Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-15-2012, 09:01 AM   #1
tehburninator

sd bay report for 10/14

planned on leaving the house around 6:30/7 seeing as to how i left all my fishing gear at the buddies house.... got to his house at 8:45... hehe oops

got to shelter at 9 and got on the water by 9:15 with newly built bait tank, and hooked up hand me down fish finder. a 20 or so minute paddle to the fishing grounds that have been producing on the boat.... water was glassy, tide going the right direction and minimal winds i thought.... met up with my friend on the 17ft boat.. mooched off his live bait which were anchovies in the most beautiful condition i've seen in a long time and also to see them holding a 17lb and 15lb halibut... man i was so jelly....

fished the drift there 3 times... pulled up a total of 8 halibut, 4 lizard fish, 3 spotted bay bass, and 1 of something that ripped 15lb mono off my reel like panties off a stripper. broke at the hook = teeth on the feesh, felt much like a classic hali tugs with dead weight coming up and runs back down. ='( i'll get that trophy hali just yet!

drifted halfway down the jetty and started making my way back..... OH MY GOD the wind picked up, the water got super choppy and the current very powerful!

so i paddled for maybe another 20 mins... and couldnt do it anymore... dropped anchor and waited it out to get calmer.... it didnt.... so waited for my buddies to come back in.. they gave me a tow back in

deeply consider putting a trolling motor on the kayak at this point...

any comments on the trolling motor?

on the side note, i started with about 15-20 anchovies at about 4-6 inches long, the 3 hours i was there, the bait tank had no issues at all and none of the bait died

sorry no picks, no worth taking pics of... but they are definitely biting!!!!

oh side note, buddies pulled up 1 un marked lobster net, and bait guys gave them another one, :P now we have 8 between us! woohoo
tehburninator is offline   Reply With Quote