Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 07-26-2012, 05:40 AM   #21
gupppy

my knife is a 99 cent folded knife from bps. it stays in one of the chest latch pockets and doesn't fall out.
gupppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 07:47 AM   #22
Gigafish

My knife is the Rambo knife. Compass, matches, fishing line, hooks all in one.
Gigafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:06 AM   #23
taggermike

When I worked in Alaska all the guys on our siene boat wore the serrated SpiderCo knives on their suspenders of thier slickers. I like the non-pointed knives because you rarely use the point of a knife and having the point in any emergency situation its more likely to end up in you. I worked for years as a meat cutter and I can't think of a knife chore where I used the point of my knife. The woman in this vid looks like she's doing fine with a knife with no point. Mike

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tU5nmzqfbw
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:46 AM   #24
addicted2sp33d
Here fishy fishy fishy...

Wow, that lady has a really sharp blade. I agree - cutting has more to do with a sharp blade than a pointy tip... but I still like to have a pointy tip around.

I have a 6" Rapala (fixed) blade mounted on the left panel of my PFD, handle-up, so it doesn't fall out and I can unsheath it and have it ready to go like this:

My thought process is:
  • It's on my PFD, in a consistent place, so if for some reason I am separated from my boat or if I can't see, I will still have my knife.
  • I like fixed blades because there's more to "break" on one of those flip knives. Also, the mechanics of deploying and retracting the blade is not always easy with gloves-on.
  • If I'm using it to cut bait, I'm in no rush and I can change grip.
  • If I need an emergency cut, I will be slashing away from my body instead of pulling towards my body.
  • If I need an emergency stab of some kind (think dark unblinking eyes), the blade is already in the right grip for me to deliver at least an annoying pinprick to the snout or eyeball.

Last edited by addicted2sp33d; 07-26-2012 at 08:54 AM.
addicted2sp33d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 01:31 PM   #25
Photoxic
Junior

I use the NRS CRKT Renner Neckolas knife on my PFD. It's light weight and fits perfectly on my pfd.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 41MGSqj-ivL._SS500_.jpg (24.2 KB, 45 views)
Photoxic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 02:30 PM   #26
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
3 years later.....

I'm still carry the same Spyderco crossbill. Pretty much looks the same as it did. It's perfect for what I use it for. Love it and I use it all the time.

I've got a good story about it safety wise. A skiff hooping near a local breakwall ran over one of his hoop net ropes and wrapped it so bad it stalled his outboard. When he couldn't seem to get the motor going again I paddled over and found he still the outboard drive up out of the water and was trying to saw the rope off with an old fillet knife. He was using some old stiff 1/2 yellow poly ski type rope with his nets and it had wrapped a bunch of times around the prop shaft and hub. With all the wraps and the thick poly he wasn't making much headway, and drifting in onto the rocks. I opened my knife put the point under the first wrap then systematically cut through one wrap after another rocking the knife edge up curved back to the hub like a pry bar to cut the ropes like an old fashioned can opener. Worked great had it all off in about a minute, and he got his motor back down and started just in time to keep his boat off the rocks.

He offered me money, then bugs but I turned him down, though I will admit I drank a few of his beers.

Slow hooping but I felt like a million bucks. Love that knife wouldn't trade it. Probably should buy a backup in case I ever loose it.

Jim
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 03:49 PM   #27
finyak

I found mine on the freeway.

Finyak
finyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 03:49 PM   #28
richard67b

I HAVE SAME KNIFE AS JORLVIVIL 2 YRS OLD

ALL ABOUT SAFETY ............
richard67b is offline   Reply With Quote