Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-26-2011, 08:48 AM   #1
wade

440 BBS

http://howtodoflorida.com/episode/ch...rdfish-battle/

i lived in Miami for over five years and used to fish & yak Islamorada a ton, i was lucky & got almost everything else outta there but never nabbed one Sword...(yet.....)

wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 11:57 AM   #2
dorado50

Swordfish from a kayak! I'm all in....LJ canyon is very deep.

dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 01:44 PM   #3
RedSledTeam
Daddeo

Don't be so hasty to do battle with the "Gladiator" of the Sea until you really get to know him!
RedSledTeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 02:47 PM   #4
dorado50

Do tell of your experience(s) of landing one from the kayak. I have yet do do so from the kayak,nor have I yet to bag a marlin from the kayak.
Old 02-28-2011, 04:28 PM   #5
Nic D

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado50 View Post
Do tell of your experience(s) of landing one from the kayak. I have yet do do so from the kayak,nor have I yet to bag a marlin from the kayak.
Im all ears too
Nic D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 04:52 PM   #6
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Here is an excellent kayak fishing video that shows Matt Moyer fishing with Jim Sammons while Matt catches a nice Marlin. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZyv3VHHbv8

There is an even better video out there somewhere showing both Jim and another yak fisher who looks a lot like our favorite PAL, while both are hooked up with marlin. If I remember correctly there are a few frames in the video that show the two kayaks close together and both marlins flying out of the water together. Pretty amazing.

I would like to see that video again. Even better, I would like to have that experience one of these days.

Bob

Last edited by dsafety; 02-28-2011 at 06:37 PM.
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 04:55 PM   #7
Iceman
Administrator

pointy fish from the kayak is just silly
Old 02-28-2011, 07:10 PM   #8
T Bone

Most "Fisherman" think yak fishing is silly.My brother the sportboat captain finally shut up when I landed a 60# seabass.It takes that kind of an emphatic statement sometimes...

"Who among you,if your son asked for a fish would give them a serpent " Jesus Matt. 7:10
T Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 07:41 PM   #9
dorado50

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsafety View Post
Here is an excellent kayak fishing video that shows Matt Moyer fishing with Jim Sammons while Matt catches a nice Marlin. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZyv3VHHbv8

There is an even better video out there somewhere showing both Jim and another yak fisher who looks a lot like our favorite PAL, while both are hooked up with marlin. If I remember correctly there are a few frames in the video that show the two kayaks close together and both marlins flying out of the water together. Pretty amazing.

I would like to see that video again. Even better, I would like to have that experience one of these days.

Bob

catching a stripped marlin from a kayak is epic for sure, however we are talking about swordfish here!! Can you share your experience ?. I would venture to guess that a 150lb. swordy could be doable from a Hobie kayak. Anything larger and u can kiss your ass goodbye. Also expect a three to four hour ordeal. If waters are right this season I may take the lights and big gear out in search....
Old 03-01-2011, 12:33 AM   #10
RedSledTeam
Daddeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSledTeam View Post
Don't be so hasty to do battle with the "Gladiator" of the Sea until you really get to know him!
An old dive buddy of mine who introduced me to spearfishing told me a story about a legendary guy named "Outboard Jack" who was a very big guy with a lifetime of ocean spearing experience way back in the 70's who speared a Swordie off the Avalon bank. To make a long story short, there wasn't a happy ending to the story and all that was left of Jack was a brown stain in the 500' of 1/4 inch line he had attatched to his spear.

In my heyday of spearfishing, I chased a swordie in the blue water outside of Todos Santos Islands years ago but didn't get close enough to let the spear fly. I have also heard of others who have sought the swordie with no success. Then I met a Professional "Stick boat" Captain who enlightened me on the hazards of swordfishing who he appropriately named the "Gladiator of the Sea". He told me a story of a large 650 lb fish that he "stuck" one morning that came back to life after he thought the fish was dead while he was hoisting the fish on deck. That fish towed his bouys around all day (>12hrs) and appeared to be dead, until the fish's bill hit the side gunnel of his vessel and sprang to life and thrashed around and left a large gash at least 3/4" deep in 3 inches of solid fiberglass!

I've heard of swordies charging divers who were in pursuit, came straight at them and veered off at the last minute. Swordies do battle with Makos every day and are the meanest fish in the sea. So, I would not recommend getting anywhere close enough to feel the business end of the bill like in a kayak! 3 to 4 feet of wildly swinging "broad bill" with 200 to 600 pounds of fish attatched is just not safe to be around!

In retrospect, I think about that day when I chased down the swordie and remember the long exhausting swim in the bluewater and I can still see the gracious underwater beast in my mind and I wonder what if I took the the shot?
Old 03-01-2011, 06:16 AM   #11
T Bone

I have seen them on the surface,sunning themselves.Occaisionally they will take a mac when you toss it to them but we could never get them to bite.

"Who among you,if your son asked for a fish would give them a serpent " Jesus Matt. 7:10
T Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 07:11 AM   #12
dorado50

"Take risks not to escape life... but to prevent life from escaping". Bringing a sword to kayak boatside is pure stupid!(unless it expired) Catching one from a kayak...heaven on earth. Thanks for the motivation!!
Old 03-01-2011, 07:25 AM   #13
RedSledTeam
Daddeo

Cheers Amigo!
Old 03-01-2011, 09:37 AM   #14
Billy V

Now I got my taste buds all set for swordfish.
-Let me see if I can catch one.....

Whoa Nellie --- There Ya Go -- Hook Up!

http://www.catalinaop.com/Frozen_Swo..._p/fish_e3.htm

That was too easy. Bring on the Tiger Shark.