Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2015, 04:07 PM   #1
maquinapescado

Hobie Sail Kit

I was just wondering if anyone with a PA uses one? Mine came with one. I used it and was cool I guess. Just not sure if I want to lug it around every time I go out. I guess if I knew I was going for a long haul I would take it.

I feel like it is one of those things I would find myself saying, "I wish I brought my sail......."

Should I sell it or keep it?
Old 12-16-2015, 04:30 PM   #2
ctfphoto

I have the Hobie sail kit for my outback and love it. I do not use it every time. I do use it when the winds will be in a favorable direction. For La Jolla that would be nine times out of ten that you can sail back in during the afternoon with the winds from the West.
ctfphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 07:00 PM   #3
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctfphoto View Post
I have the Hobie sail kit for my outback and love it. I do not use it every time. I do use it when the winds will be in a favorable direction. For La Jolla that would be nine times out of ten that you can sail back in during the afternoon with the winds from the West.
Where do you stow it when you are not using it?

Does it catch wind enough to knock you over?

Is it like real sailing, or is it mostly to assist peddling a little?
Old 12-18-2015, 03:50 AM   #4
ctfphoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. NiceGuy View Post
Where do you stow it when you are not using it?

Does it catch wind enough to knock you over?

Is it like real sailing, or is it mostly to assist peddling a little?
I stow it in the garage when I'm not using it. On the water I stow it upright rolled up. It can be stow along side where the paddle goes.

In gusty conditions you need to be on your toes and be ready to shift weight instantly. I have not been blown over.

Yes it is like real sailing, the peddles can help but you do not need them if there is enough wind.

It is so fun that I am now seriously considering a Tandem AI....
ctfphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 06:31 AM   #5
Mahigeer

Since there is no keel on kayaks, two out riggers can help from tipping.

Still cannot go crazy with the sail.

I don't know if I want to fish with all that stuff in the way, but it certainly would be fun to sail.
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 08:30 AM   #6
Saba Slayer

AI

I'm waiting for my new Adventure Island...I saw Kevin Nakada from Hobie, fishing and hooping from a couple of Tandem Islands on a TV show and they looked like fun!
I used to sail a small Sabot type boat when I was a kid, so I tried the AI this Fall down in Newport and WOW...what fun and super easy to sail !
They are really stable and the self furling of the sail makes it so simple...a little bit of setup time to get the yak ready, but well worth it.
Can't wait to fish and hoop from it.
When tacking, you can peddle the Mirage Drive and really scoot through the turns.
I'll post some photos as soon as i get it and she gets on the water.

Last edited by Saba Slayer; 12-18-2015 at 09:37 AM.
Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 02:02 PM   #7
maquinapescado

Mr. Nice guy,

I can't help with your stowage question because I have a PA, but I imagine having it mounted in the sail insert, upright, is your only option unless you want to cram it into your bow hatch. You'll have to rig it up on the water if you do that. The mast breaks down into four pieces. I wouldn't want it mounted while fishing if a good size fish runs across the bow.

As far as the sailing goes, I really liked it and it was easy to do. The other day was the first time I tried it with my PA and I sailed it up and down the shore a hundred yards or so back and forth across the wind. I didn't try to sail with the wind because that is a no brainer.

I think I am going to keep it. I am going to upgrade to the tandem PA17 rudder for more than just sailing purposes (if is is possible). The wind was barely blowing and I was doing 3.4 kts.
Old 12-18-2015, 02:14 PM   #8
tunaseeker
TB Metal Art

Mr. Nieguy

I wish I would have brought mine yesterday, I was just tired and that light breeze would have been an easy sail in. But I always think it is kind of bulky and in the way in the yak next to me on the deck. But when I head in I always say I should have brought it! Catch 22. If I know the wind will be up or I go far out its a help or an insurance plan!
tunaseeker is offline   Reply With Quote