Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-27-2014, 07:10 PM   #1
87yota4runner

New to the forums. Cant wait to start yak fishing!

Whats up bigwater! My name is Brian and i live in the san bernardino mountains(between big bear and lake arrowhead). My brother has had a malibu pro explorer for a couple years and ive been trying to get one since. During my search i came across a bigwater member terry(cjkdad) and he said to check out the site. Finally i found a good trade(craigslist) and got my dad and I both cobra explorers that are in great condition. His is bone stock and in great condition. Mine has some more scratches but has a center hatch, front a-hatch, a surf to summit seat with attached bag and rod holder, as well as a scotty base by my left knee. Oh and a bendin branched whisper dream paddle(hope it works well there only $60 online)
Ive only fished out of my brothers kayak once and i lost the tiny uglystick setup that i got for my 5th birthday cause it had too short of a rod base and we didnt have bungies, so im definitely going to get some budgies to save my gear.
Im not sure if i want to add flush mount rod holders behind the seat or just use the ones built into the seat(seems like you could feel a good hit better with the seat)
I really want to ad a nice fish finder to the scotty base, and hopefully use one of those deck plugs to run the wiring through the hull so its removable for transport and storage.
Eventually ill need to set up a bait tank for when we go to dana point but ill mostly be fishing big bear and silverwood lake and cant use live bait for that.

If anyone has any tips or suggestions please feel free to chime in. Ive never rigged a kayak before but i have used the search bar extensively haha
Basically the target fish are Big and Small Mouth Bass, Trout, Crappie, Striper, Halibut, Thresher pups and hopefully some Tuna and Dorado.
Ill post some pics and hopefully ill b doing a rigging thread on them.
Thanks for reading!
Brian
87yota4runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 07:35 PM   #2
Monovasia

Welcome aboard Brian...

This is a great site, with great people….fishing the BWE from the kayak is a great rush...
Monovasia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 08:04 PM   #3
Big T
Member, You Member!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monovasia View Post
This is a great site, with great people….fishing the BWE from the kayak is a great rush...
Except for me. I'm a total prick.
Big T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 08:47 PM   #4
YakMedic

Welcome aboard, I fish big bear and Silverwood often. Both good places to do a short morning fishing session
YakMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 08:47 PM   #5
FISH11

Welcome aboard. You"ll find a lot of good tips and gear on this site. First sounds like you should get or make some leashes for all your gear. Sound like you found that out already. If you want to save some money for the other things then just buy some parachute cord (walmart for around $5) and make as many 3' leashes as you need and save the rest of the cord for many other uses you'll find. Tight lines. Mark
FISH11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 08:12 AM   #6
87yota4runner

Thanks for the welcome guys, sounds like cjkdad leaned to be a prick from you dudes haha. I love that most everyone on this site lives in socal, makes for better information.
And yakmedic, hopefully you have some good info on getting into a huge striper bite in silverwood. Ive heard that certain times a year you can even come across a full boil of them but ive only ever caught trout and crappie out of there.
I love the diy aspec of thigs so ill defiantely not be spendig $15-$25 per leash. I like the odea of the paracord for price, but i dont want a bunch of lines spiderwebbing around me when i roll, so im going to go with the coiled style. Ive read some great write ups on making them out of coiled cell phone chargers or even the guy who wraps weedeater line around a dowel and boils it to make his own coild. Ill start off using some velcrow i havle layaig around and eventually move to those ratcheting cable-cuff's from wally world.
Its raining like crazy up here today so hopefully i can get started on those.
Anyone have any insight on posting photos to this site using an iphone? Every time i try it opens the upload page in a new window and that signs me out and spoils my post. Do i have to download tapatalk or is there an easier way?
Ill search for my andwers in the mean time, but if aomeone is bored and knows the answer it would be really helpful!

Last edited by 87yota4runner; 02-28-2014 at 11:06 AM. Reason: Illiteracy, that and i sounded like i wanted to catch the clap rather than a striper!
87yota4runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 09:43 AM   #7
Dave k

Check out the Fred Hall show in Long Beach next week if you can. Good deals on gear and OEX will be there with a bunch of yaks that might give you some ideas on how to do your own. They'll have lots of accessories for sale too.
Dave k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 09:44 AM   #8
Carp
(⌐■_■)--︻╦╤─ - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87yota4runner View Post
Anyone have any insight on posting photos to this site using an iphone? Every time i try it opens the upload page in a new window and that signs me out and spoils my post. Do i have to download tapatalk or is there an easierway?
I use the photobucket app.
Old 02-28-2014, 09:53 AM   #9
Drake

"kayak" fishing
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1011201_10152989087075585_275484847_n.jpg (57.0 KB, 166 views)
Old 02-28-2014, 09:54 AM   #10
Drake

"Yak" fishing
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lesbeingsickateyemouth.jpg (38.1 KB, 162 views)
Old 02-28-2014, 10:10 AM   #11
Deamon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
"kayak" fishing

Ain't nothing like a late in the day yellow bite as you're setting up for a shot at WSB in the dark!!!
"The reality is that the wall was built to keep all Asians ~specifically Japanese and those that think they're japanese~ out of the U.S"

Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 10:34 AM   #12
Drake

"Yak" fishing
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1393615663423.jpg (41.5 KB, 156 views)
Old 02-28-2014, 10:37 AM   #13
addicted2sp33d
Here fishy fishy fishy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87yota4runner View Post
And yakmedic, hopefully you have some good info on getting into a huge stripper bite in silverwood.
Huge stripper bite action? No Thanks, I'll pass.

addicted2sp33d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 10:59 AM   #14
87yota4runner

I think thats the extremely abundant large mouth (b)ass, either that or a carp haha.
Old 02-28-2014, 02:43 PM   #15
GR6RR
Lucky Fisher

Just too funny. Didn't even notice all that until those other posts...
Old 03-01-2014, 01:01 PM   #16
87yota4runner

Pics finally
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (60.0 KB, 86 views)
Old 03-01-2014, 01:03 PM   #17
87yota4runner

Mo
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (54.7 KB, 88 views)
Old 03-01-2014, 01:05 PM   #18
87yota4runner

I suck at posting pics, I guess there sideways cause I took them on my iPhone in landscape mode?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (54.9 KB, 88 views)
Old 03-01-2014, 01:37 PM   #19
87yota4runner

Well the weathers crap up here so I made a paddle leash out of a computer cord, zip ties and a velcro strap I had laying around. Still need to grab some cell chargers and cable clamps to make two rod leashes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (70.1 KB, 85 views)
Old 03-01-2014, 01:51 PM   #20
Squid Vicious
plastic navey squid

...nice looking kayak...love those Cobras
Malibu Mini X F & D "anchovie "
Squid Vicious is offline   Reply With Quote