Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-2013, 12:59 PM   #1
GR6RR
Lucky Fisher

200 Years old.

Years old.

Quote:
Insurance adjuster catches 200-year-old rockfish off Alaska
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.1388041

Last edited by GR6RR; 07-03-2013 at 01:20 PM.
GR6RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 01:28 PM   #2
Raskal311

That should have been a catch and release...
Old 07-03-2013, 02:10 PM   #3
raffman55

Would not have survived from that depth.
Old 07-03-2013, 02:22 PM   #4
Fiskadoro

Absolute BS!!

A recreational angler caught one over sixty pounds something like five years back and it was estimated to be around hundred years old. This fish is third smaller, nice catch but probably no more seventy years old.

Rockfish grow old. If you don't like that fact don't fish them. The enviros put out this shit to get people to back their anti-fishing crusades. Don't buy into it.

This as a deepwater fish mostly caught in a 1000 to 2000 feet of water by the commercials supplying companies like Redlobster with filet dinners. If people don't want to eat mature fish they can start there.

Last edited by Fiskadoro; 07-03-2013 at 07:32 PM.
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 03:07 PM   #5
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiskadoro View Post
Absolute bullshit!!

A recreational angler caught one over sixty pounds something like five years back and it was estimated to be around hundred years old. That fish is third smaller, nice catch but probably no more seventy years old.

Rockfish grow old. If you don't like that don't fish them. The enviros put out this shit to get people to back their anti-fishing crusades. Don't buy into it.

This as a deepwater fish mostly caught in a 1000 to 2000 feet of water by the commercials supplying companies like Redlobster with filet dinners. If people don't want to eat mature fish they can start there.

That one big Rock fish!!!

Team: Disbanded
You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 02:25 PM   #6
Fiskadoro

Found a picture of the larger fish from back in 2007.

Longer, twenty pounds heavier, found to be less then half the age of what is being circulated as the "estimated" 200 year old current catch that's all over internet media.

Last edited by Fiskadoro; 07-03-2013 at 06:41 PM.
Old 07-03-2013, 07:29 PM   #7
Fiskadoro

Did some looking around. This current fish was taken in Alaska where the previous largest was around thirty pounds. In a interview a reporter asked a DFG official a regional manger how old the fish was. He said he did not know, but thought it might be 175 years or more.

Obviously he had no clue, and he is no Rockfish expert.

Of Course that didn't stop every stupid media outlet in the world from saying we are out there killing 200 year old fish.

This is why you have to be so careful about what you say to the media. Eventually someone might get around to publishing the true age of this fish but by then over half a million people will have seen the bogus story and will think we are killing fish as old as the Redwoods.

I learned about this the hard way when I was just a kid putting myself through collage part time fishing for a living.

After I caught a Striper larger then the state record a reporter showed up and asked a bunch of questions, one of which was: "Do you catch a lot of big fish?" I told him straight up that I was averaging a hundred stripers a year over ten pounds, with about a dozen over twenty, and a few over thirty each year. He then asked why I caught so many, and I told him I was on the water several days a week, and almost every day all summer, and since I fished so much I could recognize patterns which better allowed me to target the larger fish.

When the article came out that was turned into: "...Day kills hundreds of true trophy sized striped bass every year, when asked why he said "Skill and Tenacity"...."

Needless to say I got some shit for it.

People love to spin things for their benefit. They also like to take little things and make them into big things to piss people off, get a reaction, or paint someone they hate as the bad guy, especially now that we have message board, blog, youtube video viral type media fame.

Like I said watch what you say to the media because you never know how they will spin it.

It makes me sick to see this story all over the web with all the ignorant comments. The guy caught a legal fish, it's not as big as they get, or even the world record, it's just a big rockfish, and at the point he got it to the surface only good for mounting or dinner.

It's not the end of the world, these fish are not endangered, it's not like he broke into the National Gallery, stole the Constitution, then set it alight to start his BRBQ.

Sorry for the rant, these things tend to really piss me off. I just hate misinformation.

Jim

Last edited by Fiskadoro; 07-03-2013 at 07:34 PM.
Old 07-05-2013, 09:09 PM   #8
FlyFishinYakr

Location: Nor Cal...30 min from Bodega/Tomales Bay, 1hr from Clear Lake, 2+ hr to Berryessa & the Delta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiskadoro View Post
Did some looking around. This current fish was taken in Alaska where the previous largest was around thirty pounds. In a interview a reporter asked a DFG official a regional manger how old the fish was. He said he did not know, but thought it might be 175 years or more.

Obviously he had no clue, and he is no Rockfish expert.

Of Course that didn't stop every stupid media outlet in the world from saying we are out there killing 200 year old fish.

This is why you have to be so careful about what you say to the media. Eventually someone might get around to publishing the true age of this fish but by then over half a million people will have seen the bogus story and will think we are killing fish as old as the Redwoods.

I learned about this the hard way when I was just a kid putting myself through collage part time fishing for a living.

