Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2007, 11:41 AM   #1
Fritz
Junior

La Jolla 6/11 AM Report

Launched to knee slappers and very flat conditions. I was like a mill pond out there this morning.

A few small sardines at the pier. Paddled about 100 yards straight out and found some very large greenies. Loaded one on and at 6 am my reel clicker goes off. Load up and it feels like the right kind at first. Was coming to the surface a bit too easy so I am thinking small wsb or? Turned out to be about a 4.5 foot thresher. Came along the kayak like he was going to behave and then proceeded to give me a shower. With no help nearby I dicided to thumb the spoon and let him off.

Picked up 2 good-sized barricuda and got ripped off 3 or 4 times by the seals.

On my way in my rapala goes off so I wind in. Feels like another 'cuda~ comes right at the kayak and then takes some heavy drag straight down. This was no 'cuda. Took me down into the kelp and got off leaving me hung up on a long piece of kelp for a few minutes.

Back to the beach by 9:30. Easy landing. Was really fishy out there today. Saw on small WSB on the beach.

I'll be back!
Fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 01:26 PM   #2
nmbrinkman
Work Sucks!

With many reaction bite type lures, going straight spectra seems to be a good choice. Although I guess some could argue that a rapala isn't a reaction bite lure... Any thoughts guys?
nmbrinkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 05:16 PM   #3
FISHIONADO

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmbrinkman View Post
With many reaction bite type lures, going straight spectra seems to be a good choice. Although I guess some could argue that a rapala isn't a reaction bite lure... Any thoughts guys?
I caught that 50# YT on dark green spectra straight to a rapala cd-14. I've had one other big strike that got away on a cd-14 with white spectra. But in general I think its better to use a mono or better flouro for leader. I wish I knew what I was talking about but I suspect that the fish that get fooled easily usually get fooled before they get big. The bigger models have some instinct that keeps them away from my bait..... I usually use 3-4' of Seagaur flouro for leader. The reason I like trolling the rapala with straight spectra is that it gives the rapala some extreme action and I can tell if it picks up any grass or small kelp immediately, with mono the action is dampened so much it's hard to tell sometimes.
FISHIONADO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 07:48 PM   #4
Louis Clarke II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
Launched to knee slappers and very flat conditions. I was like a mill pond out there this morning.

A few small sardines at the pier. Paddled about 100 yards straight out and found some very large greenies. Loaded one on and at 6 am my reel clicker goes off. Load up and it feels like the right kind at first. Was coming to the surface a bit too easy so I am thinking small wsb or? Turned out to be about a 4.5 foot thresher. Came along the kayak like he was going to behave and then proceeded to give me a shower. With no help nearby I dicided to thumb the spoon and let him off.

Picked up 2 good-sized barricuda and got ripped off 3 or 4 times by the seals.

On my way in my rapala goes off so I wind in. Feels like another 'cuda~ comes right at the kayak and then takes some heavy drag straight down. This was no 'cuda. Took me down into the kelp and got off leaving me hung up on a long piece of kelp for a few minutes.

Back to the beach by 9:30. Easy landing. Was really fishy out there today. Saw on small WSB on the beach.

I'll be back!

I was the guy that paddled up on you when you got kelped and lost your fish....tuff luck...
Louis Clarke II is offline   Reply With Quote