Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2009, 11:27 AM   #1
kq
Junior

hobie paddles!

a few months ago i bought a hobie outback and love it. BUT!! coming in and out of the surf one of the blades snapped off of the paddle, hobie replaced it but it just happened again! is it just me or has anybody else had this problem? think i'm gonna go with a different brand, any suggestions?

Last edited by kq; 09-09-2009 at 12:13 PM.
kq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 03:31 PM   #2
fishinkid2010

I've had the same problem happen with one of my Hobie paddles. It sounds like you got lucky that first time though! Hobie would not replace mine, but they were kind enough to offer me a discount on a new Hobie paddle. Other than that their customer service has been extraordinary! In fact, they just replaced my Revolution at no cost because of a problem with it.

To replace my broken paddle, I bought an Adventure Technology fiberglass paddle. Its a great paddle, just not super light. If you can afford carbon fiber, you'll definitely love it. But when having a kayak with peddles, carbon fiber is a bit over kill. haha
fishinkid2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 04:35 PM   #3
bellcon

Quote:
But when having a kayak with peddles, carbon fiber is a bit over kill. haha
Unless
you have a full set of trinidads and matching custom calstars
then a full carbon fiber paddle only makes sense

sound familiar?
bellcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 06:55 PM   #4
Billy V

I had a blade come loose on me so I bought a good paddle at OEX.

You could have an equipment failure on the Mirage Drive while 3 miles out.
It has happened to several of us.

Its like having a 2nd Motor.
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 02:34 PM   #5
yakrider

that's right Don...
F the cheap stuff!

hobie paddle suck balls...
went through two of them just like that...
the plastics blade actually pulled out of the metal....
POS for sure!
get a werner from OEX...
Andy hooked me up with one...
the best money I ever spent...
looks really good strapped to the side of the Hobie too...
kinda like pimpin' your ride!
looks awesome next to the trinidads and calstars!!!

and yes...
Billy V is right...
my Mirage drive has taken a crap and having the good paddle saved the day for sure!!!
yakrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 08:18 PM   #6
peguinpower
bing!

If Loomis made boxers, Josh there would have them
peguinpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 09:44 AM   #7
aclozer

same here

Mine just broke as well. Time to get a good one.
aclozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 10:22 AM   #8
kq
Junior

emailed hobie, thier gonna send me a fiberglass paddle. we'll see how that goes!
Old 09-12-2009, 01:11 PM   #9
SeaEagle_1

i have to admit i too have had a problem with my peddles. but not after i had owned my hobbie for for 2 yrs. my problem was the pole warped the plastic molding on the older design. but i am always shore landing with my peddles still in. mostly its landing in harbors and i watch out for rocks and pebbles. however i did go to catalina several months ago wtih pebbles all over the place. didn't have any problem with my peddles other then small pebbles in the chain. maybe i have just gotten lucky with my set of peddles.

not that they couldn't make them better!
SeaEagle_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 07:00 AM   #10
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

It happened to me too. The blade snapped off while I was trying to land in the surf. FastLane cheerfully replaced the paddle but advised me not to use these paddles in surf. They claimed this kind of usage was considered "abuse" and is not normally covered by Hobie's warranty.

With this recommendation in mind, I am working on a device that will teleport me and my loaded kayak to and from the beach without having to break out the paddle. All I will have to do is press a button and say the phrase "Beam me up Scottie".

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 09:46 AM   #11
kq
Junior

not supposed to use them in the surf?!?!?!?!?. well then i guess i was supposed to be psychic when i bought my kayak and asked for surf paddle also?!?!?!?!?
Old 09-14-2009, 11:20 AM   #12
-scallywag-
Banned

hobie paddles suck!!! i have broken at leat 3 the same as you. i have also expierenced the dreaded mast failure and also had one of the hub pins bust out....then again i beat my shit!!!! the moral of the story is don't rely on the hobie paddles (or peddles) always have a reliable backup or two!!
-scallywag- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 05:40 PM   #13
h2ofishfo

man i think ive use my paddle 3 times this whole year & once at the moyer tourney so the bait boat can pull me in . why would u use a paddle when landing in the surf when the mirage drive is much faster in beating a wave break ???but i guess to each there own
h2ofishfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 08:07 AM   #14
-scallywag-
Banned

When the surf is large using the paddle is the only way to go(unless you have an older outback, those are impossible to paddle). We all know the secret to landing in big surf is to not catch a cresting wave and stay perpendicular to the beach, sure the peddles are faster but you do not have the braking ability to back out of a cresting wave...then comes the steering issues, the rudder is easily over come if you do catch a wave.... then when you get sideways the rudder and peddles make the yak flip as opposed to sliding into the beach sideways. But what do I know...I fish the bay most of the time anyway
-scallywag- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 08:26 AM   #15
kq
Junior

yes and alot depends on the conditions. where i'm at the waves break very close to shore in really shallow water so in need to paddle in and out of the surf to not damage the mirage drive.
Old 09-17-2009, 07:00 PM   #16
h2ofishfo

i got the revo havent ate shit yet been from sanonofre to lj big surf time the set follow close to the last break keep an eye on the fish finder till u see the magic # 3 ft on the depth finder then jump off & pull rudder & pull the drive & drag in and i know easliy said then done but try practicing .
h2ofishfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 08:10 PM   #17
Gino

240 cm Bending Branches fiberglass paddle cost $130 has a measuring tape on the side for the quick length check.
Gino is offline   Reply With Quote