Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2010, 03:09 PM   #1
Jimmyz123

Are Kayakers open game?

This last weekend when I was fishing in the OEX tournament I was fishing an area of the Bay by North Island. I wasn't even close to the Channel and yet boaters were flying by me what almost seemed like to me some were trying to see what I would do if I got hit by a wake. I did take one wake over the back of the boat as if I were surfing it and got wet, but all the others I took head on and no problem. There was one guy that made two passes and was looking at me the entire time on both passes as if I were going to say let's go or something. I'm not a violent person but that guy was pushing my buttons. I felt it was better that I kept my cool and just ignored him. Do you guys get this also?
Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 03:22 PM   #2
GregAndrew

Try to keep a rod handy with a 4oz. sinker and some spectra for the prop. Sometimes just lifting your VHF up to your mouth is good enough to get them to adjust course. Unfortunately, some of the same morons that drive on the freeways like their own private race courses own boats too.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 03:31 PM   #3
Hunters Pa

Take a pic of their CF # or, better yet, a video of them buzzing you. Call harbor patrol/lifeguard & report.

Unfortunately all it takes to operate a boat is a checkbook
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 03:52 PM   #4
tptrench

speed bumps

That is what a lot of pb's refer to us as.
tptrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 04:13 PM   #5
wade

every time I fish Dana Point, this seems to happen to me..somtimes its a jetski or pb..

keep the same paint ball gun for seals handy..
& also pack a handful of rock hard frozen paint balls in your lunch cooler..
&
this is another reason to sharpen your surface skills,...
but use a 7 oz yoyo jig to the dome piece instead...
&
a flare gun shot directly into his cabin works wonders also..........
wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 04:50 PM   #6
mtnbykr2

Yes unfortunately, the butt wipes of the world, too, happen to own pb's and
jet skis, and some happen to be affiliated with MLPA,, and think it is funny to see just how much they can f#@K with the yakers.
I have owned both large and small boats, attained certifications for the big boats, safety classes and all that, I have even towed people from the islands due to lack of "vessel assist" or brain matter one of the two, but never have I messed with people like I have seen and heard of.
I also have witnessed a yaker throwin a water bottle at a pber because the boat had made two passes between the shore and the yaker, harbor patrol agreed with the yaker retaliation but informed him that it was the harbor patrol's job to take care of the "jack hole" in the boat not his.
I myself have been messed with mostly in Dana Point, which is one of my favorite fishing spots, there really isn't any reason for it, but is there any reason for any of them?
I guess the answer here is a resounding yes, depending on who you are talking to, I guess we are the target, at least in these waters....b
mtnbykr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 08:12 PM   #7
SGV Rookie

Sting time

Let's find the worst area and assist the Harbor patrol with a Sting. They do it at cross walks, why not in the harbors. Harbor patrol would love the stats!
SGV Rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 06:23 AM   #8
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade View Post
every time I fish Dana Point, this seems to happen to me..somtimes its a jetski or pb..

keep the same paint ball gun for seals handy..
& also pack a handful of rock hard frozen paint balls in your lunch cooler..
&
this is another reason to sharpen your surface skills,...
but use a 7 oz yoyo jig to the dome piece instead...
&
a flare gun shot directly into his cabin works wonders also..........
Amen brother

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 07:26 AM   #9
Ohana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunters Pa View Post
Take a pic of their CF # or, better yet, a video of them buzzing you. Call harbor patrol/lifeguard & report.

Unfortunately all it takes to operate a boat is a checkbook
I agree about the video part. I was fishing south of Dana Pt in 30 feet of water and a pb was heading toward me at an angle that would have passed very close and his wake would have swamped or flipped me; I could see the driver and he was looking right at me. So I raised my video camera and aimed it right at him, which resulted in him quickly changing direction.

Kevin
Ohana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 07:35 AM   #10
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohana View Post
I agree about the video part. I was fishing south of Dana Pt in 30 feet of water and a pb was heading toward me at an angle that would have passed very close and his wake would have swamped or flipped me; I could see the driver and he was looking right at me. So I raised my video camera and aimed it right at him, which resulted in him quickly changing direction.

Kevin
This is what I am going to keep in mind because I know this jokers don't want to get busted on the water ways so it's better to let the Law guys fight them rather than risk getting hurt.
Old 12-17-2010, 02:09 PM   #11
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

Yes, just a few weeks ago, I was coming back into Marina Del Rey, and this Idiot zooms 10 feet away in his motorized raft throws me a huge a wake and I flipped. Next time ill have a video camera too.
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 08:08 PM   #12
griffsd06

Kharma

We can only hope that these same schmucks get theirs when someone equally or more rude/inconsiderate crosses their path.

griffsd06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 08:33 PM   #13
driftwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyz123 View Post
This last weekend when I was fishing in the OEX tournament I was fishing an area of the Bay by North Island. I wasn't even close to the Channel and yet boaters were flying by me what almost seemed like to me some were trying to see what I would do if I got hit by a wake. I did take one wake over the back of the boat as if I were surfing it and got wet, but all the others I took head on and no problem. There was one guy that made two passes and was looking at me the entire time on both passes as if I were going to say let's go or something. I'm not a violent person but that guy was pushing my buttons. I felt it was better that I kept my cool and just ignored him. Do you guys get this also?

Remeber, by law any wake that a boater creates they are completely responisible for any damage or injuries it causes. If a boater flips you due to the wake they created... you can sue them.
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 06:22 AM   #14
Jimmyz123

That is good to know, now that most of us carry cameras with us it shouldn't be too difficult to record issues that may happen. My trips out on SD Bay have been good training for me I guess. The last two times out I've had to react quickly to some huge wakes being kicked up.
Old 12-20-2010, 01:16 PM   #15
dorado50

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredantz View Post
Yes, just a few weeks ago, I was coming back into Marina Del Rey, and this Idiot zooms 10 feet away in his motorized raft throws me a huge a wake and I flipped. Next time ill have a video camera too.

so your talk'in about a 4 to 6 hp engine on the back of that raft? maybe alittle more practice on that kayak would help. advise the camara to be h2o proof.....
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 01:19 PM   #16
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado50 View Post
so your talk'in about a 4 to 6 hp engine on the back of that raft? maybe alittle more practice on that kayak would help. advise the camara to be h2o proof.....
Some of those rafts have bigger motors than that but if a wake or wave hits you the wrong way it won't take much to roll you.
Old 12-20-2010, 01:47 PM   #17
dorado50

thanks for the education on boat wakes and what damage they can do to a kayak...I'll be on the lookout for wakes next time I'm on sd bay(in the kayak).Would not want to lose all my gear because some a-hole boater's wake rolled me!
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 01:48 PM   #18
jhook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyz123 View Post
Some of those rafts have bigger motors than that but if a wake or wave hits you the wrong way it won't take much to roll you.
I'm pretty sure the military uses 55hp motors on their rafts. They will put up a pretty good wake.
jhook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 04:52 PM   #19
WahooUSMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGV Rookie View Post
Let's find the worst area and assist the Harbor patrol with a Sting. They do it at cross walks, why not in the harbors. Harbor patrol would love the stats!

You know me, Dave....Count me in.

WahooUSMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 04:54 PM   #20
WahooUSMA

Talk to Roeboat and Premo...Premo got flipped coming into NPH and Roeboat damn near got nailed by the Western Pride!

WahooUSMA is offline   Reply With Quote