Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2010, 01:45 PM   #1
old_rookie

cold feet?

I can easily get cold, and was thinking of getting breathable waders - but after reading this from Jim Sammons: http://kayak4fish.com/press/WinterKa...hing0204.shtml

from his article:
"I consider waders an option for bays or lake fishing only; I would never wear waders in a surf zone. The force of the waves is so strong that it will force water into the waders, which can cause you some real problems as you try to swim into shore. "

So I was thinking dive booties? something to keep my feet warm after they get wet from the launch. Or just man up and ignore the cold.
old_rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 02:01 PM   #2
SGV Rookie

Paddle pants

I paddle around in shorts most of the time! I tried neoprene waders but my feet still got cold. I ended up getting the Kokatat paddle pants with built in booties. I wear sweats if cold out, wool socks and my feet stay warm in the pants. I walk in oversized crocks to ease the wear and tear! I'm still new to this kayak fishing but that's my 2 cents
SGV Rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 02:07 PM   #3
steveooo

I think that article was before he did the Mythbusters type challenge on them

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_rookie View Post
Or just man up and ignore the cold.
Either way, I say man up
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 02:12 PM   #4
jorluivil

This is my first winter in a yak' I've been wearing shorts and a long sleved shirt covered with some Carthart bibs and rubber fishing boots, over that I wear a waterproof jacket. So long as I button up the bottom of the bibs and stay zipped up I come out dry.
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 02:13 PM   #5
Jim Sammons LJKF

Hey OR, as you may have noticed I wrote that article in 2004, since then I have done a lot of experimenting with waders and now wear them on most outings that I feel I need the warmth. Which is most of the time as I get older.
I would still use caution with waders if you are launching and landing in heavy surf, particularly if your surf skills are lacking. For your normal launch at LJ waders are the perfect fit. Even on a big day, LJ is normally pretty tame. Of course use your best judgment and know your abilities.
IF you feel comfortable in the surf then waders are a great choice. As can be noted from the video I did on wearing waders you will be fine if you wear your waders as a system which includes your PFD, wading belt and as extra protection a good paddle jacket.
JimSammons.com
Jim Sammons LJKF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 02:55 PM   #6
StinkyMatt

Guys wear waders in moving rivers and streams, over slippery rocks and other hazards. As long as you have a properly used wader belt on through the surf zone you should be OK. Belt up or as you said "man up".
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 04:00 PM   #7
Fiskadoro

Quote:
"I consider waders an option for bays or lake fishing only; I would never wear waders in a surf zone. The force of the waves is so strong that it will force water into the waders, which can cause you some real problems as you try to swim into shore. "
My take is waders are fine but when going through the surf I always wear a drytop to seal them, and a pfd for safety. If your not wearing a drytop at least wear a wader belt, and a PFD.

I've rolled my kayak in large surf with my waders and a drytop and when I got in there was not more then a drop or two of water in my waders.

For my feet I wear polartec drysuit socks, inside the waders, and I put dive booties over the stocking feet of the waders outside. That way they are toasty warm, and the booties give protection against rocks etc, while still allowing me to swim.

You should note that you have to get booties that are a size or two up over your normal size if you are going that route.

Jim
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 04:19 PM   #8
Hunter (The 80's Man)

I also tried similiar experiment as Jim in a pool, with both my bootie-footed waders and my rubber boot foot with steel lug hunting waders. I found with both I was neutrally bouyant when they were completely filled with water, even without my vest. I also found that it actually took a lot of work to get both set of waders completely full of water after taking the belt off. With the belt on, and snugged up, I had plenty of time to right my kayak and jump on it with barely a trickle of water running down my leg. I even experimented with squeezing the water back out and retightened the belt... takes some work, but you'd be surprised with how much water you can get back out. It's an experiment I'd recommend to anyone if for no other reason than to gain confidence/peace of mind.

Hunter (The 80's Man) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 05:44 PM   #9
shortstack

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinkyMatt View Post
Guys wear waders in moving rivers and streams, over slippery rocks and other hazards. As long as you have a properly used wader belt on through the surf zone you should be OK. Belt up or as you said "man up".
I grew up fishing cold water streams in Michigan, I,ve always wore waders with a belt. From my personal experience, its deadly not to wear a proper wader belt. I have gone under on a few ocations in fast flowing water and if I wasn't wearing a belt I wouldnt be here typeing on this post. I wear paddleing pants on the kayak with the built in booties and also wear dive boots over them. I would suggest getting either waders or pants but get the ones with the zipper in the crotch!
shortstack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 05:54 PM   #10
Jimmyz123

Quote:
I can easily get cold, and was thinking of getting breathable waders - but after reading this from Jim Sammons: http://kayak4fish.com/press/WinterKa...hing0204.shtml

from his article:

So I was thinking dive booties? something to keep my feet warm after they get wet from the launch. Or just man up and ignore the cold.
Normally I'm not a chicken when it comes to water, but I hate being cold. I always seem to wear too much going out on the bay. I haven't surf launched yet. I wear booties all the time because I like the warmth they provide. While in the bay I have been wearing some cheap waders that I picked up at Big 5, they cost me $12 and are warm for what I'm using them for. That's what I have been using lately to keep costs down. I think when the time comes I'll do as many have suggested with the pants, belt, and jackets. Most of all you need to be comfortable. As I have learned with wearing too much, you also get too hot and fast.

About the video that Jim put on Youtube about the waders, that right there is great information. Keep that in mind.

Last edited by Jimmyz123; 11-15-2010 at 06:05 PM.
Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 06:18 PM   #11
StinkyMatt

Jimmy, the breathable waders allow you to actually not sweat too much, you may still sweat in them but not too much. The neoprane (wetsuit material) may make you sweat a lot. When you sweat you are very likely to get cold as soon as your activity subsides, like when you stop paddling and just sit in your kayak. The little water booties are great for extra foot warmth and protection of the wader feet. Sports authority sells some for $8. These will not last many years but for 8 bucks?

