Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-26-2013, 12:30 PM   #1
Cadillyak
Team Get $$

San Diego Bay all you can catch pancakes

Monday June 24:
Should of known it was going to be a good day when I accidentally ran into a couple doing their thing at 3:45am in their black BMW where I typically launch. Sorry for the interruption, I just wanna get out on the water. LOL. So after they realized that I was gonna be there for a while and they would have to find another spot to continue their mission, off they went. BTW, your old lady forgot her shoes in the rush.

Well like I said in a previous post, I wanted to peddle out at LJ for my bday, but had no takers, so off to the big bay I went. Was a beautiful morning, seeing as how I launched at like 4am. Just wanted to have a nice peddle to the bait barge, pick up some live bait, and try my luck solo. First scoop was dines. I figured go big or go home. I drifted for the next two hours and had a few raked baits and 1 come unbuttoned for my efforts.

It was starting to look like I was gonna get skunked for my bday. Not a chance. Went back to the barge, picked up a scoop of anchovies and it was on like donkey kong. The quality wasn't there, but the numbers sure were. For the next 7-8 hours I drifted and absolutley hammered the fish. I actually had to go and get another scoop of anchovies. I couldn't keep a rod in the water. Good times and a great bday. Got home to watch my hawks win the stanley cup. All in all a great day. I have more

Final count was:
17 halibut, 3 being legal 22in,23in,23in. Legal is legal
12 smooth hound sharks
4 mackrel
4 rays
1 sandie
1 shovelnose

...I kept the shovelnose because I have a buddy that is a chef and he has been dying to get his hands on one. To each their own.

Tight lines,

Cadillyak
Attached Images

Last edited by Cadillyak; 06-26-2013 at 12:36 PM.
Cadillyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 12:51 PM   #2
Raskal311

Nice!
Old 06-26-2013, 01:14 PM   #3
easyday

Very nice day indeed
Old 06-26-2013, 01:22 PM   #4
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
Nice day indeed! Good eating too!

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 02:26 PM   #5
wbrewski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadillyak View Post
Monday June 24:
Should of known it was going to be a good day when I accidentally ran into a couple doing their thing at 3:45am in their black BMW where I typically launch. Sorry for the interruption, I just wanna get out on the water. LOL. So after they realized that I was gonna be there for a while and they would have to find another spot to continue their mission, off they went. BTW, your old lady forgot her shoes in the rush.

Well like I said in a previous post, I wanted to peddle out at LJ for my bday, but had no takers, so off to the big bay I went. Was a beautiful morning, seeing as how I launched at like 4am. Just wanted to have a nice peddle to the bait barge, pick up some live bait, and try my luck solo. First scoop was dines. I figured go big or go home. I drifted for the next two hours and had a few raked baits and 1 come unbuttoned for my efforts.

It was starting to look like I was gonna get skunked for my bday. Not a chance. Went back to the barge, picked up a scoop of anchovies and it was on like donkey kong. The quality wasn't there, but the numbers sure were. For the next 7-8 hours I drifted and absolutley hammered the fish. I actually had to go and get another scoop of anchovies. I couldn't keep a rod in the water. Good times and a great bday. Got home to watch my hawks win the stanley cup. All in all a great day. I have more

Final count was:
17 halibut, 3 being legal 22in,23in,23in. Legal is legal
12 smooth hound sharks
4 mackrel
4 rays
1 sandie
1 shovelnose

...I kept the shovelnose because I have a buddy that is a chef and he has been dying to get his hands on one. To each their own.

