Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2009, 05:54 PM   #1
1Flatfish
Wayne

Oceanside Artifishables

Launched with Nate, Austin Ken and Tim at about 6:45 and we made our way out to the Artificial Reefs. Fishing was OK for me for a while, but was getting mostly small bass.

Nate and Austin had to head back in to the shop early. Tim (I hope I have your name right, if I don't, I apologize) headed in too after a bit which left me and Ken. We caught plenty of smallish bass on the first spot, so we decided to move to some of the shallower reefs where I could drop a marker buoy for reference. Strong North current today. Ken found the calico hole and caught many of this size and I caught a few more calicos too.

I was also finding some grumpies and landed this guy at about 10:30.

Ken and I fished for another half hour or so, hooking up on nearly every drift over the spot and decided to leave them biting. Nice day. The sun never showed, the current never eased, the swells never diminished. But at least the wind wasn't blowing hard and the water was fairly smooth for us. I had a great time. Thanks everybody. I'm so lucky to be able to do this. I fished the drop shot, swim baits and Jetty Worms. All worked. The biggun was caught on a white head Trix Jetty Worm with a large Kalin grub and some stink. Yes, I'm wearing socks!

Wayne
1Flatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 09:44 PM   #2
aftahour

nice going guys..
aftahour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 09:29 AM   #3
THE DARKHORSE

Looks like a fun trip.

When wearing colorful socks keep your feet in the kayak .
Old 05-15-2009, 09:54 AM   #4
Trout
Looks are everything

I am skipping the 'yak fishing tomorrow to take my son out on our little skiff in O'side. I've only drifted for halibut on the outside (from the 'yak) and never found much structure. Any way to find the artificial reef without GPS? Mine took a dump, so I am out of luck right now. Is it marked with buoys? Any coordinates would be appreciated. My oldest son, Niko, is 11 and is pumped to get out there and find some bass (or anything). We'll have some live dines, fresh dead squid and artificials.

Aloha,
Trout
Old 05-15-2009, 10:18 AM   #5
zinkysd
Hobie Fishing Team

Sorry the reefs aren't marked with bouys. You kind of need a gps or a good fishfinder to locate them. If it wasn't for Wayne's gps it would have taking me a while to find them. The good thing is at there are multiple small reefs running parallel to the beach. Just keep an eye on your Fishfinder for them, remember they're small. Here is a link for the gps # for the Oside reef we fished. http://www.dfg.ca.gov/marine/artificialreefs/index.asp
Good luck out there. It was some of the best structure calico fishing I have in awhile . Hope this helps.

Ken
zinkysd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 07:06 AM   #6
Trout
Looks are everything

Never found 'em, so it ended up being "attack of the killer sand dabs" day. The grom had a great time anyway and got a bass and short flatty.

Thanks for the link...