Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2013, 08:14 PM   #1
45user

X-wing, who's using it?

I'm thinking about installing xwing on stealth 12 to mount ff and rod holders.
I'd appreciate users' input and some pics.
Thank you,
45user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:40 PM   #2
Dannowar

If I had a malibu I'd use it. Seems like a great little console
Old 05-09-2013, 10:44 PM   #3
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

I have a stealth 12 and thought about getting the x-wing but it looks like it would make it near impossible to get to the front hatch. It's hard enough as it is with just a fish finder mounted between the cupholder and front hatch. That assumes you'd ever need to get to the hatch while on the water. If not then it really doesn't matter.

Not sure if it would also make it tougher to re-enter your yak after a spill or not.

The idea is a good one though, and it looks alright.
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:18 PM   #4
momo fish

I would seriously reconsider that.. seems like a great idea but not very functional.. on the stealth you have plenty of space to begin with and there is more negatives than positives..

Go check it out and see how hard it will be to access the front hatches.. i cant even imagine flipping with that thing on..

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45user View Post
Thank you,
momo fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 06:15 AM   #5
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Thank you,
You should give the Railblaza products a look, not a massive of hardware and it will hold all that you wish to.

http://www.railblaza.com/

http://www.railblaza.com/products/vi...sh_350/196/59/

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:09 AM   #6
45user

I guess the generally it's a no go for most of you?
Anybody has one on theirs and any pros or cons from actual use?
Thank you!
45user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:07 AM   #7
Big Wave Dave

I always stow my stuff in the front hatch before heading in through the surf. The one time I got cocky and didn't I flipped over. I don't know how I would get to the front hatch with one of those in place. Maybe they're easily removable for front hatch access. I don't know.
Big Wave Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 12:00 AM   #8
philr21

I have one on my X-Factor. It isn't bad but I prefer the Yackattack tracks I put on the Hobie. At 6'5 the X-wing seems to always get in the way of getting in and out of the kayak and you can kiss off getting anything out of the front hatch.

It isn't bad, but like the flexibility of the track system. The tracks are probably lighter weight as well.
philr21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 01:02 AM   #9
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

I agree with phil, Yak Attack GearTrac might be a better option than the x-wing.
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe

Last edited by alanw; 05-11-2013 at 01:28 AM.
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 01:42 AM   #10
Fiskadoro

Quote:
I'm thinking about installing xwing on stealth 12 to mount ff and rod holders.I'd appreciate users' input and some pics.
Thank you,
Old school....

I've never owned the X-wing but before they came out with the X-wing I made a bar setup for my FND that pretty much does the same things. Pole holders mounted on the sides, and my finder went on the pedestal in the middle.

The main advantage was access. The pole holders were great for trolling and drift fishing as I could reach the rods quickly, or even put a few cranks on the reel when bit to set a hook, and the finder was at arms length.

Shortly after putting it on I rolled in the surf and I realized that if I pitch poled, or dug the nose in coming in on a wave I could end up sliding forward and get a ankle or leg stuck under the bar. That freaked me out. You don't have to be a brain surgeon to figure you out that in that scenario you could easily break a ankle, or leg. When I first saw the X wing I thought that would be a problem for them. I'd think you could slide forward and get stuck under it in the surf, but I've never heard of anyone getting hurt with one.

I never surf launched the FND again. I made a hoop setup for it.

I now use it all the time for hooping but I just never take it through the surf.

For my fishing setups I realized I could get pretty much the same finder and pole layout with Scotty holders and extensions.

With that setup I get the same layout and space advantages but I can remove everything for launching through the surf. I love that setup it's all I use for kayak fishing now.

I'd say if your going to fish bays where you don't go through the surf the X-wing might work, but if you want to launch through the surf I'd stay away from it. Just more things to get in the way or go wrong.

Jim

Last edited by Fiskadoro; 05-11-2013 at 02:19 AM.
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 10:02 AM   #11
Siebler

We find most people go with the GearTrac's now days. Cleaner system, everything slides independently, no worries about access to front hatch or having the console over your legs in the surf.

Siebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 12:28 AM   #12
usmp06
Shark Bait

I have a x-wing on my stealth 12. Some pros are that you can mount rod holders,ff,lights, and many other things to it and its all self contained with the battery box area. Great for lakes and still water. But as you mentioned it makes getting to the front hatch a little difficult. Also if launching out of LJ shores not a good thing to have on your yak as it makes your yak more top heavy. So when I launch there I don't even bother bringing it. Which means I leave the ff at home seeings how its mounted to my x-wing. so it has its advantages if you are a still water fisher. I mean don't get me wrong if you launch out of the bay and paddle out its fine but if you have a shore launch forget about it. Hope this helps you out.
usmp06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:48 AM   #13
Cbad Mike

Funny that you asked when you did because just a few days ago I was considering the possibility of getting one. I think it's a cool idea that isn't very practical at least for the fishing I do the most.
I watched video of some of my catches and realized that the X-Wing would be in the way especially when a big fish has your rod bent and shaking it's head during the fight. You want to have the rod pointed towards the bow of your kayak for stability and leverage and I think the Wing will just get in the way. Also a lot of times I will lay my rods on deck for one reason or another and see how the Wing wouldn't let me do that. I read above that the Wing will inhibit access to the front hatch which is true but wasn't a big concern to me since I really don't use it anyway.
If I did more freshwater fishing I would probably get one but since I don't I will pass on the X-Wing.
Hope this helps. Keep us posted on what you decide on.
Mike
Cbad Mike is offline   Reply With Quote