Tight lines,

Cadillyak
What does the bait barge charge for a kayak scoop down there?
Old 06-26-2013, 02:38 PM   #6
silentsmell

Happy birthday! Did you have a good halibut dinner?
silentsmell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 02:51 PM   #7
roadx

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbrewski View Post
What does the bait barge charge for a kayak scoop down there?
$10.00 for a kayak scoop
Old 06-26-2013, 03:20 PM   #8
steveooo

Got any more pics of the shovel nose? Any chance it had big jagged teeth? Angel shark?
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 04:16 PM   #9
captnblood34

That angel shark in the back of your truck appears to be an angel shark and not a "shovel nose" guitar fish.
captnblood34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 04:20 PM   #10
wbrewski

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadx View Post
$10.00 for a kayak scoop
Thanks for the info and very nice fish for a birthday present.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:05 PM   #11
Cadillyak
Team Get $$

Quote:
Originally Posted by captnblood34 View Post
That angel shark in the back of your truck appears to be an angel shark and not a "shovel nose" guitar fish.
After looking at a few pics, I'm torn. There were no teeth, and mouth was located under the fish but the blunt nose looks like an angel. I can totally see what you mean. Thanks to all for the kind words. Had a great bday and a halibut dinner for myself the wife and little ones. All in all a really good day.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:14 PM   #12
Aaron&Julie

WTG

They post a size limit for a reason. At least one chance at procreation during a fishes life cycle. Nice haul, good eats, and congratulations.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:27 PM   #13
Cadillyak
Team Get $$

Indeed. I hooked several that taped out at 20-21 1/2. Just glad I didn't sink a gaff in them. The three I did gaff were no doubt 22+. I did come close at 22 3/4 but all is good. Just need to catch 30+'s now so there's no ?'s
Old 06-26-2013, 11:02 PM   #14
Aaron&Julie

No tickets, please

Here, here, Cadillyak. But, I think most kayak fishermen/women, or non-kayak people would say, don't sink a gaff into a fish if you have doubts as to whether it's rather close to being legal. As in, you should truly believe it is 25 inches or greater. 23" is too close for such a valuable resource. No worries, but keep it in mind, that 22.5, 23, or even a 24 incher, you DON'T stick the gaff in, as it will be 8lbs the next time you catch it. Besides, and ESPECIALLY, when fishing for 'buts, you are supposed to have a net. Actually, at all times, you are, but, the DFG will probably cut you some slack in open waters, like La Jolla. Food for thought. Tight lines, and go catch some more. We'll probably see you off of L.J. someday.
Aaron

Last edited by Aaron&Julie; 06-27-2013 at 07:42 AM.
Aaron&Julie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 06:23 AM   #15
Baja_Traveler

In high school I made a hobby of wading the flats down at the entrance to Fiesta Island bowfishing stingrays and such. One day I shot a nice shovelnose and brought it home. All the meat is in the tail, and it yielded really nice steaks. I put them in the smoker and they came out looking beautiful, but the meat was so oily it was near inedible. The taste was good, but the oil was just too much to overcome. Maybe if your chef friend worked up a brine to soak the meat in and leach out most of the oil it would be a really good tasting fish.
Baja_Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 07:25 AM   #16
mtnbykr2

A freezer full is a freezer full, congrats on what sounds like a great day...
Old 06-27-2013, 07:47 AM   #17
Aaron&Julie

In 1984, while living in my car for 3 months (worked "The Charger" albie boat, for a while), I caught a shovelnose in SD bay. A couple I met that day, had some wine, and I cooked some filets right there on the spot with the wine in a skillet over an open fire. It tasted pretty damn good. But, then again, I was living out of my car, so flip-flops might have tasted good on an open fire. The couple did enjoy it, too, though.
Old 06-27-2013, 07:51 AM   #18
taggermike

Looks like a sun day of catching. Well done. Like others said, that doent look like shovel nose. If it has a round nose and a small mouth on thed bottom in might be a thorny back. Did it have a small tail and rows of spines down its back? Chovies are great bait. Big halis will eat them. So will about every other fish in the bay. Bigger sardines, or even macks, will keep the smalle fish off and let you target the bigger halibut. Don't discount the chovies and small dines tho. The biggest hallie I've caught in SD bay wason a little sardine. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 11:03 AM   #19
janines.fishtales@cox.net

Great Bday!

What a great B-day present! Good job!

Janine
Old 06-27-2013, 11:10 AM   #20
Cadillyak
Team Get $$

So I found out that indeed it wansn't a shovelnose nor was it an angel shark. The fish actually was a thornback guitarfish. Interesting