Seriously, don't worry about the safety thing of the waders, you WILL always wear a PFD. You and I have heard and read enough stories of near misses to not wear one. Its not just for when you fall off your yak, its when you become some boaters' speedbump.

Tight lines, Matt
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 06:34 PM   #12
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

A lot of good advice here. Most of it correct. From my experience, wet suits might be a good idea if you plan to get dunked a lot but not for sitting on a yak for half a day. Breathable waders work great. Zippered ones make taking natures call much easier.

If you get cold, wear something warm under the waders. The rubber boots need to fit properly. Too tight will cut off circulation. Too loose may do the same if you try to cram them in to some water shoes, (I have first hand experience with this one).

Of course, the two most important accessories are the PFD and a good belt. Jim Sammons has a kayak safety class that goes over all of this stuff for those who are new to the sport or a little apprehensive about getting dumped in the surf. Once you figure it out, it is all pretty easy.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 06:40 AM   #13
Hunters Pa

Dive booties with rubber soles so you can walk on rocks & not worry about getting holes
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 07:22 AM   #14
Jzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Day View Post
I always wear a drytop to seal them, and a pfd for safety. If your not wearing a drytop at least wear a wader belt, and a PFD. Jim
X2.
Jzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 07:46 AM   #15
old_rookie

Thanks for all the great responses.

Jim - I did notice the date - figured things really don't change much in fishing and water unless it has to do with electronics.

I've got a dry top that cinches around the neck and wrists, but just has a string with a clamp thingy around the waist. PFD is always on - always. Found my radio clip, so that will be on the PFD as well.

I've crashed in the surf landing a number of times - worst one was up at San Elijo - wow...

Ok, so my plan will be to get a pair of waders, zipper in front, and rubber soled dive boots.

Next question... best spot to get them in SD? I say best for selection of sizes, I'm 6'2 and about 175-180, shoe size 12-13. Figuring XL Long. Might be slim picking on the boots since I need to go a size bigger. Big and Tall shop for kayakers/divers??? I would go on-line, but I prefer local for two reasons, support local business and to be able to try on for size.

Thanks again - very helpful. Great community.
old_rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 08:07 AM   #16
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinkyMatt View Post
Jimmy, the breathable waders allow you to actually not sweat too much, you may still sweat in them but not too much. The neoprane (wetsuit material) may make you sweat a lot. When you sweat you are very likely to get cold as soon as your activity subsides, like when you stop paddling and just sit in your kayak. The little water booties are great for extra foot warmth and protection of the wader feet. Sports authority sells some for $8. These will not last many years but for 8 bucks?

Seriously, don't worry about the safety thing of the waders, you WILL always wear a PFD. You and I have heard and read enough stories of near misses to not wear one. Its not just for when you fall off your yak, its when you become some boaters' speedbump.

Tight lines, Matt
Thanks for the information, I think you have helped me to choose what I am going to do. Why recreate the wheel? Just go with something works and has been proven to do the job.
Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 08:29 AM   #17
Rob929

Quote:
Thanks for all the great responses.

Jim - I did notice the date - figured things really don't change much in fishing and water unless it has to do with electronics.

I've got a dry top that cinches around the neck and wrists, but just has a string with a clamp thingy around the waist. PFD is always on - always. Found my radio clip, so that will be on the PFD as well.

I've crashed in the surf landing a number of times - worst one was up at San Elijo - wow...

Ok, so my plan will be to get a pair of waders, zipper in front, and rubber soled dive boots.

Next question... best spot to get them in SD? I say best for selection of sizes, I'm 6'2 and about 175-180, shoe size 12-13. Figuring XL Long. Might be slim picking on the boots since I need to go a size bigger. Big and Tall shop for kayakers/divers??? I would go on-line, but I prefer local for two reasons, support local business and to be able to try on for size.

Thanks again - very helpful. Great community.
I've been happy with the hodgman wadelite's. They retail for about $100 at sports authority, and every couple of months, sports authority does $25 off of $100 purchases(check www.sportsauthority.com for coupon). No zipper in front though. Also, finding your size wader with the larger foot size might be hard. I am 5'11, 190 w/ size 11 shoe, bought the Large waders.They are a little baggy, and the boot is even a little small for me. Either way, they stock a lot, so good place to try them on. Another option is to check Cabela's for sales/ closeouts. As for the cold- I wear socks under the waders
Rob929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 08:43 AM   #18
Jim Sammons LJKF

Wearing socks particularly the mysterioso socks makes a huge difference in keeping your feet warm, when I have forgotten the socks my feet get clammy and cold. Over the stocking foot waders I wear a pair of cheap fake crocs. They don't add to the warmth but they do protect the waders and are super light and comfortable.
JimSammons.com
Jim Sammons LJKF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 10:07 AM   #19
Regor
Greg

Quote:

Something I've gotten used to since wearing waders:
1) When launching, you can wade out further with your yak, and not care so much about the waves crashing around you, while you pick your time to go
2) When landing, you can also jump off the yak in knee high or greater water to land, vs the risk of riding all the way in and crashing. The few times I've rolled it, I've stood up and said "darn, it's only knee high"
Regor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 10:36 AM   #20
Jzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regor View Post
Something I've gotten used to since wearing waders:
1) When launching, you can wade out further with your yak, and not care so much about the waves crashing around you, while you pick your time to go
2) When landing, you can also jump off the yak in knee high or greater water to land, vs the risk of riding all the way in and crashing. The few times I've rolled it, I've stood up and said "darn, it's only knee high"
Great points.
Jzo is offline   Reply With Quote