Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-04-2009, 03:16 PM   #1
THE DARKHORSE

Can you feel it?

That change in the air, cool nights. Fall has arrived. Most of the country get's to experience the full brunt of each season, but in Southern California you never know. We could get that gradual cooling effect or the slap in the face of a major Winter storm. The good news is we survived the circus of the summer beach launch. As fun as it is to watch, functional Yes, clusterfu@& yes, I look forward to Labor Day each year as the beginning of the end...Summer crowds no more!

There's something special about those cool weather days when you've got "The Jewel" to yourself. We all love the wide-open days of summer, but those days when you search high and low to catch that trophy on your last spot of the day...those are the days I remember with a big smile on my face. Maybe that's just me.

There might be more fish around in the warmer months, but without a doubt I know which seasons I prefer. Some guys are sending in their reels to be serviced as we speak. Preparing them for proper burial on garage shelves until the fishing reports point to a "sure thing". For some that hibernation period is briefly interrupted for a couple days each Winter. I know plenty who have no desire to fish this Winter (work hard for fish...no way!), unless if, and only if they get a whiff of a loose lipped squid bite. Most all major squid bites get leaked, but the question is when. More and more I'm impressed by how long it takes for two people to tell two people. And if the bite isn't leaked for the first couple days, well, I'll just say I think it's great for the fishery.

Ahh, the days of hunting the elusive, larger/smarter fish, without a soul in sight. That's what it's all about!

On this day in particular, the air gave me the first tingle of what's to come. A cool morning with a crisp clear sky. By the time I had breakfast, the clouds pushed in with a slight Southerly breaze. I was even warned at the launch of a potential high wind warning by a fellow angler and told by a few that it was absolutely dead out there. My first thought: where's out there? I don't want to go there .

By the time I was making bait it began to sprinkle with dark clouds on the horizon. As expected, I arrived to an empty playground with a couple friends in the distance. The dogs made their routine rounds, the Bonita slammed the surface-iron on most every cast, and I found a fish that pulled a little harder than your average schoolie.

Did I mention that this will be the last season we fish La Jolla? I firmly believe we're going to be flushed down the drain, especially if, every man, woman, and child doesn't go to the next meeting. Reguardless of whatever hokey-pokey maps they've drawn up, I trust a powerboat running over my trolliing lines more than the Blue Ribbon Task Force. This is your last chance to speak up for La Jolla or lose it forever!

This is it!

Last edited by THE DARKHORSE; 10-04-2009 at 03:32 PM.
THE DARKHORSE is offline   Reply With Quote