Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2012, 06:12 PM   #1
TATER
GET SOME !!!

Dana Point 2\24...

I didn't catch a dang thing... but it was a beautiful day. It was overcast until about 1100 but it was still very nice. We got to the boat ramp at about 0530 but it took us until about 0630 to launch because i had to get my buddy (who decided to give kayak fishing a whirl) all set up and ready to go. So I started to peddle away from the boat ramp when I noticed my rudder on my new\used outback was loose and wouldn't allow me to turn very well so after figuring it out (so i thought) I got moving again then once again it kept making me turn and pretty much spin out... so after continually messing with it i figured it would work OK for the day but I definitely need to fix it. So we paddled out to the kelp and began to fish. peddled around for a bit and still nothing. My buddy is definitely into kayak fishing and i think we're going to have someone else within the community.

Sorry this isn't much of a report but I'm hoping this year will be a good one and I hope to land at least one YT or WSB for the first time from my yak.

My pops also took his new pocket beagle out with him for the first time too and he did great hanging out but he most definitely hated the seals and the dines that were schooling.
TATER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 06:22 PM   #2
echo1er

hey... hey... you get some. or you get none. Thats big blue for you. As long as it was a day of fishing. Thats why we do it for. Hope the rudder problem gets look at. Tell your buddy to join the forum.
echo1er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 08:22 PM   #3
PapaDave

Next time you have a problem with your Hobie at DP, go see Tim at Dana Point Jet Ski, right across the harbor from the launch ramp, he'll get you fixed up and back on the water in no time. I speak from experience...
PapaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 10:05 PM   #4
Amish Ed

At least you made it out. Your buddy doesn't catch a thing, but is hooked. It's amazing how great kayak fishing is.
Old 02-26-2012, 05:46 AM   #5
Montesdad
Grey Haired Senior Member

We stopped and chatted on the way out when you were trying to work out the issues with your rudder - just need to tighten down the steering cables at the connections at the rudder and you should be good to go.

Stop by and see Tim and he'll give you a quick lesson on how to do that but it's pretty easy to figure out.

Keep on the yak, my buddie and I each got a halibut within an hour or two - mine was 28" and was released, his was 38" and maxed out Tim's 25 pound scale.

Lots of bass out there right now in and around the kelp beds.
Old 02-27-2012, 01:57 PM   #6
TATER
GET SOME !!!

ok cool. Thank you again for your help out there I really appreciate it. and next time for sure if i have a problem I will go over and talk with him.
Old 02-27-2012, 02:30 PM   #7
npdes
Junior

Sorry about the loose rudder for turning. I adjusted the rudder so it would go up and down easier. But never tightened it up for right/left turning. Here is a link to a pdf that shows how to adjust the steering (Steering Control Lines). It's pretty easy to do. By the way, your dad's dog is pretty awesome. I remember seeing him when I dropped off the Outback. Hope this helps.

http://2010.archive.hobiecat.com/sup...StowManual.pdf
npdes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 02:57 PM   #8
TATER
GET SOME !!!

Awesome thank you very much!!! Yeah he's a cool little guy he really liked bein out there!!! Thank you again for the help!!!