Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-24-2017, 02:43 PM   #1
ProfessorLongArms

Fishing Conditions- how much do you overthink your trip?

I'm curious what different fishermen take into account for ideal conditions....

Obviously weather is the first limiting factor.
I also keep reading water temp can be a huge determining factor depending on the species you're targeting.

Beyond that, how much do you like to dig in on your lunar conditions, etc?

I was reading that it's usually a good idea to launch in an incoming high tide and land before it's low... If nothing else for the sake of easy lanunch/landing. Most days I end up hitting rocks in Malibu when I come in so it tends to be pretty random.

How do you like tides for actual fishing activity and current for paddling? I've seen a few passages like "Halibuts love changing tides on a full moon during spawning"

OTOH, the internet is nothing if not full of conflicting information.

I'm also curious for opinions on Solunar info. Looking at the third, it's full-on Full Moon, which seems auspicious enough. Then I'm starting to read about Major and minor Solunar periods....

I've read conflicting reports... Some people say that the Majors (when the moon is directly over) are best for feeding, and others have said the Moonsets/rises (minor periods) are best for feeding activity. Both?

Looking at the chart for the 3rd, I see a Major period between 12:30 and 2:30pm and a Minor period between 6:30 and 7:30pm (I guess they vary in duration because of an elliptical orbit)... By that measure, you could easily be out on the water and fish through both...

At a certain point, I just get in my boat and put bait in the water, but I'm curious if anyone has consistent experience... Even if just anecdotal or something their dad told them.
ProfessorLongArms is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
conditions, moon phase, solunar, tide