Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 05-07-2017, 03:27 PM   #1
tootall

Launching from Wipeout Beach?

Hey guys.
Has anyone ever launch from Wipeout Beach and can you share your experience from that launch?
tootall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 03:32 PM   #2
FullFlavorPike

Quote:
Originally Posted by tootall View Post
Hey guys.
Has anyone ever launch from Wipeout Beach and can you share your experience from that launch?
It's a pain in the ass to carry everything down the cliffs, and you stand a good chance of getting epically womped....but I've done it many times and it's a quick paddle to the kelp! Put your stuff inside the boat, especially on the way in.
FullFlavorPike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 06:38 PM   #3
tootall

Thanks much. I'm too old to be raising and lowering a kayak and getting beat up on a shore break. Thanks again.
Old 05-08-2017, 06:31 AM   #4
LJ H2Oman
Hunter

Anyone who attempts this launch should watch the surf for a while to be sure it is dead flat or you have a good predictable lull between sets. Super convenient location for fishing off the point, but the shore break is frequently challenging, as the name of the beach implies. I've used it a lot for board fishing, but a longboard provides a much easier launch and landing than a kayak.

<"))))><

Hobie Revo 13 . . . not as sporting . . . but a welcome upgrade from my 1966 longboard!
LJ H2Oman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 10:45 AM   #5
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullFlavorPike View Post
It's a pain in the ass to carry everything down the cliffs
If it's the same beach I think it is, I used to jump down the slippery sandy rocks for photo shoots in a cave at the south end. I remember the sandy beach being a steep one with relatively thunderous waves crashing beautifully as photo backdrops.

Are there not concrete steps at the north end of this beach? My foggy memory is that this beach is accessible from the north end steps most of the time, except for high tides that close off a small cove near the stairs.
Old 05-08-2017, 11:05 AM   #6
tootall

It's on the other side of the wall at Children's Pool, (south side).
Old 05-08-2017, 11:43 AM   #7
FullFlavorPike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. NiceGuy View Post
If it's the same beach I think it is, I used to jump down the slippery sandy rocks for photo shoots in a cave at the south end. I remember the sandy beach being a steep one with relatively thunderous waves crashing beautifully as photo backdrops.

Are there not concrete steps at the north end of this beach? My foggy memory is that this beach is accessible from the north end steps most of the time, except for high tides that close off a small cove near the stairs.
There are/were stairs going down to South Casa (south of Children's Pool, north of Wipeout), but they were closed down for a while. Maybe they still are. Overall, both beaches are better for diving than hook and line fishing.
FullFlavorPike is offline   Reply With Quote