Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 10-06-2010, 05:15 PM   #41
roadx

i believe a must see clip

http://www.youtube.com/user/mlpainfo.../0/onYvUZPjhNA
Old 10-06-2010, 05:57 PM   #42
zenspearo

If you have any doubt that the bullseye is on La Jolla, here it is.

SD Coastkeeper is working overtime to expand the closure in La Jolla even further beyond the already expansive IPA.

So the BRTF grabbed nearly all of Laguna coast in the IPA, and a huge chunk already South La Jolla. The reason offered was they already made "concession" in SD and PV. Now the pro-closure side is going back to capture more of La Jolla. So much for "compromise" and "concession."

And guess what? They are emboldened with the 11th hour substitution of Bayliss (of Heal the Bay) for the more neutral Sutsos among the Fish and Game Commissioners. If we don't show up, we likely will lose even more of La Jolla, even more than what the BRFT's IPA already took out.

http://www.sdcoastkeeper.org/quick-l...s/view/29.html

Our oceans are in trouble. On October 20, the California Fish and Game Commission will meet in San Diego to discuss a plan for a new system of marine protected areas (MPAs) along the Southern California coast. MPAs can help replenish depleted fish populations, restore ocean habitats and have proven an effective tool for restoring ocean health around the world.
San Diego Coastkeeper will be at the hearing in person supporting the expansion of a proposed marine reserve in south La Jolla, along with supporting many other MPAs in the south coast. This is the last discussion meeting of the Commission before the marine protected areas are adopted into law. We need passionate people like you to join us at this meeting to help ensure the Commission chooses a plan strong enough to work.
If you’re interested in attending and demonstrating your support in person (yep, just being a “body in the room” counts – public comment is optional), please rsvp here so we can keep you updated.
Can’t make the meeting (it’s a work day, we understand)? Consider taking just 23 seconds to send in this support letter instead. Thank you so much for your support!

Here's the text of the petition they want people to sign.

http://www.sdcoastkeeper.org/act/spe...ted-areas.html

Fish and Game Commissioners

c/o California Fish and Game Commission

1416 Ninth Street P.O. Box 944209

Sacramento, CA 94244-2090

Re: South La Jolla Marine Protected Areas

California Fish and Game Commissioners,

I’m writing to ask you to support the conservation plan, known as Proposal 3, for the Southern California Study Region of the Marine Life Protection Act, which will provide critical protection for south La Jolla. Over two million visitors are drawn to La Jolla each year, making its health and vitality of top-most concern to local residents and businesses.

The health of our ocean and the health of our economy cannot be separated. In order to maximize the bang for our conservation buck, we should follow the science and create a nine-square-mile reserve at south La Jolla.(Edit:) Please help keep this global attraction healthy and its tourism-based economy strong. (Edit: note the sly causation linkage--close the ocean and tourism will prosper. )

As California’s fish populations have declined over the past several decades, tourism and recreation have become increasingly important for coastal communities. Since 1990, revenues from commercial fishing have declined by more than half and the number of fishing boats calling at California ports has declined by nearly three quarters.

By protecting special places like south La Jolla, we can turn around this downward trend while keeping our tourism industry strong.

The Marine Life Protection Act is California’s chance to be a leader in ocean stewardship and science-based management. I urge you to seize that opportunity and adopt Proposal 3, and create a nine square-mile reserve at south La Jolla.(Edit: )

Sincerely,
[Your name]
[Your email address]
[Your mailing address]

Last edited by zenspearo; 10-07-2010 at 12:28 PM.
zenspearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 06:34 PM   #43
FISHIONADO

You don't hear the hardcore asking for help often, we are asking for help now. Please commit to showing up. This is too critical to ignore. Please stand up and pull your weight.
FISHIONADO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 07:27 PM   #44
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

October 20-21, 2010
Four Points by Sheraton
8110 Aero Drive
San Diego, CA

ROLL CALL!!!!

