Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2013, 12:39 PM   #1
fisher_4_life

Late Report La Jolla Friday 1/25: Rain and more Rain!

Finally decided to make my maiden voyage on my kayak last Friday in La Jolla. Seeing how the weather was pretty much perfect the beginning of the week, I decided I would finally get out and fish La Jolla on Friday since it was my day off. Checked the surf report and it looked pretty small, then checked the weather report and it looked like it was going to be a pretty calm day with a chance of rain. As it got later in the work week I decided to check the weather report again and found out that it was supposed to rain pretty much all day. Oh well, I was determined to finally get out there and fish. Arrived at the launch on Friday at 6am to lots of rain and calm winds. Met up with my buddy and we got our gear together and successfully made our first surf launches. Once we were in legal fishing grounds I started making bait. Bait was plentiful and I quickly filled my bait tank with nice sized macks. Trolled the macks all over the place for nothing. Also tossed out the yoyo here and there for nada as well. Seeing how we were not getting any bites or any drier since the rain really wasn't looking like it was going to be letting up anytime soon, we decided to start heading in around 2pm. Made it back to the surf zone and we both successfully made our first beach landings. Only one other kayaker out braving the rain. The highlight of the trip was being able to see about 6 or 7 whales. Really cool to see up close from the kayak. Can't wait to get back out there soon and in some better weather!

[IMG][/IMG]
fisher_4_life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:01 PM   #2
dmrides

Awesome picture.
dmrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:45 PM   #3
janines.fishtales@cox.net

Nice! Good for you two and nice whales tail! I can't wait to post about my "first surf launch"! Soon...
Janine
Old 01-29-2013, 04:42 PM   #4
MattRabasco

Ha! I was the other one in the rain. Felt like I was a kid again. There is something really cool about fishing in rain like that. There was no wind, just steady rain most of the day. The rain drops on the water and the misty fog and the gray of it all and the whales made it hypnotic-felt
like I was in a dream. No boats - no yaks, just rain and one big ocean. No action for me either. Got a nice one the sunny Sunday before though! Glad you had a cool first time at LJ - I saw you at the launch that morning.
MattRabasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:19 PM   #5
JarrodMc

what a cool picture!
JarrodMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:18 AM   #6
fisher_4_life

Unfortunately I can't take credit for the photo. The picture is compliments of my buddy that I was fishing with.

Matt, I think you might have met my friend at the launch that morning. I arrived a few minutes later. He said that there was another kayaker who had already launched.
fisher_4_life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:42 PM   #7
seaquinn
wishin' I was fishin'

thanks for posting...

sure nice to just get out there.. whales make the day special. Now soon it is time for the big pulllllll of a big fish!
seaquinn is offline   Reply With Quote