Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2014, 09:07 AM   #1
PapaDave

DP, Tuesday 5-27

Water was nice, a little green inshore but blue outside. Lots of porpoises, hard to find the macs, 6-9", until they left, then they were plentiful. Started trolling around outside the kelp line to the point, about 65ft depth, looking for anything but mostly a T.

Not much but did hook up on something rather large, not entirely what it was though even though it came out of the water three times. I believe it was foul hooked as after the third breach it got loose. The bait was untouched and still lively.

The fish didn't actually jump, more like breached, like a whale would do. In fact, it looked a lot like a whale, only much smaller. Logically I would say it was a T, as that is what I was mainly going for. It hit like one, sort of, but when it jumped it only got about halfway out of the water, and I did not see the fins or tail. Could be the tail was snagged on the hook, but I'm not sure. But I am not entirely certain of it.

Could it have been Mola? Do they jump?

Ended the afternoon drifting down the pipe for some bass, which was a picky bite but a bite non the less. Did get a legal Sheepshead and a nice Calico.
Old 05-29-2014, 10:47 AM   #2
GregAndrew

Mola do jump, that is usually how you know they are around. Saw some sharks breaching and spinning down a bit South of you last weekend. Guessing they were small Makos?
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 11:07 AM   #3
PapaDave

Looked up some vids on YouTube, it was a mola that I hooked.