Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2014, 12:06 PM   #1
CKallday71

LiPo for Fish Finder?

Just curious if anyone has ever considered using a 12V Lipo for their fish finder. They'd likely be considerably lighter than the 12V Lead Acid. I've found some 12V LiPos online for reasonable prices and I know that charging them can be a little more complicated but the weight savings think that it would be something people might look into.
Old 05-22-2014, 12:16 PM   #2
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

Are these the ones that could create a fire hazard when drained too low. If so, I would be scared having it on board.

http://www.badinfluencetattoo.com/gallery.php?artist=21
William Novotny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 12:18 PM   #3
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

Here is a wiki link to some hazards of lipo
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium_polymer_battery

Old 05-22-2014, 12:20 PM   #4
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

Says an explosion like fire cam occur in the event of a short circuit

Old 05-22-2014, 12:24 PM   #5
CKallday71

Most of that info is probably mostly outdated. They've been using LiPo batteries in Radio Control electric flying as well as Offroad and onroad Racing for Years now and they are a lot more safe now than they ever have been.
Old 05-22-2014, 12:33 PM   #6
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKallday71 View Post
Most of that info is probably mostly outdated. They've been using LiPo batteries in Radio Control electric flying as well as Offroad and onroad Racing for Years now and they are a lot more safe now than they ever have been.
Yeah it mentions radio controlled fliers in the wiki and how carefully those guys are with their connections. Also showed an expanded iPhone battery. I'm not speaking on personal experience, just saying look closely into. Measure risk vs. reward. Are the lead acid batteries really that heavy? I would stick with them just because they are maintenence free. Idk, I just feel I would always worry about it ifi had a lipo

Old 05-22-2014, 12:36 PM   #7
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

I'm not trying to be argumentative or anything. I'm clueless. Just from what I've read, I'd look closely at the risk and decide if it's safe or not

Old 05-22-2014, 12:39 PM   #8
jruiz
Large Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKallday71 View Post
Just curious if anyone has ever considered using a 12V Lipo for their fish finder. They'd likely be considerably lighter than the 12V Lead Acid. I've found some 12V LiPos online for reasonable prices and I know that charging them can be a little more complicated but the weight savings think that it would be something people might look into.
Many kayak fisherman are using LiPos and LiFeO4 batteries for FF and bait tanks. I use a LiPo for my FF and had a LiFeO4 that Greg helped get a group buy on for my bait tank. Besides the weight and space savings you expect to get a flatter discharge(higher efficiency vs rated capacity) and more cycle life(2x-3x).
jruiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 12:41 PM   #9
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jruiz View Post
Many kayak fisherman are using LiPos and LiFeO4 batteries for FF and bait tanks. I use a LiPo for my FF and had a LiFeO4 that Greg helped get a group buy on for my bait tank. Besides the weight and space savings you expect to get a flatter discharge(higher efficiency vs rated capacity) and more cycle life(2x-3x).
Will there you have it.

Old 05-22-2014, 12:41 PM   #10
Silbaugh4liberty
Fishing Patriot

I wouldn't mess with anything other than lead acid. They have the safest most reliable track record of all the batteries. I hate when engineers spec nicad on the projects I bid ( I sell commercial generators). Nicad are ten times the price and crap out easily. Just my opinion.
Old 05-22-2014, 12:50 PM   #11
Raskal311

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Novotny View Post
Are these the ones that could create a fire hazard when drained too low. If so, I would be scared having it on board.

I just picked up a 12v 20ah Lifepo4 from Bioenno came out to be just under $200 with a charger. The battery has a built in circuit that prevents it from draining too low or being over charged. I also have a 6v for my bait tank and its worked perfectly so far.
Old 05-22-2014, 12:54 PM   #12
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Novotny View Post
LiPo Batteries are becoming the go to type battery in the industry. Sure they may cost a little more initially, if cared for properly will last years longer than SLA batteries. We are using LiPo batteries here in the Hospitals with our powered patient carts and they batteries we use are warrantied for 5 years as apposed to 6 months like the SLA batteries carry. LiPo batteries can pop just like SLA batteries can. Also keep in mind to never store you batteries directly on concrete. If you have to place them on the ground, put some cardboard or something like that under them. If you place it directly on the ground it will drain you battery no matter what type you have.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 01:17 PM   #13
jruiz
Large Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyz123 View Post
Also keep in mind to never store you batteries directly on concrete. If you have to place them on the ground, put some cardboard or something like that under them. If you place it directly on the ground it will drain you battery no matter what type you have.
This was true a long time ago with lead acid batteries housed in rubber. Not the case today.
jruiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 01:29 PM   #14
driftwood

Ahh good question Ckallday. I have been using Lipo batterys for years. I use two 14.8v 5000mah lipo. Never had a problem. they're light and small and last me for about 3 days without recharching.

Its all water proof and its sits right under my seat.

Here is a pic of my set up.

IMG_20140522_134652.jpg

Just make sure you install a batt monitor.

Hobby King Battery Monitor 4S

Last edited by driftwood; 05-22-2014 at 01:51 PM.
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 01:32 PM   #15
CKallday71

That's great! I'm all about Lighter Weight, except for my fat arse. Can you give some part#s or model #s? What charger do you use for them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwood View Post
Ahh good question Ckallday. I have been using Lipo batterys for years. I use two 14.8v 5000mah lipo. Never had a problem. they're light and small and last me for about 3 days with out recharching.

