Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-2008, 01:16 PM   #41
madscientist

Clearly the WSB population is shrinking. Ah, ignorance....

The total amount of Yt WSB and halibut taken by yakkers in LJ over the course of a year is probably about the same as is taken for a productive baja fish coop in a couple of days. Sure, everything has an impact, but a sense of proportion is also a good thing before posting a bunch of ill informed BS.

How many pounds of beef, pork, and chicken do we kill (or have killed for us) a year? How many gallons of gas do we burn. Throwing out a number like 600-800 sounds impressive, but it's taken out of context and quite trivial in the big scheme of things. Knothead eats about that much fish in a week.

I think if you add up the WCW submissions, it shows just how SMALL of an impact we really have.
Old 04-16-2008, 01:29 PM   #42
Siebler

Quote:
Originally Posted by screaming reel View Post
I did not know that there are commercial boats and sportboats fishing the WSB off of La Jolla; must be at night! I am sure they are killing it!
They dont have to fish LJ, they hit these fish with nets in TJ as the migrate.

Siebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 01:32 PM   #43
bearlythere

I agree with the Scientist on this one....Kayaks are probly the most ecologicaly friendly fishing vesels on the water...put the soap box some were else and lets get back to congratulating a fisherman on a very nice personal achievment. Way to go Tom Nice fish.....I think this is what this thread was about...
bearlythere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 01:35 PM   #44
tylerdurden
Bad Clone

Quote:
Originally Posted by screaming reel
I did not know that there are commercial boats and sportboats fishing the WSB off of La Jolla; must be at night! I am sure they are killing it!
the squid boats have no bycatch . also the bait boats operate at night a lot of the time.

WSB seems to be one of the few healthy fisheries. Based on anecdotal evidence the fish have been getting bigger since the gill nets were banned within three miles.

Let the Fish and Game Commission know what you think about the proposed maps.

Be ready for December 9th and 10th.

tylerdurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 01:35 PM   #45
madscientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearlythere View Post
Way to go Tom Nice fish.....I think this is what this thread was about...
This thread has been gang-jacked.
Old 04-16-2008, 01:39 PM   #46
nmbrinkman
Work Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by madscientist View Post
This thread has been gang-jacked.

I think I've seen that somewhere.. Let me find the website
nmbrinkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 01:47 PM   #47
bearlythere

I wasnt sure at first...some people made it sound like he got the last Sea Bass out there......just wanted to make sure ...Ha Ha...
bearlythere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 03:09 PM   #48
THE DARKHORSE

Think about it........

Quote:
Originally Posted by screaming reel View Post
My vote is to disband the WCW. How many people does this contest draw in? In this day and age of potential closures, and declining fish stocks world wide, it is somewhat sick that there is a year long contest that awards a person a prize for the most fish killed! What is the purpose of this contest? How about a catch and release WCW! Love to see some of these big fish released. I kill fish too, that is the idea, for food, right. I just don't see how this contest can be justified! Who in the world needs that much fresh fish. My god even a flippin Great White does'nt eat that much fish!!!!!!! If you guys think that an average post of a fish here and there draws in the crowds, I encourage you to look in the mirror and see WHAT IMPACT THE WCW has on crowds at LJ! If you live in a glass house, don't throw stones.

For the record, Last year, I caught 4 WSB and released 1. It was bitchen watching a 40 lb swim back down. I encourage more restraint and conservation when it comes to the resource! Maybe if we start restraining ourselves from killing everything in the ocean, the ocean and the fishes will be around for a loooooooooong time, and the Feds won't give fishermen a bad rap.

How about a contest where the PRIZE is won by the most fish meaasured and photographed that swim back down. Now that contest is worthy of some respect!

