Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2010, 05:43 PM   #1
Willy

How smart can a seal really be?

Has this happened to any of you?

My buddy took our hoops out to Mission Bay last week, just after the big storms we had.
He said the bugging along the jetty was skunk, and they had a terrible time with the seals. More than the usual terrible time the Mission Bay seals, they were dragging the hoops around, of course stealing the bait baskets, and here's the kicker:

My friend began a pull...it felt heavy...he got excited, until he found the bait basket gone, and the hoop filled with rocks!

Could the seals have filled the hoop with rocks, or used them to break the bait basket open?
I hoop a lot (not in the bay so much) and have never had this happen.
Anyone?

By the way there were no divers in the water, as it was still post storm zero viz...

Willy
Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 08:18 PM   #2
dgax65
Guerro Grande

Did you happen to notice if these 'seals' (sea lions) had opposable thumbs. If they are evolving and have developed opposable thumbs, we are in a buttload o' trouble. Think of what that would bring. Not only could they steal the mac off your hook, but they might tie your line to another yakker. It would be chaos.

More likely that they were dragging the hoops across a stretch of bottom with some loose rock and your net scooped some up.
Old 02-02-2010, 07:12 AM   #3
taggermike

Not to cast unfounded accusations, but that might have been a diver playing a bit of a joke on your buddy. Either that or the seals are evolving like Doug said. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 08:26 AM   #4
Willy

No worries mike,

I suggested the same thing to my buddy, but he insisted the water was too rough and murky from the storms for divers, and he didn't see the 'glow' in the water that divers tend to make.

The only seals I know with opposable thumbs are in Coronado, and they're way to busy for this kind of nonsense.

I think Doug is right, the net was likely dragged and scooped up some rocks.

Just wondered if anyone has ever pulled up rocks before.

Willy
Willy is offline   Reply With Quote