Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2012, 07:40 AM   #1
Fisherman4454
Junior

LJ lost another long time resident sunday..

Went out sunday, trolling jacks around the edge of the kelp. Caught a few nice calicos and a decent cuda. It was a nice day out until I came across this guy
photo2.jpg

You can kinda see in the pic, he was half eaten by something by the time I found him. I wasn't really bummed until i got a little closer and saw the gaping wound on his underside, I could be off but it looks like someone gaffed the poor guy, and then even realized what they did or someone told them they just gaffed -$20,000 and they ditched him.
photo.jpg

I'm by no means an expert fisherman, but I know what the hell a black seabass looks like, and I'm sure the majority of fisherman know these fish are endangered and deserve our best efforts to protect them. It's crap like this that gives fishermen a bad name, gives hardcore anti-fishermen ammo, not to mention it's just flat out senseless.

I dont understand how in this day and age, when it takes 30 seconds using google on your to identify any fish you catch, stuff like this happens. Know before you go all the regs of any fish you might encounter out there, save our oceans and save yourself a hefty fine...
Fisherman4454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 08:04 AM   #2
Yakin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman4454 View Post
I dont understand how in this day and age, when it takes 30 seconds using google on your to identify any fish you catch, stuff like this happens. Know before you go all the regs of any fish you might encounter out there, save our oceans and save yourself a hefty fine...
Very well put!!
Old 07-25-2012, 08:25 AM   #3
Gigafish

R.I.P.
Gigafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 08:28 AM   #4
RedSledTeam
Daddeo

Sadly, an unfortunate ending to such a magnificent beast. Its hard to estimate the size from the pictures. How large would you estimate his size if he was whole?
RedSledTeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 08:38 AM   #5
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

R.I.P.

Now he will be part of the food chain. Lobster meat, shark meat... Crab Meat

Team: Disbanded
You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:09 AM   #6
Fisherman4454
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSledTeam View Post
Sadly, an unfortunate ending to such a magnificent beast. Its hard to estimate the size from the pictures. How large would you estimate his size if he was whole?
I'm not sure, probably around 5 feet.. Fish was older than me
Old 07-25-2012, 10:29 AM   #7
lowprofile
#1 on fishstick's hitlist

Gills look fresh, bright red and not white. But looks like its starting to rot... very sad. Well, the 7 gills and Soupfin will be happy. BTW did this happen to be about 400 yrds off of the children's cove?
Old 07-25-2012, 10:31 AM   #8
Fiskadoro

I hate to contradict you, but all kinds of things could of killed that fish, and that hole in it's gut is too big and not the shape that would of been made by a gaff.

If I had to guess I'd say that seabass was killed by a large mako. It's one of the only predators local that kills big fish like swords and black seabass.

They attack large fish by chasing them down with superior speed, then rip the tails off the fish to cripple them. They then come back too feed after the fish has bleed out, usually ripping off huge chunks from the tail section, and often leave the front halves of really huge fish floating.

I've seen them feed on swordfish that were as big as they are this way. I also cleaned one that had huge chunks of meat in it's gut that didn't look like swordfish, but did look like Black Seabass. I'd say a 400lb or 500lb Mako could of easily killed that fish and they get bigger up to a thousand pounds local.

Since they can't eat all of such a big prey, they go for the meat areas first then leave the rest for other scavengers.

Speaking of scavengers.... that hole in the gut where and it's placed on the topside of the floating carcass suggest it was probably made by a birds that pecked a hole big enough to get their heads in to feed on the guts.

Birds always go for the guts first since they don't have the teeth necessary to easily chew through the skin and strip meat off the bones. By making a hole they can get a lot of food quickly before other scavengers like Blue sharks arrive and finish the job.

When you fish offshore, especially around Catalina and Santa Barbara Island you see these carcass fairly often. Swords, Black Seabass, Seals, all with their back ends ripped away, usually floating with holes in their guts where the birds got to them.

Here's a good video of a Mako and a sealion where the Mako has ripped off the back end of the seal so it can't get away. Though the seal is still alive, the mako is circling him, taking bites off his back end while the seal bleeds out.