1. Chris
2. dmrides
3. deepdvr
4. dsafety
5. AQUATICHUNTER
6. SteveOOO
7. Dgax65
8. cowboybill
9. Fishionado
10. Old Rookie
11. PAL
12. Joe Beck
13. Kurt
14.Cabojohn
15. The Kid
16. CurtyL
17. Bluesquids
18. jbm
19. Matt
20. Tman
21. Clay
22. newguy01
23. WahooUSMA
24. Corey
25. Ohana
26. zinkysd
27. roadx
28. Tyler
29. Dan
30. C. Cary
31. dfroggy54
32. ???????
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 07:29 PM   #45
Matt
Support your local pangas

C'mon fellas let's smash theese fools in pure numbers!!!!!!
Old 10-06-2010, 09:02 PM   #46
bubblehide

Unfortunately I will be out of town. But give them hell!
bubblehide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 12:36 AM   #47
Billy V

I only wish we could settle this the old fashion way....

-I'll be there.
Old 10-07-2010, 10:49 AM   #48
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

October 20-21, 2010
Four Points by Sheraton

8110 Aero Drive
San Diego, CA

ROLL CALL!!!!

1. Chris
2. dmrides
3. deepdvr
4. dsafety
5. AQUATICHUNTER
6. SteveOOO
7. Dgax65
8. cowboybill
9. Fishionado
10. Old Rookie
11. PAL
12. Joe Beck
13. Kurt
14.Cabojohn
15. The Kid
16. CurtyL
17. Bluesquids
18. jbm
19. Matt
20. Tman
21. Clay
22. newguy01
23. WahooUSMA
24. Corey
25. Ohana
26. zinkysd
27. roadx
28. Tyler
29. Dan
30. C. Cary
31. dfroggy54
32. bubblehide
33. BillyV
34. ???????
Old 10-07-2010, 11:27 AM   #49
IntrntFshrman

If it's in the a.m. I will be there the 21st
IntrntFshrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 11:37 AM   #50
Jim Sammons LJKF

Thanks to everyone that will be there. I already had an East Cape trip planned or I would be there too. Kick some Ass for us
JimSammons.com
Jim Sammons LJKF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 02:44 PM   #51
PAL

We have a meeting time. The MLPA is agenda item #3 on Weds Oct 20. The meeting starts at 10 am.
PAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 06:32 PM   #52
fryguy

Warning - this will piss you off.

I don't mix work and play, but I love fishing, and this kills me. I have my own feelings about the MLPA, but this effort by the Coastkeeper is just plain dirty.

Just to give you an idea of the effort by Coastkeeper - they are going all in, and are intentionally recruiting uninformed people to sabotage the meeting. Here is a message that I recently recieved in my email. I've taken the liberty of omitting any identity information, so please don't ask me any questions about that.

Dear Teachers,
For those of you that do not know me, my name is *****. I am a senior This year I am **** Club Co-President along with ******.
As some of you may know, if you were approached by members of the *** Club, we were asked, by California Coast Keeper, to participate in a hearing about increasing the amount of marine reserves in the San Diego area. We are currently working on a short documentary, in support of developing these reserves, to present at the hearing. Additionally, *** Club was asked to spread the word about attending the hearing to the **** community.
The hearing will be on October 20th at the Sheritan Hotel on Arrow Rd. just off the 8. Coast Keeper has graciously offered to provide transportation, lunch and t-shirts for students and teachers who attend. Pick up would be around 9AM and hearing goes until 12PM. This is a great way to help protect our oceans from over fishing through showing our support for the new reserves.
**** Club, along with ***** will be attending the hearing and the more people who attend, the better. We are trying to get an accurate count of who will be attending this hearing by Thursday October 7th. If you would like to have your whole class attend the hearing that would be wonderful and the extra chaperons would be appreciated. Additionally, if you would like, students from **** Club can present to your class on the issue, allowing students to decide for themselves if they would like to attend, sending only a small percentage of your class. If you would not like your students to attend, it is understandable. If you have students that are planning to attend please have them find me or ***** for permission slips. Thank you for your time! If you have any questions, feel free to email me at *** or find me in school.