After I caught a Striper larger then the state record a reporter showed up and asked a bunch of questions, one of which was: "Do you catch a lot of big fish?" I told him straight up that I was averaging a hundred stripers a year over ten pounds, with about a dozen over twenty, and a few over thirty each year. He then asked why I caught so many, and I told him I was on the water several days a week, and almost every day all summer, and since I fished so much I could recognize patterns which better allowed me to target the larger fish.

When the article came out that was turned into: "...Day kills hundreds of true trophy sized striped bass every year, when asked why he said "Skill and Tenacity"...."

Needless to say I got some shit for it.

People love to spin things for their benefit. They also like to take little things and make them into big things to piss people off, get a reaction, or paint someone they hate as the bad guy, especially now that we have message board, blog, youtube video viral type media fame.

Like I said watch what you say to the media because you never know how they will spin it.

It makes me sick to see this story all over the web with all the ignorant comments. The guy caught a legal fish, it's not as big as they get, or even the world record, it's just a big rockfish, and at the point he got it to the surface only good for mounting or dinner.

It's not the end of the world, these fish are not endangered, it's not like he broke into the National Gallery, stole the Constitution, then set it alight to start his BRBQ.

Sorry for the rant, these things tend to really piss me off. I just hate misinformation.

Jim
X2,
News media like to sensationalize an event for the purposes of ratings.
I don't blame you Jim, this is not an endangered species! I'd worry more about White Seabass which we have to 'stock' or this species would have been extinct by this time (meaning no disrespect to most of us anglers). Calico bass may not be too far behind.
FFY
FlyFishinYakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 02:20 AM   #9
Hobie-Pedaller
Fish On !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFishinYakr View Post

.....News media like to sensationalize an event for the purposes of ratings....

THAT'S it right there.

ratings, website hits, etc make more money for the source.
and that is the common motivation for all sensationalized stories/headlines posted all over web & TV these days.

it's all about the money $$$.
MOST all of the writers/reporters these days, could care less about the actual truth or facts, in a story.

Kayak Fishing is a DRUG.... and I'm addicted !!
Hobie-Pedaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:35 AM   #10
Ddwineguy

UPDATE: 200-year-old fish is actually just middle-aged
If the 200-year-old fish was a lie, what can we truly believe in anymore?

By RUBIE EDMONDSON – July 9, 2013 at 2:02pm EDT
Last week, we told you about a very strange-looking fish that was estimated to be nearly 200 years old. The lucky catch, a shortraker rockfish, was reeled in by Henry Liebman during an Alaskan fishing trip with charter company Angling Unlimited. After posing for some photos, the rockfish was sent to the Alaska Department of Fish and Game to be officially aged.

Remember this friendly fish?

Henry Liebman poses with his rockfish. (AP Photo/Daily Sitka Sentinel, James Poulson)
As it turns out, the fish isn’t 200 years old at all. It’s not even close. According to Angling Unlimited, Liebman’s catch clocked in at a sprightly 64 years old.

While the fish’s purported age caused great excitement upon its discovery, the age had not been officially confirmed until now. And in fact, one marine biologist had a sinking feeling from the beginning. From Angling Unlimited:

“It’s impossible to age a rockfish once it has matured just by looking at it,” said Kristen Green, groundfish project leader for the Southeast Region of Alaska. “The [ear bones] are the only way to accurately determine its age.”

The oldest aged rockfish, a rougheye, was 205 years old and measured 32 inches. Liebman’s fish measured 41 inches, which encouraged unsubstantiated claims of a 200 year old fish. Green was hesitant to jump on the 200 year old bandwagon because of her knowledge of rockfish biology.

So while it wasn’t completely unreasonable to tout Liebman’s fish as possibly having lived through the Civil War, it was a bit of a long shot. The fish was actually born in 1949 — just after the end of World War II.

This is disappointing news, but it’s not a total wash. The fish is still a record-breaker: Its weight of 39.08 pounds smashed the previous benchmark of 38.68 pounds

Those that called bs on this board were right.
Ddwineguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:09 AM   #11
GR6RR
Lucky Fisher

Thanks for updating the thread with truthful information.
Old 07-09-2013, 11:33 AM   #12
lamb

Quote:
...U.S. bought Alaska from Russia in 1967
Doh... They don't even seem to have their history facts in check, no wonder they messed up the age....
Old 07-09-2013, 06:20 PM   #13
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddwineguy View Post
Those that called bs on this board were right.

Thanks!!!

My friend Robin posted the story about this catch of "The 200 year old fish" on my facebook page.

Here's what I said at the time:

"......Rockfish or West Coast Red Snapper type fishes are extremely long lived, but not that long lived. Life expediency is estimated as a maximum of possibly a 100 years. In 2007 a fishermen caught one that weighed 62 pounds and was measured at 112 centimeters. It was a third larger then the fish above and it was estimated to be around a hundred years old. If I had to guess I'd say that fish was between sixty to seventy years old...."

Well I was right and they were wrong.

I'm all for Environmental protection, and proper management, but I really hate it when people intentionally use misinformation to manipulate the public.

We don't even have those particular rockfish here and I knew how old it was. It's their job to manage those fish. They are saying it was just an honest mistake, but if I knew how old it was the Alaska management personal who put out the false information should of as well.

Last edited by Fiskadoro; 07-09-2013 at 06:41 PM.