Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2012, 01:55 PM   #1
KatFish

Girl Power SD Harbor 04/20/2012

Well I went out for the first time without the hubby! I didn't do so bad. Caught a sculpin and a bass. I had my friend come she caught a sculpin too! We had a blast for a couple of hours while my daughter was in school. Water was calm and not to much boat traffic.
Attached Images

KatFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 02:12 PM   #2
mtnbykr2

Alright Katfish you go girl....hopefully you left somethin for us weekend warriors I will be there saturday sunday, weather should be great...
thanks for the report
Old 04-20-2012, 02:14 PM   #3
Gigafish

Great pics, nice bass. Thanks for sharing.
Gigafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 02:35 PM   #4
blitzburgh

Way to go!
Old 04-20-2012, 03:34 PM   #5
Monovasia

Well done!

Great way to spend a couple of hours.....
Monovasia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 03:46 PM   #6
NEEFFF

Old 04-20-2012, 09:41 PM   #7
Amish Ed

Good to see some reports from the ladies. Keep it up.
Old 04-21-2012, 11:49 AM   #8
NextBite

WTG! Kat
NextBite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 03:56 PM   #9
walrus

fun and tacos, who could ask for more?

Nice catch.
walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 06:24 AM   #10
KatFish

Thanks guys! I am hoping to catch a BIG fish I think my husband has brain washed me fishing is all I think about and sometimes dream about lol I wouldn't thought of fish tacos but yummy I will make some now : ) my husband has taught me to load all the gear and to get them off the hook, bait the hook and measure them now the only thing left to teach me is how to do knots and stuff but that's coming very soon because I lost the hook this week on my poll but at least was smart enough to bring a back up just in case. But sucks I want to go this week and now I don't know how to tie my own hooks lmfao but I guess it won't kill me to wait until this weekend when he's home
Old 04-22-2012, 12:23 PM   #11
radastaff

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatFish View Post
Thanks guys! I am hoping to catch a BIG fish I think my husband has brain washed me fishing is all I think about and sometimes dream about lol I wouldn't thought of fish tacos but yummy I will make some now : ) my husband has taught me to load all the gear and to get them off the hook, bait the hook and measure them now the only thing left to teach me is how to do knots and stuff but that's coming very soon because I lost the hook this week on my poll but at least was smart enough to bring a back up just in case. But sucks I want to go this week and now I don't know how to tie my own hooks lmfao but I guess it won't kill me to wait until this weekend when he's home
palomar knot
if u just learn one knot
thats the one to learn

http://www.getbentsportfishing.com/h...fishing-knots/
this is a great resource for trying to learn it on ure own

the second would be the dropper loop
radastaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 01:42 PM   #12
THE DARKHORSE

Don't sell yourself short, little lady...

Quote:
Originally Posted by radastaff View Post
palomar knot
if u just learn one knot
thats the one to learn

http://www.getbentsportfishing.com/h...fishing-knots/
this is a great resource for trying to learn it on ure own

the second would be the dropper loop

I'm 100% confident, that in five minutes, you can learn to tie a knot that's of equal or greater strength than your hubbies. No doubt! Without selecting a knot for you, there's only one rule with tying a knot: A knot's either perfect or it's not. Learn what a perfect knot looks like and you're set. And never settle for a knot that, "kinda", looks right!

I've been tying the same knot since I was four years old. There's knots with higher breaking strength, but I continue to tie my knot of choice for a few reasons: For one, like I said, it's the same knot I've tied since I was a child. It's caught thousands of fish; so why change now? Secondly, it's very easy to tell if this knot is perfect---or not. The site above has my knot of choice listed as the, "half blood knot". Simply wrap the line six times and pass it back through the eye of the knot, lube with saliva (the most important part), and gingerly synch the knot until it's tight. Go ahead and give this knot a solid pull, though. As it's prone to slip if you don't. Never push the knot down with your fingers, though. It should synch down perfectly on it's own. If it doesn't, you're not handling the line properly. Like anything in life tying a good knot requires a bit of practice. If it looks machined down, "perfect", when you're done then it's good to go.

My advice is to go a step further, though: re-spool that reel with spectra and go drag a Greenback Mackerel around in local waters. When your hubby gets home and sees the giant ice-chest you had to buy from Costco---to fit that massive White Sea Bass---guaranteed happy marriage for life.

Or, he'll blow a gasket and never let you fish with him again.
Old 04-23-2012, 05:30 PM   #13
MrPukaShell

Great job on the Sculpin. They are one of the best for making ceviche. I usually clip the spines on their back to avoid any unnecessary pain when they come on board. Thanks for sharing and I agree with the rest. Google up some knots, get some extra weights and hooks and you will be well on your way. Good Luck
MrPukaShell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:29 AM   #14
taggermike

Well done Kat. SD Bay is a great fishery. There are plenty of websites that have excellent tutorials on way too many knots. Many have animated instructions that make following along easy. And like any thing else, practice makes perfect. I have learned maybe 20 knots over the years but but only use 4. Improved clinch, perfection loop, dropper loop, and back to back uni.
In your photos it looks like your sculpin still have thier spines intact. If you have a safe, secure place to store them thats ok, but if they are loose in your kayak it's a good habit to trim the spins. All the hard forward dorsal spines, anal spines and the pelvic fins are the ones that carry venom. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 01:52 PM   #15
KatFish

Cool thanks for all the tips! I will b fishing LaJolla for the first time his weekend so am hoping to catch something big lol I hope I don't freak out and fall in lmfao but I'll let you all know how it goes I did make fish tacos but damn it's just easier to stop at a taco shop I'll save it for frying from now on
Old 04-24-2012, 07:43 PM   #16
KatFish

my homemade fish tacos
Attached Images

Old 04-24-2012, 08:32 PM   #17
Gigafish

The surf is forecasted at 2.5 to 3ft. Less is more when going out the first time. Any questions you need help with please post.
Gigafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 10:55 PM   #18
KatFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigafish View Post
The surf is forecasted at 2.5 to 3ft. Less is more when going out the first time. Any questions you need help with please post.
THANKS! Will do