Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2009, 10:38 AM   #1
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Exclamation SD CITY COUNCIL MEETING!!!!

I know there are a lot of posts coming out, but 20 days, and counting, before there will be nothing left that you can do.

We need all the people we can get to go to this meeting. Please attend, Friends of Seals, and all the other Anti-Fishing groups will be there to try and get the San Diego City Council to push for closures of La Jolla and Pt. Loma, and support the MLPA.

Anglers in Redondo, where able to show up and make a difference.

THE COMMITTEE ON NATURAL RESOURCES AND CULTURE
OF THE CITY COUNCIL OF THE CITY OF SAN DIEGO
Councilmember Frye, Chair
Councilmember Carl DeMaio, Vice Chair
Councilmember Sherri Lightner
Councilmember Marti Emerald
AGENDA FOR

WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 7, 2009, AT 2:00 P.M.
COUNCIL COMMITTEE ROOM (12TH FLOOR),
CITY ADMINISTRATION BUILDING
202 C STREET, SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 10:53 AM   #2
tylerdurden
Bad Clone

Ugh. Makes me sick. We all know the friends of the seals will turn out, they don't have real jobs. We all know what they will lobby for. The question is whether we are going to take it. We must speak up for what is right.

Let the Fish and Game Commission know what you think about the proposed maps.

Be ready for December 9th and 10th.

tylerdurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 10:57 AM   #3
zenspearo

This is a critical meeting Kayakfishermen. Not only that, it's critical to get everyone you know to write/call the city council members to express your reservation against the MLPA process and its impact on San Diego's economic base.

Remember how city council support enables the Children Pool people to persuade the CA legislature to essentially take a beach away from San Diego. Don't let this happen with the MLPA.

Remember how Laguna's City Council support was one of the critical factors in Group 1 and Group 3 taking away all of shore access in the city of Laguna.

This is an end-game strategy by the enviros clearly designed to get the support of San Diego City Council in time to influence the decision of the BRTF by Oct. 21st.

In many ways, this is as critical, or more critical, than any other MLPA meeting you have attended in the past.

1) Get as many people to write or call as possible.
2) Make sure kayakfishermen aren't shut out of ALL OF La Jolla. We can lose the battle and the war right here (Remember the BRTF can--and did in other MLPA study regions--come up with their own larger closures. Don't let this happen to La Jolla based on SD City Council's endorsement). If we don't do something, we'll only be allowed to look at the kelp next year from shore (but not from Children's Pool--we are already kicked out of that one).
Old 10-01-2009, 11:05 AM   #4
JoeBeck

This world has gone crazy!
JoeBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 12:27 PM   #5
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Bump, this is coming quickly, we need all available Kayak Fishermen to represent to the city of San Diego, the negative economic impact on the MLPAI.

Coast Keeper is going to be there in force!!!

Starts at 2pm, take a half day, I asked for one!
Old 10-01-2009, 12:54 PM   #6
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Guys find your City Council Member and send them a quick email on the local economic impact of the MLPA, and to VOTE NO at this meeting. I just sent Sherri Lightner another email.

http://www.sandiego.gov/citycouncil/

I will see you at this meeting, who is joining me?
Old 10-01-2009, 01:50 PM   #7
Tman
BRTF...bought & paid...

Frye is a surfer...a true blue old schooler. Hopefully she will lean in our favor.

Emerald, being that we are $179,000,000 in debt, I think if she realizes the negative effect on the SD economy, may help us.

Closing Pt Loma and LJ at the same time, unemployment would sky...

Tman
Gaffer for Clay the Fishcatcher
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 01:50 PM   #8
zenspearo

Guys,

We should model our SD City Council effort after Redondo's successful advocacy.

Here are the resolutions that come out of the Redondo's City Council. We want at minimum to achieve the same.

Please see attached.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2009 Apr 20 MLPA.pdf (282.6 KB, 12 views)
File Type: pdf RB Mayor MLPA Letter 072709 Reduced.pdf (435.4 KB, 11 views)
Old 10-04-2009, 10:26 AM   #9
Saba Slayer

Redondo

Holy Mackerel said "Anglers in Redondo, where able to show up and make a difference."
Here is some of the economic impact info from the Redondo area. This is SMALL peanuts compaired to the San Diego area's ECONOMIC IMPACT.

The economic impacts are calculated using the Boating Economic Model created by the Recreation Marine Research center at Michigan State University.
This model uses information from over 12,500 nationwide boater surveys regarding craft spending, and 13,000 boaters regarding theirtrip spending activities. It found that the King Harbor Marina generates $46,755,000 in economic activity annually, and provides 267 jobs. This includes the launching activities.
Data from a visitors survey that was conducted specifically at King Harbor was then used to determine how much of this activity is directly related to the ability to fish the local waters. There are 1,465 vessels in King Harbor and 185 responded to the survey. Of the respondents, 41% said they would not continue to keep their vessel , "If the current locations where you fish became off limits..." From information gathered from Redondo Sport Fishing and Tackle, 80% of the fishing activity that originates from King Harbor occurs at Rocky Point.
Given that 41% of the vessels in King Harbor are there to fish and 80% of those to fish Rocky Point specifically, the surrounding communities will lose $17,317,000 in economic activity annually, and 87 jobs.
Good Luck In Sandy Eggo....Fight the Fight it's worth it!
Jim / Saba Slayer
Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 01:11 PM   #10
JoeBeck

I've sent a letter to each one of them and will be at the meeting. Also going to call each of them. We can not have our City Council show support for radical closures and we must show up in force to fight the Coastkeepers. At the very least they need to show support for Map 2. Not being able to responsibly use the ocean, that is a right we can not lose. We can not be told that we can not go and enjoy nature, especially inshore in a low impact manner. Sorry hanging out in the concrete jungle does not do it for me. I am not a large parking lot mall going type of guy. I enjoy nature when I'm not at work and I do it by interacting with it.

