Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 03-07-2021, 10:36 PM   #1
Cbs49er
Junior

Dropper loop question

So on my penn squall I have 65 lb braid and no topshot. When using the double dropper loop I was planning on using a barrel swivel to reduce line twisting. My question is should I connect the braid to the swivel and then my pretied dropper rig or should I connect some topshot with the braid and then use the topshot to connect onto the swivel? Was thinking about using 30lb fluoro but my LFS says 50lb mono is fine since the rockfish are so deep. Going on my buddies boat to Ventura but I’ll be using this setup on my kayak.
Cbs49er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 06:21 AM   #2
jruiz
Large Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbs49er View Post
So on my penn squall I have 65 lb braid and no topshot. When using the double dropper loop I was planning on using a barrel swivel to reduce line twisting. My question is should I connect the braid to the swivel and then my pretied dropper rig or should I connect some topshot with the braid and then use the topshot to connect onto the swivel? Was thinking about using 30lb fluoro but my LFS says 50lb mono is fine since the rockfish are so deep. Going on my buddies boat to Ventura but I’ll be using this setup on my kayak.
Braid directly to your leader. If you're going to use a swivel, put it where you attach your sinker. Most of your line twist happens as you're reeling in. I always pedal while I'm reeling in to keep my bait behind my leader.

Last edited by jruiz; 03-08-2021 at 06:28 AM.
jruiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 08:12 AM   #3
skrilla

Braid to swivel is fine for no frills freezer filler rockfishing.

Sometimes if fishing heavy structure where breakoffs are expected I'll have multiple pretied rigs at the ready. I'll have a heavy snap at the end of my braid and when a rig gets beat or broken I'll swap it out.

30lb or 40lb is fine, 50lb is a chore to break off on a kayak... hell even on a boat. Wind em in at a slower pace to avoid line twist or spinning them off.
Old 03-08-2021, 07:14 PM   #4
Cbs49er
Junior

Cool, thx guys
Cbs49er is offline   Reply With Quote