Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 02-19-2010, 02:33 PM   #1
1Flatfish
Wayne

Knot Longevity

The postponed Oceanside Tourney leads me to ask a weird question. How long does a fishing line knot hold it's strength? (Assuming it's a well tied knot of course.) Does a fishing line knot lose it's strength and reliability over time? I'm talking about the knot itself, not normal line deterioration or aging. If I tied a knot the night before a tournament and it was canceled, could I still count on that knot one week later? Two weeks? I just wonder if anybody has thought about this.

Wayne
1Flatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 02:44 PM   #2
Gino

I think it just all depend son the lb test your using and what knot.

Polomar knot is pretty strong and it last long time for me when using 20-40lb test mono/floro
Gino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 03:19 PM   #3
thien

My go to knot is the uni and palomar for jigs.
thien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 04:51 PM   #4
deepdvr

I've wondered the same thing and to date I haven't had a problem with leaving my jigs or bait setups on for months. If I hook into something, I'll definitely retie before the next outing.
deepdvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 05:28 PM   #5
stairman

no, you must retie knots on the average of twice per hour...especially when the rods and reels are sitting in your garage...the line deteriorates most when sitting in your garage not being used.If you fish everyday the knots will hold forever.

ok yes iam being a jerk....my guess would be that a well tied knot properly tied with enough lubrication to satisfy the randiest young women will be good for the same life as the line...but why take chances cut off a couple of feet and retie if in doubt.
stairman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 08:51 PM   #6
Billy V

I tie new rigs the night before.

Irons get tied on just before I drop them down to the deep 6.

All hardware is cut off at the end of the day, and pre-rigged fluro leaders like Carolina rigs have a 1 week grace period before I won't use them anymore.
-That might seem unnecessary, but my knots don't break.

You never know when the fish of a lifetime will pay you a visit, so be prepared.
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 08:56 PM   #7
Nic D

I haven't given it much thought.... I always tie knots the night before. Like fishing a tuna trip, I rig up as soon as I get on the boat. Wake up the next am and pin on a bait and get r done.

nic
Nic D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 09:13 PM   #8
yakrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy V View Post
I tie new rigs the night before.

Irons get tied on just before I drop them down to the deep 6.

All hardware is cut off at the end of the day, and pre-rigged fluro leaders like Carolina rigs have a 1 week grace period before I won't use them anymore.
-That might seem unnecessary, but my knots don't break.

You never know when the fish of a lifetime will pay you a visit, so be prepared.

my thoughts exactly
yakrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 09:39 PM   #9
dgax65
Guerro Grande

My knots usually hold up pretty good right up to the point where I get a bite.

This is actually a thought provoking question. I've always thought it reasonable to retie when the line was strained or worn, but I have never given much thought to loss of knot strength over time. I have left knots in place for weeks with no noticeable loss of strength. I use uni knots for just about everything, so maybe that knot doesn't put as much stress on the line.

I would be interested to hear if anybody has actually had a problem with this. To be a valid observation, it would have to be a case where old knots failed repeatedly and then the problem was solved by tying fresh knots. Anybody?
Old 02-19-2010, 09:47 PM   #10
Billy V

I always notice rust around the knot after using a rig.

This is abrasive and I would think it would compromise the knot. Even if I rinse it with fresh water it will still rust, so I do not reuse the rig.
--------------------
For unused rigs this does not apply, but it is reasonable to assume that a kink in the line is its weak point and a hook that is just sitting with a tied knot is a kink.
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 01:49 PM   #11
GregAndrew

I think the rust issue is a good point. However, if you are tying to something that does not rust or accumulate salt and you are using a highly rated knot (google fishing knot ratings), you should not run into problems for at least weeks if not months. A good knot tends to be one that does not excessively bind on itself or the part being tied to so there should be little degradation of the line from staying tied. However, as mentioned, the knots should have been lubed up before tightening in the first place. Also, once you have put the stress of a large fish on the knot, it may be binding on itself making it weaker. So, if you tie a bad knot type or don't moisten the line before tightening or fish the knot after working in a big fish, you are pushing your luck. That is my take, but I am definitely no mono/fluro expert.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 02:37 PM   #12
robmandel

depends on lots of things. I've had YT trips with the same jig tied on all day and landed several nice yellows. 30-40lb ande or big game, unless it gets frayed or something, I've found will hold all day. if I'm bait fishing, all depends on the line around the hook more than the knot.

I will usually rig up the night before so I know they hold overnight. I've sometimes kept my light spinning rod I use for the surf rigged even after fishing. a few days later, it's still fine. guess 6lb flouro leader is durable.

on the water, I'll only retie to change jigs or swimbaits. I break down the gear after each day on the water.

I like knots that double the line through the eye, like the palomar and trilene. if tied well, they'll last as long as needed. the only time I've had knots fail was when they were poorly tied.
robmandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 09:48 AM   #13
T-Rex

I've never had an "old" knot fail. I've only had knots fail when I screwed up tying them. Now I always test my knots and retie when in doubt (or they break).
T-Rex is offline   Reply With Quote