Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 01-05-2011, 07:56 AM   #1
PAL

MLPA Alert - Toss Rogers off the Commission!

Remember Rogers, the Fish and Game Commissioner who challenged us to "Bring it!?"

The insufferable buffoon used his position on the commission to insult and belittle anglers. This guy swore up and down that the MLPA was above the law, immune from public scrutiny.

His term is up.

Get him off the commission now! Send a letter to Governor Jerry Brown today!

This is about more than insisting we get a fair shake or getting even. This is our chance to show the new governor that we are paying attention. Remember, the recent MLPA vote was 3-2. Kicking this clown Rogers off the commission means new math.

Here's what Keep America Fishing has to say. Don't forget to follow the link to send the letter. It's easy - get your family and friends on the job too.

http://salsa.wiredforchange.com/o/63...ction_KEY=3033

Quote:
Voice Your Opposition to California Fish and Game Commissioner Richard Rogers’ Reappointment
Rogers’ track record shows he is no friend to California’s sportfishing community

Background

Since his 2005 appointment to the California Fish and Game Commission, Commissioner Richard Rogers has been one of the most vocal supporters of the Marine Life Protection Act (MLPA) Initiative. The MLPA is a controversial marine preservation program that threatens sportfishing in California for anglers and the industry alike by unnecessarily closing large areas of the ocean to recreational fishing. Many California communities depend on recreational fishing for revenue and jobs.

Rogers’ term on the commission is set to expire on January 15, 2011. However, Governor Jerry Brown could choose to reappoint Rogers to another six-year term. Throughout his term, Rogers has consistently ignored the interests of California's anglers and has turned a blind eye to California’s economy.

The five-person FGC, appointed by the governor, has authority to approve and implement hunting and fishing regulations in the state, including those covered under the MLPA. On December 15, 2010, Rogers was one of the three commissioners who voted in favor of a wide-ranging array of marine protected areas, essentially no-fishing zones, along the southern California coast.

What You Can Do

Send the message below to Governor Brown urging him not to reappoint Rogers to the California Fish and Game Commission. Given his staunch support of a program that fails to address the real problems affecting California’s coastal waters, such as habitat loss and pollution, Rogers has failed to fulfill his responsibilities to California’s citizens and its natural resources. The Partnership for Sustainable Oceans believes that Governor Brown should replace Rogers with a commissioner who understands his or her responsibility to both conserve California’s natural resources and take into account the impact of regulations on California’s economy.
http://salsa.wiredforchange.com/o/63...ction_KEY=3033
PAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 08:06 AM   #2
PAL

The sample letter, right here for your convenience. I'm working on getting the direct email address.

Quote:
Please Do Not Reappoint Richard Rogers to the FGC

I am writing to oppose the reappointment of Richard Rogers to the California Fish and Game Commission. As one of California’s 760,000 saltwater anglers, I am troubled by his failure to address the real threats to California’s ocean resources and his bias against recreational fishing. His strong support for the flawed Marine Life Protection Act (MLPA) Initiative process, even after disclosures of his participation in non-public meetings where critical decisions were made, renders him unfit to serve California’s citizens.

Further, his cavalier attitude to the loss of jobs and economic losses that the MLPA will cause in these dire economic times demonstrates that he is no friend to working-class Californians. Rogers’ blind dedication to the anti-job MLPA could not be swayed even by a personal plea from Commissioner Jim Kellogg to save “just one fisherman’s job,” especially with our state’s unemployment rate at 12.4 percent.

The MLPA will severely reduce recreational fishing opportunity in California which threatens the 20,000 jobs that it supports. With a current deficit of almost $30 billion, the state cannot afford the necessary enforcement, biological monitoring and public outreach – currently estimated by the Department of Fish and Game to be $40 million annually – of proposed MLPA regulations.

In addition, Rogers has ignored numerous Department of Fish and Game reports that none of California’s fisheries are in crisis. California’s marine fish stocks have improved dramatically over the past twenty years as a result of successful fisheries management practices. In the waters of California, there is not one marine fish stock currently experiencing overfishing and the few stocks still under stress are rebuilding due to strict fisheries management and conservation plans. Fishery management in California is working, and recreational fishing closures are not needed. California’s citizens are better served by focusing on habitat loss and environmental pollutants than denying them the right to access public resources.

Given these numerous concerns, I urge you to replace Richard Rogers with a commissioner who will both conserve California’s natural resources and be mindful of the impact of new regulations on its citizens.

Thank you for your consideration.
PAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 08:37 AM   #3
tacmik

DONE
tacmik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 08:41 AM   #4
WahooUSMA

Done!

WahooUSMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 09:17 AM   #5
kurtfish

Letter Sent Thanks Paul

The fight continues. I was just ready to make a similar post but I am glad Paul beat me to it as we all know PAL has been such a fearless leader in the MLPA process. Very interesting article in today's Wall Street Journal about the effects of unregualted fishing and urban pollution on the historic fishery of Istanbul's Bosphorus Strait. http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...html#printMode

The issues of urban run-off, sewage treatment discharge, and commercial water pollution were not addressed in the MLPA process. These land use issues along with unregulated fishing seem to have devastated a centuries old fishery in Turkey. If you are unable to link to this article and would like me to e-mail it directly to you PM your e-mail address to me.

We need to continue to fight the MLPA implimentation that is not addressing the real issues and imposing unfair closures to recreational fishermen.

Happy New Year Kurtfish

Last edited by kurtfish; 01-05-2011 at 09:40 AM.
kurtfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 09:38 AM   #6
cabojohn
PROBATION

Richard Rogers is a douche...I'd love to send a letter to old Gov Jerry "If its Brown flush it down"
I will get on it now....Thanks for keeping us updated.

*donation made to the mlpa legal fund too.
cabojohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 09:38 AM   #7
JoeBeck

Electronic copy sent. I also suggest you send a hard copy and flood their mail box.

Jerry Brown

Governor, California
c/o State Capitol
Suite 1173
Sacramento, CA 95814
JoeBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 10:09 AM   #8
Jimmyz123

Done.
Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 10:25 AM   #9
ratdog

DONE
ratdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 10:39 AM   #10
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Sent email

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 10:41 AM   #11
hatchetman

electronic done.
will send USPS later from home.

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.
Thomas Jefferson
hatchetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 10:45 AM   #12
mtnbykr2

done 2x, don't forget to include your other halves guys...friends family and
the guy standing on the corner if he has an address...hard copy sent to our newest elected "person" in Sacramento
mtnbykr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 11:12 AM   #13
Deamon

Done. Takes less than 30 seconds. Do it! Also forwarded to friends!
Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 11:29 AM   #14
Lets_Fish

Sent mine off along with forwarding to additional friends and family.
Lets_Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 11:40 AM   #15
bigbarrels

done x2...wife sent one too
bigbarrels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 11:43 AM   #16
Ohana

Sent!
Ohana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 11:55 AM   #17
Aaron&Julie

Our letters have already been sent. In addition, we started our own post about sending out an email to all of our friends to help against Roger's reappointment.
This did get some additional letters sent about the last MLPA meeting, so it should work again. Send it out to all of your friends, except those loonies you know who really think these closures are necessary and a good thing.

Thanks.
Old 01-05-2011, 12:08 PM   #18
wade

Done!
wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 01:03 PM   #19
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

There may be a problem with emails sent from the KAF site. I got a returned email telling me that my original message could not be delivered for the past four hours. Anyone else have this problem? Is there a work around?

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 01:13 PM   #20
SGV Rookie

Done

Done
SGV Rookie is offline   Reply With Quote