Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2013, 07:46 PM   #1
Honcho

squid jig..bycatch...

Launched LJ yesterday with high hopes of catching something big...after a late start, (hanging out with FishNinjaY and watching the awesome fireworks). Was on the water about 9 am with my son and I on the yellow Hobie tandem. The surf was about 1-2ft, and the water was nice. Took off and peddled through the surf as if we were professionals (4th time out)...since we launched late we decided to make bait (squid) and go after some rock fish.
I read on the BWE about using a jig instead of lead weight on a sabiki and you might catch something other than bait...I put it to use on a squid ganion. On our last drop, I drop the squid ganion with a black and white tady down and I start to yo-yo couple of times and I start to wind. As I am winding, suddenly I get pulled down, I yank and its a tug a war - I am thinking at this time it must be a tail - as I am pulling, I see out of the corner of my eye something starts to break surface..the next moment happened incredibly fast! All of the sudden I see a tail, couple of fins and then a thresher shark's face/mouth and shaking violently and is visibly pissed off! It was the length of my yak (12~14ft), I stopped breathing and pulled a little too hard and bam! broke the line..My son who was sitting in the front, saw the whole thing and turned back and said in a calm voice, 'dad, that was a shark, that was cool.' I think I charred a little and took off....called it a day...

Other than that, it was slow and a ton of bait to be found. No rock fish or anything otherwise, we did manage a halibut but it was short...will be back at it again next week.
Honcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 08:57 PM   #2
FishNinjaY

You've had some interesting bycatch... wasn't your jackpot caught on a halibut troll? lol...

Anyways, after your msg about today's adventure, I stopped by Performance Tackle and got some stuff.. still not quite sure how I'm going to do this, or how to find bait on my fishfinder.. but I'll give it a try!

Honch, what were you using with the glow tady? A single squid jig? or a ganion like this? or a squid sabiki? This squid ganion I got seems like it would be not too hard to handle on the yak. It has 5 of these spider traps, spaced apart on about 3 or 4 feet of heavy mono.

Does anyone put a single squid jig at the bottom of your sabiki, (with an added torpedo or tady below)? I guess it depends on what you see on your fishfinder? and if your going for bait fish or squid (or both)?

HC, Exciting story.. you need to pack a tail rope on your yak now, bro!
Attached Images

FishNinjaY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:28 PM   #3
steveooo

Honcho- Cool adventure with the thresher. My first T was caught accidentally on the iron. Thet size you hooked seems to be a bit big to manage on a tandem kayak with a child on board. Maybe a good thing the line broke and left you just with a good story. For the rockfish, go back out during lobster season and you will be able to find and mark a few good stones in 100-150 feet.

FishNinjaY- If you are trying to make squid, use the izorline ganion type one. You might occasionally get one on a traditional sabiki, but you'll increase your odds if you use the squid ganion. I usually use a 5 oz torpedo on the bottom of it, unless I know there is absolutely no structure around. If there is not, I'll use a glow jig like a tady 9, A2, 4/0 or Sumo Jr to increase my chances of catching bait, or an actual game fish while trying to make bait. If there are too many squid eggs on the bottom that get snagged on the treble, I'll switch it back to a torpedo.
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 11:30 PM   #4
chuckt

Is the squid ganion supposed to be jerked up and down so it snags squids? Or you drop it down to the bottom and let it sits until squids grab the hook?
I have seen squid jig that imitates shrimp (made by yozuri I think) , Are those better?
chuckt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:43 AM   #5
captnblood34

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gap0skkUmjQ
captnblood34 is offline   Reply With Quote