Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2013, 08:07 AM   #1
caddisx
caddisx

Newport 6/30

Made it on the water around 6:30 and went straight to bait barge. It was a beautiful morning... no fog, but a couple of rollers were working into the harbor. I got some bait and took off for Crystal Cove. Drifted for 3 hours with very little success. Caught a small sheephead and what I think was a small white sea bass. Came back in and fished around the barge for an hour with another guy in a blue yak. Caught a small calico and 5 more of what I believe are juvenile white sea bass. I am posting so if they are something else some one can let me know. Everything went back into the ocean. It was getting bumpy out there with traffic so out I went around 12:00pm.

Name:  20130630_105458.jpg
Views: 667
Size:  59.7 KB
Name:  20130630_075213.jpg
Views: 624
Size:  57.4 KB

Last edited by caddisx; 07-01-2013 at 08:15 AM.
caddisx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:14 AM   #2
sharjak

Juvi Ghosts
sharjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:26 AM   #3
YakHanded
Thread Killer - sorry

What did the juvi white girls bite on? did the barge have live squishies?
Old 07-01-2013, 09:06 AM   #4
caddisx
caddisx

Small chovies... There must have been a lot hanging around the barge because I had 5 in an hour and had I been able to stick around I believe I could have had more. Was looking for a Hali or two. Gent in blue kayak got bent real nice but fumbled trying to get it on his game hook.
Old 07-01-2013, 10:15 AM   #5
vincentek9
MAYNEE-YAK

nice going out there. definitely juvi seabass. maybe they just released them from the pens.
Old 07-01-2013, 04:00 PM   #6
rieffer

Ahh you should have been there yesterday! I went out Saturday in the fog. Man, was it thick!!! Anyway, I just started stopping at every kelp stringer I could see... First stop, 3 cast's, 3 calicos ( 2 legal). The current was really fickle. Managed 5 more calicos and 1 sandi the rest of the day, 2 more being legal... all released. Really fun until the jet skiers showed up. Congrat's to your day, we should hook up
rieffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 05:02 PM   #7
caddisx
caddisx

I am always looking for people to go out with. I need a lot of tips and tricks in regards to saltwater. I'm a convert from years of fly fishing in Montana.
Old 07-01-2013, 05:15 PM   #8
socal_matt
Cruisin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by rieffer View Post
Ahh you should have been there yesterday! I went out Saturday in the fog. Man, was it thick!!! Anyway, I just started stopping at every kelp stringer I could see... First stop, 3 cast's, 3 calicos ( 2 legal). The current was really fickle. Managed 5 more calicos and 1 sandi the rest of the day, 2 more being legal... all released. Really fun until the jet skiers showed up. Congrat's to your day, we should hook up

Hey, were you the one in the orange hobie out there? If you were, I was the one in the yellow ocean kayak who stopped to talk for a little bit.