Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-2011, 08:53 AM   #1
roby
CEO of Team Roby

Cabrillo 3/30/11 & 4/1/11

3/30/11

I got to the Cabrillo launch at 6am looking for Mr. Halibut. The fog was thick in the morning and pretty much stayed that way until 11. I got some sardines at the bait barge and decided to drift around closer to the launch site for safety. On one of my retrieves to change bait I hooked into a sand bass - it put up a good fight.

I then made my way to the wall and got a nice big line twist with myself. It had been about 2 hours of fishing and no halibut; the line twist just made me pissed. I decided to just put one line out and make a quick pedal to the wall. After 5 minutes of pedalling my rod goes bendo, and it feels like a nice fish. I hooked into a legal halibut, my biggest fish on the yak so far. It wasn't a monster, but a nice size. I released it quickly and started pounding that area for the next hour looking for a bigger model - no luck.

At about 11 the wind just starts ripping through Cabrillo and I decide to head in. I've heard about the wind coming down hard and didn't want to get caught with some strong wind and fog. While I was going in I saw two dolphins playing in the water. I have seen them at the mouth in between the jetties, but these two were about a 1/4 mile inside...cool sight indeed.

4/1/11

I got to the launch again at 6am and got bait. It was clear, warm and absolutely beautiful. The fishing was slow for me. I was pedalling through some kelp when there was a small boil right in front of me. I pedalled through the boil and hooked into a small sandbass - the only fish for the day. The water looks like it's clearing up, but there were patches of murky water....

roby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 09:13 AM   #2
StinkyMatt

You fishing machine!

Releasing legal halis? You all that now? I usually have to pull their lip out a little just to make the size.

Good job.
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 12:23 PM   #3
inshorefisher

awesome job on the halibut. it was a great day out there. the fog didn't scare me...the private boaters doing 15-25 knots in the fog did.
inshorefisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 02:13 PM   #4
mtnbykr2

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinkyMatt View Post
You fishing machine!

Releasing legal halis? You all that now? I usually have to pull their lip out a little just to make the size.

Good job.
$16-$18 a pound...legal butt I woulda ate it....nice report Roby
I am ready for another Cabrillo trip...b
mtnbykr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 03:05 PM   #5
ericko

Lets get a trip going ...spring break for me is the 18 thru the 25th anytime just let me no when....I NEED TO GET OUT!!!!!
ericko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 04:08 PM   #6
mtnbykr2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericko View Post
Lets get a trip going ...spring break for me is the 18 thru the 25th anytime just let me no when....I NEED TO GET OUT!!!!!
yeah lets...I pulled a Eric and left my game clip at home, was down in SD
with Jim Sammons, luckily it was all spot and sandies c&r, I didn't want to ask him to carry around any fish though.......b

PS let me know when you guys want to go might have to be a sunday for me
Old 04-04-2011, 05:42 PM   #7
StinkyMatt

Fishing this week?

Ok slackers,

I will either go out this Saturday or Sunday. Place or day does not matter.

I will also go out either day next weekend, likely LJ.

Saturday the 23, Tim and I are talking about Irvine lake, I have to be home by 2pm.

Who and where? Lets go boys!
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 06:53 PM   #8
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

a tyrnos for the sandies dannnnngggggg.. Nice report

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 09:49 PM   #9
roby
CEO of Team Roby

Quote:
a tyrnos for the sandies dannnnngggggg.. Nice report
The Tyrnos kills the trout at Irvine as well.....

Quote:
Saturday the 23, Tim and I are talking about Irvine lake, I have to be home by 2pm.
The trolling at Irvine has really slowed down. The water has gotten alot warmer and the fish are deep it seems. FYI: Kayak and float tubes are free for the month of March and April.

Quote:
Quote:
PS let me know when you guys want to go might have to be a sunday for me
I just had my Spring Break, so I can only do the weekend. Someone hit me up if you decide to head out.

@Brett - you had a session with Jim and you guys went for bass? Details?
roby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 10:42 PM   #10
bellcon

San Pedro
Home sweet Home
Old 04-05-2011, 08:59 AM   #11
tagyak

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinkyMatt View Post
Ok slackers,

I will either go out this Saturday or Sunday. Place or day does not matter.

I will also go out either day next weekend, likely LJ.

Who and where? Lets go boys!
hey matt, i just got word that i won't be going out on the 16, next saturday, but instead will be able to go out on the 17th sunday. lets all get together and go out to l.j. or cabrillo. i am interested to try my hand at those ghosts-what you think?
tagyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:40 AM   #12
theluckypig

fyi

Baytubers Redondo Tournament April 10, 2011

theluckypig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 10:32 AM   #13
mtnbykr2

Quote:
Originally Posted by roby View Post
The Tyrnos kills the trout at Irvine as well.....

The trolling at Irvine has really slowed down. The water has gotten alot warmer and the fish are deep it seems. FYI: Kayak and float tubes are free for the month of March and April.

I just had my Spring Break, so I can only do the weekend. Someone hit me up if you decide to head out.

@Brett - you had a session with Jim and you guys went for bass? Details?
yeah I had another session with Jim, wanted to get some lessons on the
bass, never stop learning you know, well we went to Tidelands park and launched, got to some spots in about 35-50 feet, with some small baits on 8 # and slayed em, nothing big but quality spots a few sandies and one short butt, he taught me alot about current and tide which I needed, we probably did about 40-50 fish and had alot of fun, I took what I learned to the SI side and did a little better the day after school with a couple sandies in the 18 to 20 inch class, then conditions fell apart, all in all, two days lots of good fish, and boy are my legs tired...
ready for another...b