Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-2010, 07:05 PM   #1
yakittyyak
Junior

Tandem question

Ok guys, I am getting a kayak rather shortly. Trouble is, I am getting only 1 and it has to be a tandem because the wife and kids will be using it also. My question is, will i be able to successfully convert this thing into the fishing attack vessel I want it to be? I am looking at either a Ocean Kayak Malibu 2XL or a Malibu Pro2. If i could get any helpful advise i'd love to hear it. ALSO I will be fishing in waters where I have the potential to hook into some 75# + halibut. what methods do you use to kill fish once you get them to the yak.
yakittyyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 07:35 PM   #2
whitedog

hobie hobie hobie!outfitter;0) kids and wife is replaced by beer cooler and bait tank for smooth ride. Ohhh! i ment cooler for soda fast lane will let you try it out.Best ever!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Catalina 170.jpg (109.0 KB, 149 views)
whitedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 07:42 PM   #3
whitedog

Old 01-26-2010, 07:45 PM   #4
whitedog

both hobie outfitter's revo cant do it.

Old 01-26-2010, 09:11 PM   #5
yakittyyak
Junior

Hadnt looked into the Hobies yet.... Trouble is with taking these things out for a test drive.... Man, Im in AK. I'll do some more research....Thanks
yakittyyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 09:57 PM   #6
whitedog

Ak, LUCKY! hands free = big butts
Old 01-26-2010, 10:16 PM   #7
tony

You want to talk to Howard McKim.........
http://www.ketchikankayakco.com
tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 06:39 AM   #8
'Cuda

the kill

Butts are all calm as you slip them onto your yak and between you're legs and just as you start to relax and catch your breath they go beserk....I've come away with bruises on my thighs. I carry an 18" length of 2by2 and beat them senseless before I unhook. Good luck.
'Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 07:17 AM   #9
SGV Rookie

Malibu two xl

I own a OK Malibu two xl and have taken my girlfriend and my kids on outings. I also used it succesfully by myself. Tracking was ok and speed was ok. It's a beast but it got the job done. For putting out fish, I carry a 26 inch broom stick handle piece with the first 12 inches wrapped. I have it marked to measure all species for CA DFG regulations and use it to smack the fish in the brain for almost instant dispatch. Hope this helps

Dave
SGV Rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 07:32 AM   #10
Iceman
Administrator

The Malibu Pro 2 Tandem can now be paddled solo by moving the seat to the center. Great deep V hull that paddles well. Get up to 6 flush mounts installed.

Easy fish finder install and ready to fish for about $1000 less than the Outfitter

You need a harpoon rather than a gaff for buts that size.

Old 01-27-2010, 08:39 AM   #11
-scallywag-
Banned

The pro2's are nice and work well in calm conditions, but if you plan on fishing in the ocean with potentially high winds, i would not even consider anything but a Hobie. If you only plan on using it in calm conditions, save the cash and find a tandem with the center seat option.
And don't forget to share to share the pics of those barn doors with us.
-scallywag- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 09:38 AM   #12
boogieman
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakittyyak View Post
Ok guys, I am getting a kayak rather shortly. Trouble is, I am getting only 1 and it has to be a tandem because the wife and kids will be using it also. My question is, will i be able to successfully convert this thing into the fishing attack vessel I want it to be? I am looking at either a Ocean Kayak Malibu 2XL or a Malibu Pro2. If i could get any helpful advise i'd love to hear it. ALSO I will be fishing in waters where I have the potential to hook into some 75# + halibut. what methods do you use to kill fish once you get them to the yak.
I ECOUNTER THE SAME PROBLEM WITH MY FIRST KAYAK, AND BUY A PRO 2 TANDEM, WHEN IM ALONE I SEAT ON THE CENTER HATCH AND PUT THE CRATE BEHIND TO HELP SUPORT THE SEAT, BUT FIRST ASK YOUR SELF HOW MANY TIMES THAT YOU ARE GOING TO FISH ALONE AND HOW MANNY TIMES WITH YOUR WIFE, I END UP FISHING MORE BY MY SELF THAT WITH MY WIFE SO YOU CAN THINK OF GETI9NG A SINGLE, AND A GATOR HATCH , AND THEN GETIN ANOTHER SINGLE, THE PROBLEM IS THAT IS A HEAVY KAYAK TO LOAD AND UNLOAD ON THE TRUCK, BUT REALY HANDEL WELL ON ANNY CONDITION.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ESCANEADAS 021.jpg (76.5 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg SANTIAGO 1ER DIA 311.jpg (60.0 KB, 69 views)
boogieman is offline   Reply With Quote