Does anyone know how city council meetings work? Will everyone be able to comment?
Old 10-04-2009, 01:31 PM   #11
Billy V

I was told by phone from Donna Frye's office that everyone who wants to speak, can speak.
They want to hear both sides of the argument.
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 08:27 AM   #12
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy V View Post
I was told by phone from Donna Frye's office that everyone who wants to speak, can speak.
They want to hear both sides of the argument.
Ok, lets rally! Daily bump!
Old 10-05-2009, 11:39 AM   #13
Billy V

Hello Everyone....
Are You Sending in Your E Mails ???

Please send your E Mail's today, I was told by Donna Frye's Office that they are going to use those E Mails and Public Commentary to Make a Decision wether or not to go forward with the SD Coast keepers Request.

-You can bet that the Other Side if Flooding the Council Members with E mails to boot your As* off the water!
-This literally takes a couple of minutes to compose an effective e mail and SEND IT TO EVERY COUNCIL MEMBER'S E MAIL ADDY POSTED IN THE THREAD.

Please do it now. We will have our work cut out for us at the meeting.
All the Friends of Seal Nut Cases, and Enviro Zombies will be there trying to drown Us Out.

Make the commitment.
Billy V
Old 10-05-2009, 11:58 AM   #14
Billy V

This warrants repeating.

-If Recreation Kayak Fisherman/Spearos-etc. can't use it- Nobody Else Can Either!
This is Only a Law Suit Filing Away-

The State AG's Office just clarified their position on what non-fishing activity is prohibited in a State Marine Reserve.

Basically, any activity that "injure" to "any" living marine resource is a no-no in a State Marine Reserve unless it's "permitted research, restoration, and monitoring."

This is a powerful argument with SD city council against SMRs in La Jolla (as in Group 3) and Point Loma. We should bring this up--if La Jolla and Point Loma is closed to beach access, surfing, boating, diving, etc., the city of San Diego will take it on the chin.

See here.

http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=93285
Old 10-05-2009, 12:41 PM   #15
Tman
BRTF...bought & paid...

Man oh man...and at the Surfrider meeting when I mentioned what area I'd like to see stay open in N County, they laughed.

No more surfing for you fellas....

Let's see how they like it when they have to paddle 3 miles to get to a surf spot...

Tman
Gaffer for Clay the Fishcatcher
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 04:08 PM   #16
kurt

Here's the link to Coastkeeper's proposal:
http://docs.sandiego.gov/councilcomm..._091007-8a.pdf
LaJolla specifically is mentioned several times. They want it all. If you can make this meeting, please do!
Old 10-05-2009, 05:07 PM   #17
Billy V

Take Particular Notice of Section 4.

Section 4
THE CITY COUNCIL OF SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA ENDORSES THE PLACEMENT OF A FULLY PROTECTED MARINE RESERVE IN LA JOLLA.
Old 10-07-2009, 04:08 PM   #18
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

I was there for 2 hours, and my 9 month old daughter could not take anymore, waiting to speak. But I did fill out an "oppose" form, and turn in my statement. They started calling fisherment an hour after I left. Good to see fellow fishermen there!

Council member Carl DeMaio stated that he had to leave early, but is "Standing with the fishermen on this issue"

PLEASE SEND HIM A THANK YOU email, and to support WG 2.

Watch it live CityTV | City of San Diego (http://www.sandiego.gov/citytv/)

District 5
Councilmember Carl DeMaio
E-mail: carldemaio@sandiego.gov

Old 10-07-2009, 04:28 PM   #19
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Marti Emerald to Coast Keeper, "you failed in your presentation, you used Teddy Roosevelt in your presentation, he was a sportsman, hunter, and fisherman. I cannot support your proposal."

Lightner capitulates with Emerald, and is concerned about the "no take, and contraints in the reserve."

PLEASE EMAIL Thank these people, & give your support to 2!

District 1
Councilmember Sherri Lightner
E-mail: sherrilightner@sandiego.gov

Dont forget DeMaio "with the fishermen on this one."

District 5
Councilmember Carl DeMaio
E-mail: carldemaio@sandiego.gov

Donna Frye: On the fence, "no motion, no action."

donnafrye@sandiego.gov

Last edited by Holy Mackerel; 10-07-2009 at 04:39 PM.
Old 10-07-2009, 05:19 PM   #20
JoeBeck

Carl DeMaio left early with the statement the San Diego City Council should side with the fishermen and support closures that are in the fisherman's best interest. He went on to say we have already lost too many jobs and too many industries and we should not lose our legacy.

Marti Emerald also lectured the coastkeepers about trying to sidestep the process at the last minute with basically BS data (she used a some bigger words ) She also rebutted their National Park argument by saying they are all set up for the people to use, enjoy and maintain.

They also all seemed to express not being happy hearing about these closures so late in the game.

Everyone who spoke did an excellent job. I'm home having a beer to celebrate this small victory in the large scale of things. I think Donna Frye did an excellent job running the meeting as well.