Let's face it nature is cruel at times. That's probably what happened to your Black Seabass.

I'd say that the vast majority of Anglers at La Jolla know better then to mess with Blacks, and just from the pic shown I'd say injuries on this fish don't really suggest it was killed by a fisherman, but instead by a mako.

Jim

Last edited by Fiskadoro; 07-25-2012 at 10:54 AM.
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 10:32 AM   #9
Fisherman4454
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowprofile View Post
Gills look fresh, bright red and not white. But looks like its starting to rot... very sad. Well, the 7 gills and Soupfin will be happy. BTW did this happen to be about 400 yrds off of the children's cove?
Yeah maybe a little further out. U saw it too?
Old 07-25-2012, 10:53 AM   #10
rogersmith

I blasted a dude under the Coronado bridge a few weeks back for gaffing a short WSB, a fish that easily could have been brought aboard for a measurement. The guy didn't even wait a second to swing the gaff when it came up to color
rogersmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 11:06 AM   #11
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Childrens Cove has a Harbor Seal Rookery. Prime hunting area for adult whites and Makos.
Old 07-25-2012, 11:25 AM   #12
gupppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogersmith View Post
I blasted a dude under the Coronado bridge a few weeks back for gaffing a short WSB, a fish that easily could have been brought aboard for a measurement. The guy didn't even wait a second to swing the gaff when it came up to color

is the guy still alive?!
gupppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 12:01 PM   #13
dos ballenas
Vampyroteuthis infernalis

It looks more like a spear fishing wound, of even just a hole made from birds pecking it on the surface.... either way, it's still a direct result of some recreational fishermen being careless...

dos ballenas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 12:30 PM   #14
vincentek9
MAYNEE-YAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by dos ballenas View Post
It looks more like a spear fishing wound, of even just a hole made from birds pecking it on the surface.... either way, it's still a direct result of some recreational fishermen being careless...

i was also going to say it looked like a spear wound. sucks to see a dead BSB, but at least it will feed other things nearby and isnt completely wasted. i've never even seen a bsb in my life yet, but i hope the population rebounds back enough for me to dive around and swim with one someday.
Old 07-25-2012, 01:16 PM   #15
lowprofile

Quote:
No, but I know that fish and its two buddies. The other two are about 3.5 ft.
Old 07-25-2012, 02:39 PM   #16
rogersmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by gupppy View Post
is the guy still alive?!
Blasted verbally I should have said!
rogersmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 02:57 PM   #17
Fiskadoro

Took me a little while to find this but your story reminded me of something that happened to a friend of mine.

He came up on a dead Black Seabass just like yours while fishing his skiff at Catalina a while back. All that was left was the head half. They figured a Mako got it, but figured the Mako had left so they picked up the head half to get some pics of it. When they pulled it out of the water the Mako showed up, so they tied a rope on it and took some pics of the mako feeding on it, then cut it loose so she could finish her meal.

Adult Makos and Whites have been observed demonstrating territorial behavior when it comes to their kills. Like I said I bet a Mako killed that fish but considering how fresh your seabass looks it also wouldn't surprise me if that big Mako was still watching it from down below where you couldn't see her while you were paddling around taking pictures of it.

Jim

Last edited by Fiskadoro; 07-25-2012 at 03:10 PM.
Old 07-25-2012, 04:07 PM   #18
dorado50

I would have rushed it to sea world,they are good with helping animals especially sea lions...
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 04:13 PM   #19
lowprofile

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado50 View Post
I would have rushed it to sea world,they are good with helping animals especially sea lions...
Lol the bsb was dead and I'm sure everyone here would be rooting for the shark if they saw a seal being attacked.
Old 07-25-2012, 04:15 PM   #20
deepdvr

You'd think the furbags would be all over that liver. Mr. knothead is pretty good at finding/stealing a fish and devouring the stomach and leaving the rest. That's never happened to me.....I've just seen it.

Hmmmnn....maybe the taxman was hanging around.