Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Waterís Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Waterís Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2019, 07:15 PM   #1
AlwaysFishing
Junior
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 25
Long Beach Inner Harbor - 10/20/19

Did a solo run this morning. Launched out of South Shore Launch Ramp. Got there around 7am and in the water by 7:30. Make sure you bring a couple of credit cards with you if you go here. I brought only one and the reader kept giving me an error. Luckily, there's a nice gentle and his nephew got me in and I paid him cash. This place does not take cash.
I headed to jettie next to Island Grissom and got an Ocean Whitefish and nothing else there. Made my way to Island White and fished around the island for little bit and got nothing to show for it. Decided to head back to Island Grissom and caught a small Calico, I think. Out of the water by 1pm.
Total trip was 5.8 miles and my legs were tired.
Name:  IMG_1102.jpg
Views: 800
Size:  45.0 KB

Name:  IMG_1100.jpg
Views: 777
Size:  52.8 KB

Name:  KayakRoute_102019.jpg
Views: 787
Size:  70.6 KB
AlwaysFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 10:43 PM   #2
FoodGeekFish
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 91
Rock wrasse - delicious tacos!
FoodGeekFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 04:49 AM   #3
Bgoes4112
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 9
Wow Awesome!
Bgoes4112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 03:00 PM   #4
AlwaysFishing
Junior
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoodGeekFish View Post
Rock wrasse - delicious tacos!
Thank you for the correct name. Is this fish common locally?
AlwaysFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 04:11 PM   #5
FoodGeekFish
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysFishing View Post
Thank you for the correct name. Is this fish common locally?
Relatively common along rocky structure/jetties. That's a female, and like sheephead, they change from female to male as they grow. It's unclear whether this is a progression for all fish, or a population response effect. The males are identifiable by a pronounced black stripe behind the gills.

https://www.pierfishing.com/rock-wrasse/
FoodGeekFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 04:41 PM   #6
AlwaysFishing
Junior
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoodGeekFish View Post
Relatively common along rocky structure/jetties. That's a female, and like sheephead, they change from female to male as they grow. It's unclear whether this is a progression for all fish, or a population response effect. The males are identifiable by a pronounced black stripe behind the gills.

https://www.pierfishing.com/rock-wrasse/
Cool info! Thank you!
AlwaysFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 05:15 PM   #7
fourtogo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 134
Distance

Hmm I underestimated that distance 5.8 . I did a solo around that area . Then out to the other two islands for a loop on each . Back to harbor entrance by oil island then back to ramp . I WAY UNDERESTIMATED HOW FAR I WENT . Good information that’s . I did all that for a really big sculpin for my only fish .
fourtogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 01:24 PM   #8
AlwaysFishing
Junior
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourtogo View Post
Hmm I underestimated that distance 5.8 . I did a solo around that area . Then out to the other two islands for a loop on each . Back to harbor entrance by oil island then back to ramp . I WAY UNDERESTIMATED HOW FAR I WENT . Good information thatís . I did all that for a really big sculpin for my only fish .

I went out again this past weekend, pretty much the same route. Only got a small perch and several small calico on squid. I was out mainly to test out the Bixpy motor I just installed. It was nice and flat though and very little wind.
AlwaysFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 03:15 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
© 2002 Big Water's Edge. All rights reserved.