Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2006, 08:05 PM   #1
Tman
BRTF...bought & paid...

Fishcatcher at it again....

Launched about 9 to pond like conditions with Clay at the helm in hopes of him catching his first YT. After seeing the reports of the firecrackers taken, thought today would be his day. Was supposed to meet up with Cabo John, alas, he was already on the beach with a nice bonie and a firecracker, and had released a pup thresher.
Got out fine, tried to make bait to no avail, ran into Brad (Mad Scientist). Asked him where he made bait, when he said the pier, I said no way. He was nice enough to offer up a couple, a perfect greenback and a spanish mac. Intro'd Clay to Brad, after Clay said "Hi Brad", Brad responds with "I know you, I've seen your pics." Nice way to start the day...
We slow trolled the baits, ended up heading out a bit further than I anticipated. Wind started to pick up, wicked current moving, combined with a slight chop had me second guessing...
Plan was that if my rod got smacked, I would hand it off to him and we'd do a rod shuffle. Cruising along, the clicker screams. Clay hands me his rod, and I hand off mine. We had talked about this, and as I watched the tip dip in the water and line peel off, I hoped it would be a YT.

He finally got it to color, and it turned out to be a bonie, strong fighter, and had Clay pinned to the rail.

My boy fought it very well, kept the pressure on, and did not stop reeling. In fact he tried to pull the fish through the eyelet. Got the gaff in the gill plate, nice corner hook. The Fishcatcher's first bonie, I do believe he is ready to take on a YT...

Wind picked up, and decided to call it a day and made the paddle in.
Caught a nice one coming in, with rods not tethered it forced me to work a bit, got sideways, got soaked but managed to straighten it out and keep the hat dry....looks like it is going to be a fun summer...

Tman
Gaffer for Clay the Fishcatcher
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 08:48 PM   #2
Dan

Nice one Clay....summer has just started. Bonus points for Dad.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 06:16 AM   #3
madscientist

Cool. Glad you guys got to pull on something. These bruiser bones are perfect training for the inevitable YT.
Old 06-05-2006, 07:11 AM   #4
Dupree

RE: Pinned to Rail

WTGo Team Fishcatcher! Nice on the water pic's.

I found myself unexpectedly pinned to the rail by a mid-sized Bone Sat. @ the 9 Mile Bank. ops: Need more practice!

D.out