Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Buy, Sell, or Trade Kayak Fishing Gear

Old 12-01-2010, 08:57 PM   #1
bgodber
Junior

New Kayak Tee From GreenFish for the Holidays!

Check out the awesome new Kayak Catch & Release Tee from GreenFish.... perfect holiday gift! GreenFish is the first apparel brand completely dedicated to promoting responsible & sustainable fishing and this is our first Yak shirt which we are psyched about!

Get yours at http://www.greenfishmovement.com

bgodber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 09:15 PM   #2
bubblehide

Thumbs down

Nice first post!
bubblehide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 10:35 PM   #3
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblehide View Post
Nice first post!
What he said
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 04:48 AM   #4
bellcon

I like it!
Old 12-02-2010, 06:43 AM   #5
SGV Rookie

Whats the Deal

I like the shirt and I saw it when Jim Sammons posted it on Facebook, but my question is after seeing a first timer post. How much funding can green fish put back into our fight with the mlpa? Has Greenfish tried to have clinics for kayak fisherman? What has greenfish done? A little more info would be nice? I like catch and release and I like to take a sandy for tacos!
Dave
SGV Rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 10:51 AM   #6
wade

My crew has the utmost respect for what your company profile is promoting.
I first learned about GREENFISH from the Moyer Tourney.
I wish you guys the best in all your endeavors..

While your searching for the perfect Holiday gift this season, why not give back..
Release a Yellow!.....

Bigggggggg Respect GREENFISH!

Wade
wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 09:57 PM   #7
bgodber
Junior

Thanks for the feedback guys!

SGV Rookie - to answer your question: Right now GreenFish is a VERY small startup company, so our ability to impact MLPA is not very big. Instead - we have selected a handful of partners, such as United Anglers, who are fighting the good fight for us anglers. Through our GreenFish Gives program, every time someone buys gear on our site, they can select one of our partners to donate a portion of the proceeds to (we give up 10-20% of our margin for this and it goes directly to our partners).

This allows us to focus our efforts on building our brand / business while financially supporting these organizations who are fighting for our rights!

thanks for your support
Bryan Godber - GreenFish
Old 12-03-2010, 02:48 AM   #8
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgodber View Post

SGV Rookie - to answer your question: Right now GreenFish is a VERY small startup company, so our ability to impact MLPA is not very big. Instead - we have selected a handful of partners, such as United Anglers, who are fighting the good fight for us anglers. Through our GreenFish Gives program, every time someone buys gear on our site, they can select one of our partners to donate a portion of the proceeds to (we give up 10-20% of our margin for this and it goes directly to our partners).

This allows us to focus our efforts on building our brand / business while financially supporting these organizations who are fighting for our rights!

thanks for your support
Bryan Godber - GreenFish
Your response states, "Through our GreenFish Gives program, every time someone buys gear on our site, they can select one of our partners to donate a portion of the proceeds to (we give up 10-20% of our margin for this and it goes directly to our partners). However, Greenfish's website states that you also donate 1% of your sales to an organization called 1% for the Planet. Unless I'm reading the information wrong it appears that some of the NPO's listed within 1% for the Planet are MLPA supporters.

http://www.healthebay.org/about-bay/...rotected-areas

http://www.cacoastkeeper.org/news/ne...-coastal-areas

Am I wrong, confused or missing something?
Old 12-03-2010, 05:40 AM   #9
bgodber
Junior

Tuna Taxi - you are right.....this is why we created our GF Gives program, and are moving away from 1%FTP. The good news is that for our donations to 1%, we get to select who we donate to, and have gone with Fish America (see here - http://www.greenfishmovement.com/Dow...a_Donation.pdf)

The GreenFish Gives program is much better for all of us - it allows YOU (the buyer) to select which GF parter your $$ goes to (rather than us), and we only partner with a handful of key partners to we can make a material contribution to them. and they are all "pro recreational fishing"

This is our last year in the 1% FTP program, our GF Gives program is the new model and something we are very proud of. Consider it our own 1%FTP but for the fishing industry, and only for fishing friendly orgs.
Old 12-03-2010, 04:43 PM   #10
FISHIONADO

I wish you c&r folks would quit playing with my food.
FISHIONADO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 07:33 PM   #11
bgodber
Junior

Ha ha - we are just promoting MORE C&R - not 100%. Nothing better than some fresh ceviche or fish tacos. I just want some fish around for my kiddos!
Old 12-03-2010, 07:40 PM   #12
jorluivil

Release the fatties!!!!
Old 12-03-2010, 08:20 PM   #13
bellcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISHIONADO View Post
I wish you c&r folks would quit playing with my food.

Now that right there is funny

and I still like the shirt
Old 12-03-2010, 08:44 PM   #14
StinkyMatt

Eat the fatties,
and the skinnies....
If I ever catch something I plan on eating it! Till then I plan on dropping major pounds!
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 10:41 PM   #15
jorluivil

I only keep what I plan on cooking/eating within two days max.
Old 12-04-2010, 08:07 AM   #16
SGV Rookie

Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgodber View Post

thanks for your support
Bryan Godber - GreenFish
Thanks For your response Bryan. I'm willing to support organizations like yours especially if its for the kids and their future. Please keep us up to date on anything your organization is doing, I would love to see some local tackle shop seminars or something to learn more about Greenfish. Just Catch and release is one thing, but sustainable fisheries? I just want to learn more (Just read The Secret Life of Lobsters).
Dave
Old 12-04-2010, 08:08 AM   #17
SGV Rookie

I have to do it

What is Greenfish's opinion on Thresher Sharks? Babys, Breeders, etc
Old 12-04-2010, 09:44 AM   #18
bgodber
Junior

Threshers

Threshers - one of the ultimate challenges on a yak - good stuff but of course we are concerned about long term sustainability of the population as the sport is gaining in popularity. In general we would prefer each angler to take no more than one shark per year -and release everything else and always only keep what you will consume. We reccommend using circle hooks when trolling bait (plug for our new "Circle Hook" Tee!). Also it is good practice to allow for a drop back after a strike when trolling- which is usually by the tail. This will increase your chances of getting a mouth hooked fish which of course improves chances of a release.

Dont keep babies, not really cool and definitely not sustainable. Everyone has their own opinion, but I would say maybe anything under 150Lb should be released. This is the best thing we can do to protect the species - release babies.

We would also like to see all females released in case they are a breeder. Thats a perfect world - but you asked!

One of our non-profit partners is the PIER Institute and they are doing a lot of research on T-sharks, which is why we like to financially support them. http://www.greenfishmovement.com/Scripts/partners.asp. Check out some of their research when you can.

Also - we have Conway Bowman on our Ambassador team who fishes daily for local Makos on a fly (awesome stuff), plus of course Sammons and Jeff Krieger who all have good opinions on this topic also http://www.greenfishmovement.com/scr...mbassadors.asp

Good idea on some local seminars - we'd like to work with some of our Ambassadors on this also.