Its all water proof and its sits right under my seat.

Here is a pic of my set up.

Attachment 12480

Just make sure you install a batt monitor.

Hobby King Battery Monitor 4S

Old 05-22-2014, 01:40 PM   #16
ccacher1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raskal311 View Post
I just picked up a 12v 20ah Lifepo4 from Bioenno came out to be just under $200 with a charger. The battery has a built in circuit that prevents it from draining too low or being over charged. I also have a 6v for my bait tank and its worked perfectly so far.
I have that exact same battery. Great battery and fits in a little pelican 1120 waterproof box. Also have the 6v lifpo for my bait tank. Havent had any issues with either battery so far. However, I might be hesitant to buy some random Lifepo4 battery off ebay but Bioenno seems to make quality stuff...at least I cant so otherwise yet.
Old 05-22-2014, 01:48 PM   #17
driftwood

make sure you know how to build one of these lipo FF set ups. If your good with parallel wiring it should be easy.

Here is the charger....the part # for the batt monitor is Hking4s

Item found in the following categories;
> Chargers & Accessories > Battery Chargers

RATED:
IMAX B6-AC Charger/Discharger 1-6 Cells (GENUINE)

Charge at home on 110/240v or in the field on 12v. The B6-AC handles both!
The IMAX B6-AC is a rock solid charger thats able to charge, balance and discharge Lion, LiPo, LiFe (A123), NiCd and NiMH batteries.
This is not a fake. It is a genuine IMAX B6. Our fault rate/returns on this charger are extremely low.
Features;
AC 100~240v or 12V DC input
Microprocessor controlled
Delta-peak sensitivity
Individual cell balancing
Li-ion, LiPo and LiFe capable
Ni-Cd and NiMH capable
Large range of charge currents
Store function, allows safe storage current
Time limit function
Input voltage monitoring. (Protects car batteries at the field)
Data storage (Store up to 5 packs in memory)
Battery break in and cycling.
Spec.
Input Voltage: 11~18v
Circuit power: Max Charge: 50W / Max Discharge: 5W
Charge Current Range: .1~5.0A
Discharge current range: .1~1.0A
Ni-MH/NiCd cells: 1~15
Li-ion/Poly cells: 1~6
Pb battery voltage: 2~20v
Weight: 580g
Dimensions: 133x87x33mm
This charger has a JST-XH charge plug, which makes it compatible with Zippy, HXT, TURNIGY and any pack with a JST adapter.
This is a Genuine iMAX B6AC charger. If you want a cheaper price, purchase the FAKE iMax B6. (search on the left for FY-B6AC)

PRODUCT ID: 9052000065-3

This product available from a warehouse near you!
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 01:56 PM   #18
CKallday71

This is why this is the best forum on the Internet. a HUGE variety of people with a HUGE depth of knowledge on various topics!

CKallDay

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwood View Post
make sure you know how to build one of these lipo FF set ups. If your good with parallel wiring it should be easy.

Here is the charger....the part # for the batt monitor is Hking4s

Item found in the following categories;
> Chargers & Accessories > Battery Chargers

RATED:
IMAX B6-AC Charger/Discharger 1-6 Cells (GENUINE)

Charge at home on 110/240v or in the field on 12v. The B6-AC handles both!
The IMAX B6-AC is a rock solid charger thats able to charge, balance and discharge Lion, LiPo, LiFe (A123), NiCd and NiMH batteries.
This is not a fake. It is a genuine IMAX B6. Our fault rate/returns on this charger are extremely low.
Features;
AC 100~240v or 12V DC input
Microprocessor controlled
Delta-peak sensitivity
Individual cell balancing
Li-ion, LiPo and LiFe capable
Ni-Cd and NiMH capable
Large range of charge currents
Store function, allows safe storage current
Time limit function
Input voltage monitoring. (Protects car batteries at the field)
Data storage (Store up to 5 packs in memory)
Battery break in and cycling.
Spec.
Input Voltage: 11~18v

Circuit power: Max Charge: 50W / Max Discharge: 5W
Charge Current Range: .1~5.0A
Discharge current range: .1~1.0A
Ni-MH/NiCd cells: 1~15
Li-ion/Poly cells: 1~6
Pb battery voltage: 2~20v
Weight: 580g
Dimensions: 133x87x33mm
This charger has a JST-XH charge plug, which makes it compatible with Zippy, HXT, TURNIGY and any pack with a JST adapter.
This is a Genuine iMAX B6AC charger. If you want a cheaper price, purchase the FAKE iMax B6. (search on the left for FY-B6AC)

PRODUCT ID: 9052000065-3

This product available from a warehouse near you!

Old 05-22-2014, 02:47 PM   #19
kauaiboy04

I use this product:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

See this post, and find the post by user Craig:

http://www.northwestkayakanglers.com...?topic=10523.0

Looks like this:

I got the 15Ah one (doesn't look like they sell them anymore), and have used it for 4 days going almost 8 hrs per use. That thing is still at 75% power. Super slim, lightweight, and has great power longevity. Product also comes with a handy AC charger AND a car charger. How can you go wrong? Just follow that installation guide in the post, and you can put that thing anywhere!

http://socalkayak.blogspot.com
kauaiboy04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 02:56 PM   #20
momo fish

That's a big discount. From 190 down to 45!!
momo fish is offline   Reply With Quote