Think about it....
It's obvious by my number of posts that I use extreme discretion. As a general rule I only post once a month (well after the bite is over) to protect the resource. The jury is out if you are ignorant or just stupid, I'm guessing stupid. After reading your post I felt inspired to type, so thank you. If anything, WCW encourages catch and release. Like you said "who in the world needs that much fresh fish". Maybe you should read the rules before making a fool out of yourself. This tournament doesn't give out awards for who kills the most fish. Or else the numbers would be a few thousand pounds as apposed to a few hundred. The obvious goal is "two" solid fish a month. I have "never" kept a fish that wasn't a definate upgrade since the beginning of the season. I'm sure other competitors would say the same. Before I was in WCW there was that dreaded descision to make where the life of the fish was on the line. Something that I struggled with, especially with giant fish and possible personal best. I still kept over a 90% release rate, but now the descision is clear. I'm one of the blessed people with ample opportunities to spend time on the water. From all of my time on the water I have developed a great respect for the resource, to the point of being very protective of it. This doesn't mean I don't like to see others having a good time and catching fish. More often than not it makes my day to see someone who is stoked with their catch, as happiness is contagious. I have no problem with the occasional post of a worthy trophy, as it makes my coffee in the morning taste better. Although, the wording of the random post is a fine line that needs to be straddled with caution. For example, let's use this post as it is fresh on our minds. I'm stoked for Tom, as I know this is a personal best White Seabass for him. Although, mentioning that others were caught and spear-fisherman having success as well is a whole new ball game. You have now invited the entire coast of fisherman to come on down. Before the once a month guys team up against the regulars, "please" pay attention to the results of your actions before you descide what to do in the future. Yes, this may require you to go fishing in the days following your post. For people who have an opportunity to see the results again and again it get's old quick.

p.s. I refuse to get into an internet pissing match, so you can expect my next post in two weeks.

THE DARKHORSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 09:31 AM   #49
Afran
fishy

Interesting stuff here guys. We have had this conversation before, about crowds and dope.

When the word gets out, LJ is packed with yaks and boats. For the majority of yakkers there are really only 2 spots for YT/WSB, LJ and N.Baja.

I think with the WCW contest it causes a double standard for this forum. People want to hook big fish, hook them before anyone else, too win a prize. (and of course it would be cool to place).

While other people come to the board to read about a catch or an experience or to learn about fishing or to get the dope or be an internet angler.

It seems the 2007 WCW contest has made the forum a little more quiet this past year. I look to this board for real time information. I know the best yak fishermen on the west coast come here. This is the only kayak forum that I post reports on. My entry to WCW was a donation to support BWE because I'd like to see it continue (it wasn't for the contest).

With all this being said. I'm not a big fan of the "localism", La Jolla Local talk. This kind of attitude brings me back to when I was age 14-22, surfing La Jolla reef breaks everyday and claiming MSU, a local La Jolla surf crew. Looking back at that attitude, it was rad to have good friends to ride with and of course ride waves to ourselves, but now that I'm older, that's not the right way to go about things. No one rules the ocean.

People shouldn't get upset that someone spilled the dope on a catch. This is a public fishing forum. If it's developing into something else, then, "they are who we thought they were".
Old 04-20-2008, 08:02 AM   #50
TomTurtle

personally i do not have a tight crew of a dozen guys who i exchange information with. for the guys that do, you have a huge advantage which will continually serve you throughout the year. my only fishing resource is this board. maybe i am naive in the sense that the spearos who terrify brad will come down from LA because they are peeking in on our board. but i do know that this post will get to a few other yak fisherman. and that was its purpose.
TomTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 09:29 AM   #51
madscientist

It's that attitude that has driven many of the frequent posters away from this and other public boards. I have contributed more to this board than anyone else (defined by post counts). The top 12 or 15 posters collectively have contributed about as much as all the others combined. Yet for that, we get accused of holding out because we don't post EVEN MORE. Maybe we'd post more if it didn't seem like so many guys here have such a chip on their shoulder. Insulting or disrespectful comments are certainly not gonna make me more eager to share info here or OTW.

Minimizing the boating crowds helps everyone that is out there looking for fish, particularly the white ones. Come summertime this is a moot point, the crowds are there regardless. But the rest of the time a little discretion can help your fellow yakkers, regular and occasional guys alike.
Old 04-20-2008, 01:08 PM   #52
One Rev

I think I'll chime in hear with a little comment. I am one of those guys that look more than post. The reason is because I don't get to get out and fish as much as I use to. If I do go it's just for short little sessions at Shelter Island next to the sailboats.
My take on this post or not post is that as long as the guys that do get out and fish post I don't care if it is two or three days after the fact. I just want to see pictures and stories about what you all did. Heck I even enjoy it when you all trick us by reposting the year old post. I read them just like they are fresh. So just post em up with pictures and who cares how old the story is, just tell it.
Thanks for your consideration
One Rev
Mike Rankin
Lost in Lakeside
One Rev is offline   Reply With Quote