This drives me nuts. Trying to manipulate and use uninformed students for someone else's personal agenda is just plain wrong. I have a unique opportunity to address this issue head on, and any information that you can give, such as REAL evidence or reasons why not to support the MLPA, that I can present to my students would be a great help for our interests. Hell, I'm thinking about starting the KEEP SD FISHING club. Also, now that you know this is coming, it will be our fault for not being prepared. We should expect this at the meeting and prepare for it.

Dirty, dirty bastards.
fryguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 06:48 PM   #53
Tman
BRTF...bought & paid...

Wow...thanks for posting that. This is the little games the enviros are playing, please print that and bring it to the meeting.

At one of the meetings, kids were bused in, spent their whole time texting, chatting, but when someone (and we all know who he is), offered those same kids FREE 1/2 DAY FISHING TRIPS, the hands shot up in the air.

These people are going to pull out all the stops. They have done it before and they will do it again.

When we wore black shirts so they knew who we were and what we stood for, we were accused of intimidation.

When they handed out blue shirts, with sayings like, 'MLPA's work', it was okay, even though there were no MLPA's in place.

They will do whatever they can.

If they try that at my sons' school, they would be up for a major battle...

Tman
Gaffer for Clay the Fishcatcher
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 06:53 PM   #54
FISHIONADO

Thanks Fryguy, we need all the folks we can get to attend early to get the chairs up front. I attended one of the BTRF meetings in Long Beach (or Anaheim?) and during my public comments I called it disingenuous that the pro-closure groups had recruited all the high school students clogging the room and hallways. Looks like it will happen again.
FISHIONADO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 07:09 PM   #55
fryguy

oh yeah, can you guys add me to the list.

I'll be there, and I'll have some words for any of my former students that I see there, too.
fryguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 09:03 PM   #56
Grego

Chris, add the following to your list. Looks like most of the LA guys are sitting on the fence this time, maybe with the confirmed time a few more will commit.

Tattuna
Paintnfish
Kelpangler
Aquatic Hunter
TheLuckyPig
Grego
Grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 10:28 PM   #57
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

BREAKING NEWS!!! The MLPA is agenda item #3 for Weds Oct 20. The meeting starts at 10 am. Get there before 10AM, so we can coordinate and cede time... etc..

Four Points by Sheraton
8110 Aero Drive

San Diego, CA

ROLL CALL!!!!

1. Chris
2. dmrides
3. deepdvr
4. dsafety
5. AQUATICHUNTER
6. SteveOOO
7. Dgax65
8. cowboybill
9. Fishionado
10. Old Rookie
11. PAL
12. Joe Beck
13. Kurt
14.Cabojohn
15. The Kid
16. CurtyL
17. Bluesquids
18. jbm
19. Matt
20. Tman
21. Clay
22. newguy01
23. WahooUSMA
24. Corey
25. Ohana
26. zinkysd
27. roadx
28. Tyler
29. Dan
30. C. Cary
31. dfroggy54
32. bubblehide
33. BillyV
34. Mikecollins86
35. fryguy
36. Tattuna
37. Paintnfish
38. kelpangler
39. Aquatic Hunter
40. TheLuckyPig
41. Grego
42. ???????
Old 10-08-2010, 11:16 AM   #58
jbm

I posted this to www.scsurffishing.com. The shore fisherman will be equally affected.

http://www.scsurffishing.com/forums/...c.php?p=623690
jbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 12:41 PM   #59
MVC

I was waiting to see what day the public comment was going to be on. I will be there.
MVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 08:09 PM   #60
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Thanks Jbm, anyone committing to attend?

We need many more anglers, surprising to see the BWE regulars here not signup... hmmm

BREAKING NEWS!!! The MLPA is agenda item #3 for Weds Oct 20. The meeting starts at 10 am. Get there before 10AM, so we can coordinate and cede time... etc..

Four Points by Sheraton
8110 Aero Drive
San Diego, CA

ROLL CALL!!!!

1. Chris
2. dmrides
3. deepdvr
4. dsafety
5. AQUATICHUNTER
6. SteveOOO
7. Dgax65
8. cowboybill