Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2009, 03:06 PM   #1
1Flatfish
Wayne

Learnt me a lesson

My wife, Belen and I went out to the Oceanside artifishables early Saturday morning to see if anything was biting after the full moon. Sadly, not much was. To be expected. I managed two scorpions and that was it at the shallow piles. We decided to head deeper for the middle row to see if our luck would change. On the way out I pointed to the south at a cloud of birds that looked to be diving about a mile and a half away and I explained to Belen how it might be a school of bigger fish pushing a school of bait fish to the surface so the birds can get some too. Sure enough, a near by private boat headed over and the birds soon dispersed. When the boat left, the birds gathered again a little closer to us and seemed to be heading north. Closer to us, but still quite far to the west. As they got closer, I could see the flashing of dolphin on the surface under the diving pelicans. I explained to my wife this time, how I would go after the action if I ONLY BROUGHT MY IRON CHUCKER WITH ME! You see, I only brought bass gear, with the heaviest having 15lb leader with a swim bait on it. We watched for a while the surface action without much concern when suddenly, the birds and dolphin and boiling water turned straight for us! So when they were in range, I did the only thing I could do, I threw my swim bait at it and was immediately hooked up! But it was over in seconds because my light line immediately failed under the load. It sure felt like a yellowtail pull, but I can't say for sure. I guess it could have been a bonito or cuda, but I choose to dream. I did SEE some yellowtail swim under my yak just after I broke off. I chased the churn for as long as I could trolling a Yozuri through the action, but soon lost touch and the ball finally thinned out and the circus left town. The lesson: be ready for anything when out in the ocean, especially in summer. Sure, I wasn't in La Jolla. But the surface action showed up and I missed a great opportunity. Good for a story, but not good for table fare. No on the water photo opportunities this day, but I have only myself to blame.
1Flatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 09:51 PM   #2
Flatinfifth

Dodo's? YT??

Nice report friend. Thanks. Gives the rest of us HOPE.

Flat
Flatinfifth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 10:17 PM   #3
1Flatfish
Wayne

Dodo's

When I said "Dolphin", I meant "Porpoise". Sorry if I confused. More specifically, I think they were Pacific White Sided Dolphin. Not Dorado.
1Flatfish is offline   Reply With Quote