Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-2007, 03:43 PM   #1
Mr GreenJeans

LJ Report - 1-7-07

The wind forecast for this weekend hasn't looked good for several days. But last night I could see that a window of opportunity was opening up for Sunday. The wind was too brisk at DP, so I made a late decision to head for LJ.

Arrived at LJ at around 6:30 and drove onto the sand. A few minutes later, a guy in an earth-mover drives up and tells me he is going to block the entrance as soon as I leave. So I quickly unload and get my car over to the parking lot. Back at the boat, I surveyed the wave situation. The forecast was for 3-4 foot waves, but as usual, the launch was a little smaller at around 2-3 feet. I looked down towards the pier and could see they were running larger, at more like 4-5 feet. So I waded out and waited for a break in the set.

The water was 59 degrees, green, and visibility was maybe 7-8 feet. Down at the pier I made easy bait. Just dip the line in, jig a couple of times, and pull up greenies two at a time. I'm sorry to say that the best fishing of the day was right there catching bait.

Drifted a mac low in the area of the pier, thinking that if the macs were there, so might be the game fish. No such luck. Went over to the NW corner to let down a mac and yo-yo some iron. Zippo. Around 8:30 or 9:00 three guys paddle near me and let down their lines. On the first drop one of them ties into something big. He got towed around for most of an hour that I could see, but I never saw the end of the story. I heard them saying that it might be a thresher, and on the beach a fellow said he heard that it was a dolphin. Hopefully, someone will post the rest of the story.

Around 10:00 the wind started to pick up, so I made my way back to the first buoy. Good thing I have it marked on my GPS, because most of the buoys are missing. As I headed in I saw a fellow fishing inside the reserve. (How could he tell after all?) So I let him know and he pulled up his line and moved farther out. As I paddled in the breeze continued to build, so I was glad to be back near shore by 11:00. Lots of 3-foot waves were rolling in, but I timed it well enough and made land without incident.

All I caught today were macs and that was pretty much the story for others I talked to on the beach. Only saw the one hook-up with the mystery fish, and heard someone else might have hooked into a thresher.

Beautiful day on the water. All it lacked was fish of the larger variety. At least there were no dogs to bother me. I guess they read the post about the whitie sighting. Or maybe they know where the YT have gone to, and that's where they are.

David
Mr GreenJeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 05:11 PM   #2
madscientist

Re: LJ Report - 1-7-07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr GreenJeans
All it lacked was fish of the larger variety.
Hmmmm....
Old 01-07-2007, 07:32 PM   #3
esdees
The Good Clone

Dolphins were definitely on the chew today.

-Patrick
esdees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 05:44 AM   #4
Iceman
Administrator

Mr Green Jeans, welcome to BWE, as a child of the 60s/70s I gotta ask about the screen name. Thanks for the timely report...oh wait I was there :lol: As I posted in my plasticman sub, nothing but rockfish for me.

Old 01-08-2007, 06:31 AM   #5
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Quote:
Originally Posted by esdees
Dolphins were definitely on the chew today.

-Patrick
"Somebody caught a Dorado???" :clown: :mrgreen:

If it weren't for the greenies I would have been skunked... Or do those count?
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 07:30 AM   #6
madscientist

Dorado?!?!? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Must have been the dolphins from the short bus. In 2 years, I've never had one bite my bait, yet both Patrick and I got taken for a ride by the retarded mammals. Strange thing on mine was that when I finally realized what it was and thumbed the spool, the only thing that came back broken was my sinker slider. Must have gotten whacked by its tail. Exciting 30 seconds nonetheless.
Old 01-08-2007, 12:05 PM   #7
Corey

I hooked a small dolphin on a flylined mac a few years ago, and to this point it was the only dolphin hookup I'd heard of.

I guess you should take it as a complement to your presentation.
Old 01-08-2007, 12:09 PM   #8
Iceman
Administrator

Quote:
I hooked a small dolphin on a flylined mac a few years ago, and to this point it was the only dolphin hookup I'd heard of.
That is because you never listen to me, I hooked one last year, ya turd :lol:
Old 01-08-2007, 05:44 PM   #9
Aaron&Julie

David,
Sorry to hear about the poor luck. We went "bugging" that night in SD bay and had just a little better luck than you. We are splitting the one legal we got for dinner tonight. Still, that's 6 consecutive trips to SD bay where we didn't come back skunked.
Thanks for the report, good to hear from you on this board, and we'll see you on the water.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:42 PM   #10
Mr GreenJeans

Screen Name

Iceman

Good work finding a picture of my childhood hero. I guess that makes me an official Flower Child.

David
Mr GreenJeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 09:58 PM   #11
Corey

[quote="Iceman"]
Quote:
That is because you never listen to me, I hooked one last year, ya turd :lol:
Well i guess I never heard about it. Who you callin' a turd, turd? :mrgreen:
Old 01-09-2007, 06:49 AM   #12
Iceman
Administrator

speaking of porpoise.................

I found this conversion kit for my ol grey Malibu Extreme on Craigslist for only $100!

I call it the Y-Paddle

Old 01-09-2007, 11:04 AM   #13
Corey

That thing looks heavy. I wouldn't try surf launching it.
Old 01-09-2007, 01:38 PM   #14
kurt

Is that Cliff Clavin in their?
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote