd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 07:39 PM   #48
tylerdurden
Bad Clone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handymansd View Post
"27.15. Multi-Day Fishing Trips.
(3) A Declaration for Multi-Day Fishing Trip may not be filed for a trip unless the trip is continuous and extends for a period of 12 hours or more on the first and last days of the trip and no berthing or docking is permitted within five miles of the mainland shore."

So does that mean that we cannot apply for a Multi-day?
I'm pretty sure we can, but that is just my interpretation of the regs. My reading of them doesn't mean a thing, the wardens is what matters. Cat is >5 miles from the mainland shore. I know hoopnetters and lobster divers go to Cat on multi day trips with the permit. Again this could all be for nothing. Who knows how good or bad the fishing is going to be. Next week I'll try and actually talk to a dfg person and get some real answers instead of us trying to interpret and guess as to the meanings of the regs. Even if we can't get a multi day it's no big deal.

Last edited by tylerdurden; 03-06-2008 at 07:40 PM. Reason: thought better of it
Old 03-06-2008, 08:06 PM   #49
Handymansd
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerdurden View Post
Next week I'll try and actually talk to a dfg person and get some real answers instead of us trying to interpret and guess as to the meanings of the regs.
Wow... now why couldn't I have thought of that! I'll guess I could talk to DFG at Fred Hall on Sat too.

Handymansd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 08:23 PM   #50
bluesquids

Quote:
Bluisquids, did you ask the warden about multiday permits? The only species this could be a problem with is wsb. If you didn't ask the warden I'll try and give dfg a call or email next week and see. I hope we get that lucky.
Yeah, I mostly called about the multi day permits. Those only apply to the days on a multi day boat.
Old 03-06-2008, 09:20 PM   #51
madscientist

We'll have four guys and a multiday for Fri-Sun on the boat, so feel free to drop off any excess fish.
Old 03-06-2008, 09:50 PM   #52
Donfish

I could be wrong and flame away if I am but as we are paid and have a float plan posted on a public board we should be able to keep 1 seabass per day fished in posession per angler. Multiday permits should not be required as we will only be on the water for parts of each of the days.The receipts from ferry passage and camping should suffice as legitimate fishing proof over the course of the trip.I won't be dragging 3 seabass home with me. I know alot can be left for interpetation but if my vessel has 1 wsb per angler when checked and I'm on a multiday camping trip the limit becomes 3 days of limits in posession for the duration of the trip as per dfg regs....please correct me if I am wrong.
Donfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 10:38 PM   #53
bluesquids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donfish View Post
I could be wrong and flame away if I am but as we are paid and have a float plan posted on a public board we should be able to keep 1 seabass per day fished in posession per angler. Multiday permits should not be required as we will only be on the water for parts of each of the days.The receipts from ferry passage and camping should suffice as legitimate fishing proof over the course of the trip.I won't be dragging 3 seabass home with me. I know alot can be left for interpetation but if my vessel has 1 wsb per angler when checked and I'm on a multiday camping trip the limit becomes 3 days of limits in posession for the duration of the trip as per dfg regs....please correct me if I am wrong.
One thing the DFG referred me to was section 1:17 page 22
http://www.dfg.ca.gov/marine/pdfs/oceanfish2008.pdf
One daily limit in possession weather frozen, preserved yadda yadda.
He flat out said only one daily limit at ANY time. And that technically goes all the way to your freezer. When the limit goes to 3 then you can legally have three in the freezer.
He said you don't want to be showing up at the dock with 3 WSB in your cooler from a 3 day camping trip. And a multiday permit does not jive if you are setting foot on land between days.
What I did not question was how a multiday permit DOES seem to contradict the possession rule. Unless it just overides it completely.
Here's the contact persons info I got after emailing DFG central.

Edgar W. Roberts III
Associate Marine Biologist
Recreational Fishery Data Project
California Department of Fish and Game
619 Second Street
Eureka, CA 95501
707.441.5757 Office
707.445.7883 Fax
707.599.5318 Cell
eroberts@dfg.ca.gov

Visit the Marine Region's Web Site at:
www.dfg.ca.gov/marine
Old 03-07-2008, 06:55 AM   #54
tylerdurden
Bad Clone

I've heard 3rd hand lots of stories of people getting limits of lobsters 2 nights in a row, and the warden follows them home and checks their freezer at home to see if they still had any of the previous nights catch which would put them over. Never actually heard a concrete or reliable version. They can do the same with wsb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesquids View Post
And a multiday permit does not jive if you are setting foot on land between days.
What I did not question was how a multiday permit DOES seem to contradict the possession rule. Unless it just overides it completely...
Thanks for the info. I wish they would write the regs in a form of english that is more understandable, and leaves less discrepancies. I was worried about the going ashore part, as I knew that might negate the trip truely being considered multi day. Although we are not going ashore on the mainland, but on an Island that is >5 miles out. This rule seems stacked against kayakers, but it sounds like guys could take a private boat to the island for a few days and be fine.

I know some of the DFG rules are interpeted differently by different wardens. This might be one of them.

The good news is wsb are very easy to give away, everyone wants a piece.

Old 03-07-2008, 09:44 AM   #55
bluesquids

Quote:
Although we are not going ashore on the mainland, but on an Island that is >5 miles out.
I specifically asked about the "mainland'' terminology.
Still, it was no dice with them.

Quote:
I know some of the DFG rules are interpeted differently by different wardens. This might be one of them.
I totally agree.
I was under the impression that this Ed guy has a hand in the writing of the regs.
As, I was directed to him after asking for specific interpretations.
I think the field guys can be squishy sometimes.
Old 03-07-2008, 10:17 AM   #56
Grego

Be sure to bring heavy duty foil, not the cheap walmart crap or standard kind to be used in an oven. You can wrap fish and other edible creatures (land/sea) in it and throw it on top of a wooden fire.

Back when I fought in panama and the gulf, that foil was standard in our survival kits for cooking, collecting water, and as a signaling device. We would raid the rear echelon guys for the foil
Grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 10:30 AM   #57
Zed
BANNED

Yeah grego, that's why I'll always share my hooch.

Speakin of critters, I might bring my dutch oven. I have a good recipe.

Ingredients: (serves 3800 people)

3 medium sized camels
½ ton salt
500 bushels potatoes
1 ton pepper
200 bushels carrots
3000 sprigs parsley
2 small rabbits
1000 gallons brown gravy
Preparation:
Cut camels into bite sized pieces, cube vegetables (this may take awhile so start early). Place meat into pan and cover with 1000 gallons of brown gravy. Simmer slowly for 4 weeks. Garnish with Parsley. If more are expected add 2 rabbits. Mr. McGregor’s Note: I haven’t tried this recipe as I have been having trouble obtaining the camels but you may have better luck.

We can probably substitute the buffalo for camels, since there's no camels on Cat. So remember to pack light so I can bring all these ingredients.
Zed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 10:49 AM   #58
kurt

5 buffalo = 3 camels
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 09:44 PM   #59
Iceman
Administrator

This is going to be a very good trip lol
Old 03-07-2008, 10:12 PM   #60
Donfish

Damn straight can't wait is it soldout yet Andy?

Last edited by Donfish; 03-08-2008 at 03:05 PM.
Donfish is offline   Reply With Quote