Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-18-2008, 08:39 AM   #1
1Flatfish
Wayne

RE Pat Holmes Article on iron

I have what may be a dumb question. In Pat Holmes article about fishing the iron, He uses the term Yo Yo Iron. Is that in reference to the heavier iron as opposed to the lighter "Surface" iron? Or does "yo yo" reference the technique only? Does it matter which kind of iron you use for this technique? Does one swim better than the other? Just wondering because I want to know!
1Flatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 08:46 AM   #2
forefrazier

Yes. Heavier Iron....Surface irons being lighter do not sink with the same action and will kind of "float" down slowly rather than the heavier iron which can be sunk and retrieved (Yo-Yo'd) to the bottom and reeled back in quickly. Totally different techniques.
forefrazier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 08:50 AM   #3
MalibuJohnny

Yo YO

Jig Fishing Technique For Yellowtail
Jig fishing for this fish could be very fun and is considered to be very productive by most people. The Yo-Yo jig can be done by using a four to twelve ounce candy-bar type of jig. Once you have the jig, drop it to the bottom, which is usually not any deeper than 200 feet.

When you feel that you already hit the bottom, try to lift your jig off of it for four to five feet. Repeat this several times, then being followed by a very fast retrieve all the way up to the surface.

It is important to remember that it doesn’t matter how fast you are cranking, since the yellowtail would always be much faster than you. Once you feel that you’re bit, then there’s no mistaking it. Once this happens, don’t set the hook and just continue reeling. Once you feel that your catch is already swimming away from you, then that’s the time that you should set the hook.

Refer to animation:

Old 12-18-2008, 09:10 AM   #4
Geoffkoop

I have an old blue/white Salas YoYo 4 and an old Salas 6xjr. They dont feel like they are very heavy. They feel maybe 2 ounces. Are these surface irons or yoyo irons?

Thanks
Geoffkoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 09:27 AM   #5
forefrazier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffkoop View Post
I have an old blue/white Salas YoYo 4 and an old Salas 6xjr. They dont feel like they are very heavy. They feel maybe 2 ounces. Are these surface irons or yoyo irons?

Thanks
Both of those lures are 4.5 oz and are perfect for Yo Yo. The surface iron lures are generally larger in length but lighter 2-3 oz. (Tady C, Tady 45, etc)
forefrazier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 09:32 AM   #6
tylerdurden
Bad Clone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffkoop View Post

Thanks
There is both a 6xJr lite, and a heavier 6xJr. The heavier one is what most use to yoyo. I think the heavy one is ~4 oz ?

As for the speed, I think you can crank too fast. Yes a is always fast enough to catch the jig, but at too fast a speed the jig loses it's action and spins instead of kicks side to side. With the 6:1 high speed reels it is easier to crank too fast. I think many of the old articles about cranking as fast as you can are from back in the day when a penn jigmaster with a 4:1 was considered high speed.

Let the Fish and Game Commission know what you think about the proposed maps.

Be ready for December 9th and 10th.

Last edited by tylerdurden; 12-18-2008 at 09:38 AM. Reason: I pretend I'm literate
tylerdurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 03:41 PM   #7
Rusty

with the cranking speed thing.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote