Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-2010, 04:22 PM   #1
BellyBuster
Junior

Fish Finder Suggestions?

Hey everybody, still haven't gone out for my maiden voyage due to weather...But I decided to take this time to get a fishfinder for my yak. Any suggestions? I got a 160i tarpon. The finder doesn't have to be the best of the best, as long as it gets the job done. Suggestions? Thanks in advance.
BellyBuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 05:05 PM   #2
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

The inexpensive ones from Humminbird, Lowrance and Garmin are all fairly similar. They work great for seeing the bottom contour, showing the depth and sometimes for locating bait. Do they actually "find fish"? Probably not. Are they useful and better than nothing if you are on a tight budget? Probably yes. You can get these units for around $100.

With fish finders, you definitely get what you pay for. The better units have better resolution, more sensitive receivers and extra features. As some who own the better models will no doubt tell you as they chime in, some of the best ones are sensitive enough to tell the bust size of a mermaid if she happens to swim under your yak. The best fish finders can cost $1000 or more.

If you are a rookie, you probably will not get much more out of an expensive one than a cheap one. Since these things only last a year or two one path to take is to get a budget model until you know what you want out of one of these units. When your first one craps out, you can upgrade with the better knowledge of what you want.

One piece of advice. Western Marine offers an extended warranty for about 10% of the cost of the unit. This doubles the factory warranty and provides for an instant exchange. They will even apply the value of the exchanged unit to the cost of any upgraded unit you want to buy. This is a good way to basically get to use your first FF for free until it breaks in a year or two.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 09:00 PM   #3
Gino

hummingbird 180 is what i have.

Works great you can work with the sensitivity settings to find what you like. Its a bitchin fishfinder for the price.
Gino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 05:57 AM   #4
wiseguy

I have the Lowrance X50DS, cost is $120 and gets the job done. I also want to say, once you get the settings dialed in for the different fishing senarios, this littel inexpensive unit does find the fish!

The only suggestion I have is, no matter what unit you get, read the manual and learn how to read your fish finder, that's the most important.
wiseguy is offline   Reply With Quote